Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do some volunteer work in a hospice or somewhere like Vitalise (google it, very rewarding!) during your gap year.

And you can go abroad and volunteer in projects without going with any of those rip off gap year programmes. I did and it was amazing and cheap. Google is your friend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Personally, I'd say that spending a year studying a course you have no intentions on pursuing is a waste. Not to mention the £10k of debt you'd land yourself in.
    if i do not get into medicine after trying again i can do this degree and eventually if i do not get into medicine grad entry i can pursue a career using this degree. it would not be a waste. and being realistic i know that medicine is so competitive and many people are unsuccessful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaloo)
    Do some volunteer work in a hospice or somewhere like Vitalise (google it, very rewarding!) during your gap year.

And you can go abroad and volunteer in projects without going with any of those rip off gap year programmes. I did and it was amazing and cheap. Google is your friend!
    what countries do you recommend? also would getting a job help?

ReputationRep:
    Which universities did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    if you haven't booked any gap year programmes abroad and all that as of yet, i say local charities/hospitals/volunteer work is all the better because it shows commitment and perserverence cos you're giving back to where you're frome etc. i would seriously dissuade u from doing one year of an undergrad degree only to reapply to med in the middle of it. that's just frowned upon...do either of the following if you really want to do med still:

1) forget your fifth and take a gap year to reapply next year but make sure you get your grades...!!!!! (plus lots of work exp etc)

or

2) do your fifth choice, get the best possible grades you can get ie work your socks off and then apply to grad entry med.

Good luck. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    what countries do you recommend? also would getting a job help?
    I went to Uruguay, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador.

I volunteered independently in Chile, Uruguay and Bolivia

http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net/

I'd particularly recommend Karumbe in Uruguay and the animal park in Bolivia, Inti Wari Yassi. You should find both on that site above. All countries were incredible in their own right.

As for will getting a job help? You mean for a medicine application? I don't see why unless you were working in a GP surgery and even then, your grades and BMAT matter more, surely.

Consider Peninsular University as one of your choices next year. They've a new medicine department and are comparatively undersubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckysLover)
    Yeah, however if she didn't get into med she'd still already have completed 1 year of biochem, leaving only two more to do before she could start on a grad course.
    I would argue that completing a degree just apply for GEM is wasting £30k to handicap yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to go abroad to make a gap year a good use of time!

ReputationRep:
    What are your credentials/current experience/where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    what do you recommend that i do in the year though because i have not applied to do one of those gap year programmes to go abroad.
    nope- id save that for if you dont get in again. theres no need for a gap year programme- volunteer locally, get hospital work experience- get a job to start saving for uni. if you wanted to travel you could do a shorter trip somewhere or apply for a scheme next summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaloo)

As for will getting a job help? You mean for a medicine application? I don't see why unless you were working in a GP surgery and even then, your grades and BMAT matter more, surely.
    actually its looked upon quite favourably as it shows commitment, the ability to work with people (normally) and that you did something productive (i.e. saved money for uni) with your gap year

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that completing a degree just apply for GEM is wasting £30k to handicap yourself.
    Fair point, some are lucky where funding for them isn't an issue. In hindsight, she's doing what she wanted at the end of the day, one way or another it worked. For her maybe that way the best option.
    OP could be totally different, as in he/she may not be in a suitable situation to afford another degree.

At the end of the day, if you're truely passionate about medicine, 30K in the long run wouldn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, if you're truely passionate about medicine, 30K in the long run wouldn't matter.
    What a ridiculous statement to make.

ReputationRep:
    Beat me to it.

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion
    No; what you are basically saying is that anyone who really wants to do medicine should be prepared to blow £30,000 on a whim that won't even help them. So you can boil passion to study down to how much money you are prepared to spend.

It isn't just an opinion to say that's nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    No; what you are basically saying is that anyone who really wants to do medicine should be prepared to blow £30,000 on a whim that won't even help them. So you can boil passion to study down to how much money you are prepared to spend.

It isn't just an opinion to say that's nonsense.
    Im going to use myself as an example. I got offers from UCL and Peninsula for med. However for matters which I'd rather not go into I had to turn them down. Taking gap year wasn't an option as I didn't know how long my particular problem would last. I took a biochem place at the closest decent uni to me, Birmingham.

Now even though Biochem isn't med, it isn't miles off, it's still science and I find some aspects of it very interesting. Taking 2 years out for me wasnt an option as I wanted to stay in the loop. Perosnally I'm more than happy to spend £30k to get into med again.

This isn't for everyone, but becuase I want it enough I'm willing to go through it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Im going to use myself as an example. I got offers from UCL and Peninsula for med. However for matters which I'd rather not go into I had to turn them down. Taking gap year wasn't an option as I didn't know how long my particular problem would last. I took a biochem place at the closest decent uni to me, Birmingham.

Now even though Biochem isn't med, it isn't miles off, it's still science and I find some aspects of it very interesting. Taking 2 years out for me wasnt an option as I wanted to stay in the loop. Perosnally I'm more than happy to spend £30k to get into med again.

This isn't for everyone, but becuase I want it enough I'm willing to go through it.
    What ever it was, it was bad enough to stop you from moving out, yet you manged to find time to do a degree.

New level of insanity right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    What ever it was, it was bad enough to stop you from moving out, yet you manged to find time to do a degree.

You have no idea what I went through. What I had to do. Or what my situation was. Why make asumptions? Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)

Harsh.

You are unaware of the circumstances, perhaps she had to be in a commutable distance to care for a relative (or something like that).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.