Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckysLover)
    Im going to use myself as an example. I got offers from UCL and Peninsula for med. However for matters which I'd rather not go into I had to turn them down. Taking gap year wasn't an option as I didn't know how long my particular problem would last. I took a biochem place at the closest decent uni to me, Birmingham.

Now even though Biochem isn't med, it isn't miles off, it's still science and I find some aspects of it very interesting. Taking 2 years out for me wasnt an option as I wanted to stay in the loop. Perosnally I'm more than happy to spend £30k to get into med again.

This isn't for everyone, but becuase I want it enough I'm willing to go through it.
    Fair enough, but that's not what you said; you stated that if you're passionate enough about medicine spending £30k won't matter to you.

You can't use your own personal situation and extrapolate that to determine the passion of someone for their subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overtherainbow)
    actually its looked upon quite favourably as it shows commitment, the ability to work with people (normally) and that you did something productive (i.e. saved money for uni) with your gap year
    Yes but doing voluntary work shows the same thing, whether the OP does it abroad or somewhere in the UK (again like Vitalise which I can't rec enough). Either way, neither is likely to be THE significant part of your UCAS application for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Fair enough, but that's not what you said; you stated that if you're passionate enough about medicine spending £30k won't matter to you.

You can't use your own personal situation and extrapolate that to determine the passion of someone for their subject.
    Yeah I came off quite wrong. I know where you're coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaloo)
    Yes but doing voluntary work shows the same thing, whether the OP does it abroad or somewhere in the UK (again like Vitalise which I can't rec enough). Either way, neither is likely to be THE significant part of your UCAS application for medicine.
    depends what you would call significant- i would expect everyone to have the grades, good bmat scores only matter for some unis as does the ukcat and you can apply where your strengths are in that respect. most people will have some voluntary experience (probably a year or mores commitment), work experience etc- they are all significant in that yes they are the first hurdles to overcome but the vast majority of applicants will have them and when it gets to that level any extra things you can add to your application to make it stand out become important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overtherainbow)
    depends what you would call significant- i would expect everyone to have the grades, good bmat scores only matter for some unis as does the ukcat and you can apply where your strengths are in that respect. most people will have some voluntary experience (probably a year or mores commitment), work experience etc- they are all significant in that yes they are the first hurdles to overcome but the vast majority of applicants will have them and when it gets to that level any extra things you can add to your application to make it stand out become important.
    By all means the OP should get a job rather than sitting on their bum for a gap year but I'm sure volunteering or travelling will also add exciting dimensions to their application and be a interesting way to pass time. Will getting a job be all that special? I've already said no and I stand by that. The OP can do what they like, as long as they do something. I just dn't see why selling a job to them as if it would "seal the deal" in a medical application helps matters because the truth is, if they have crap grades and a fantastically well-respected job, they still won't get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaloo)
    By all means the OP should get a job rather than sitting on their bum for a gap year but I'm sure volunteering or travelling will also add exciting dimensions to their application and be a interesting way to pass time. Will getting a job be all that special? I've already said no and I stand by that. The OP can do what they like, as long as they do something. I just dn't see why selling a job to them as if it would "seal the deal" in a medical application helps matters because the truth is, if they have crap grades and a fantastically well-respected job, they still won't get an offer.
    Im not saying it would "seal the deal" its probably about as good in your application as travelling would be, however 1 costs money and the other allows the OP to save money for uni- which is very useful. And i already said grades matter far far more but everyone has them whos a serious applicant

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.