Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    oh i remember this.
    im a good case of got out of taking a gap year, went through clearing. and happy as you can be and loving uni!

it's not the end of the world to take another route, which i thought it would be... i used to be quite dedicated to medicine but ive found that well life goes on and this year has been great. i couldnt have imagined not having come to uni and being on a pointless gap year (mine would have been pointless...)

just getting it out there that it's not the end of the world not doing medicine...........

ReputationRep:
    I live in Sheffield and recently applied to study medicine at Leicester, HYMS, Liverpool and Nottingham for entry in 2010. Having only received one interview at HYMS and straight rejections from the others I am left like so other medicine applicants thinking "what now?".

In my opinion I think that in August if i get the grades I'm predicted (AABa) I will take a gap year to boost my application, and then reapply as a stronger candidate. However if i do fall by the way side and say achieve ABBb or BBBb then studying a Bsci or Msci in Biochemistry seems the obvious choice. However as I don't know anyone that has followed this route I am unsure on what it entails in the way of cost, competitiveness, degree levels and anything at all actually.

So I suppose what I am asking you is what would you do?... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danjones92)
    I live in Sheffield and recently applied to study medicine at Leicester, HYMS, Liverpool and Nottingham for entry in 2010. Having only received one interview at HYMS and straight rejections from the others I am left like so other medicine applicants thinking "what now?".

In my opinion I think that in August if i get the grades I'm predicted (AABa) I will take a gap year to boost my application, and then reapply as a stronger candidate. However if i do fall by the way side and say achieve ABBb or BBBb then studying a Bsci or Msci in Biochemistry seems the obvious choice. However as I don't know anyone that has followed this route I am unsure on what it entails in the way of cost, competitiveness, degree levels and anything at all actually.

i'd think quite a few uni's are upping the grades to AAA next year.

ReputationRep:
    Work really hard this year, and whatever grades you get, take a gap year and get some experience in a hospital. Then, if you dont get the grades, but you still really do want to do medicine, apply for biochem. Sure its competitive, but if its what you want to do, dont let this put you off! Or if you do get the grades, reapply.
    Thats my advice

ReputationRep:

Ok, first of all I am sorry about that. Now, you have to decide what you want to do. The fact that you were rejected pre-interview for most of them means that the problem lies either in your grades, UKCAT?, or PS. All of these things can be improved for next year. Most importantly though, do you believe you can get in? I know that sounds naff but it is important, only you can decide where you go from here and if you believe that you can get in then you will not let this set back ruin everything.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    Even with AAB it may still be very difficult to get medicine offers. You could just do a Bsci then apply for a postgraduate medicine course. Work hard and aim for the AAAa, that will boost your chances.

good luck

ReputationRep:

After getting ABCa, and being predicted AAB. I too got four straight rejections.

I settled down, worked hard for my A2's, practically retook my AS Levels and managed to get AAAa and now have an offer from Imperial =]

Work hard, take a gap year, get some work experience and do some cool stuff on your gap year that you can talk about in interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Ok, first of all I am sorry about that. Now, you have to decide what you want to do. The fact that you were rejected pre-interview for most of them means that the problem lies either in your grades, UKCAT?, or PS. All of these things can be improved for next year. Most importantly though, do you believe you can get in? I know that sounds naff but it is important, only you can decide where you go from here and if you believe that you can get in then you will not let this set back ruin everything.

Good Luck.
    Thanks for the quick response,

in response to your queries my UKCAT score was 625, above average but not spectacular, my grades at GCSE were good 10 As and 2 A*s, A levels predicted AABa, but I believe the underlying problem to be my PS, no work experience. Its so difficult to get:mad: , all I have since applying was at the National Blood Service, which is good as it shows ive seen the lab/research side. But I do realise that for next year I do need to sort this out, but I cant beleive that someone who has spent a couple of weeks shadowing a GP is so much more capable than me to study medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Well you still have HYMS. It's not over until the fat lady sings.

Personally I would take up my Biomedical Sciences option, even if I obtained 3 A's because I feel that my work experience was not lacking, and that taking a gap year to get even more work experience would not improve my chances significantly. I would also take Biomed because I truly enjoy science and I can use the time at Uni to get all my extra curricular activities energy satisfied before I can bog down for a medical degree and find myself in terms of my style of learning. I don't mind the fact that it takes longer, because I love being a student and would stay one forever if I could.

However that is just my personal choice. I do recognise that most people would take a gap year. I suggest aiming for 3A's or better instead of AAB since the entry standards for some universities are going to increase, and so you will be limiting your choices.

ReputationRep:

Hi if you really want to study medicine reapply- i think that your AS grades may have let you down on this occasion. Also work experience is not hard to get if you apply early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Hi if you really want to study medicine reapply- i think that your AS grades may have let you down on this occasion. What was your ukcat btw?
    My UKCAT was 625, got 10 A's and 2 A*'s at GCSE. Not Amazing but not the worst academics used to get into medicine.

ReputationRep:

in response to your queries my UKCAT score was 625, above average but not spectacular, my grades at GCSE were good 10 As and 2 A*s, A levels predicted AABa, but I believe the underlying problem to be my PS, no work experience. Its so difficult to get:mad: , all I have since applying was at the National Blood Service, which is good as it shows ive seen the lab/research side. But I do realise that for next year I do need to sort this out, but I cant beleive that someone who has spent a couple of weeks shadowing a GP is so much more capable than me to study medicine.
    I agree with you, no matter how amazing your work experience, it does not really give an indication of suitability to become a doctor. I know that work experience is a ***** to get, maybe try contacting a support group for recovering drug addicts or something. I would have thought that they would be grateful for any help and something that isn't the classic '2 weeks in a hospital' may give you an edge. It shows that you are mature enough to go out there and tackle the dark side of society head on.

ReputationRep:

that was your issue, otherwise liverpool and hyms would have probably interviewed you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choongsta)
    After getting ABCa, and being predicted AAB. I too got four straight rejections.

I settled down, worked hard for my A2's, practically retook my AS Levels and managed to get AAAa and now have an offer from Imperial =]

Work hard, take a gap year, get some work experience and do some cool stuff on your gap year that you can talk about in interview.
    ohh, sweet dude. good on you :yes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Presidential)
    that was your issue, otherwise liverpool and hyms would have probably interviewed you.
    HYMS did interview me, they must have seen enough in me already to see that I was capable to study medicine, I think this shows that on other criteria I am strong enough so is possibly something I can take away from rejects, and get myself some WorkXP for next time round.

ReputationRep:
    HYMS did interview me, they must have seen enough in me already to see that I was capable to study medicine, I think this shows that on other criteria I am strong enough so is possibly something I can take away from rejects, and get myself some WorkXP for next time round.
    well to have gained an interview you beat approximately 600 people so your application was good, id apply hyms again. as for liverpool, they like work experience and empathy stuff in your statement which can be improved next year. Also If you get your ukcat up to around 650-700 then you would further increase your chances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Presidential)
    well to have gained an interview you beat approximately 600 people so your application was good, id apply hyms again. as for liverpool, they like work experience and empathy stuff in your statement which can be improved next year. Also If you get your ukcat up to around 650-700 then you would further increase your chances
    Yeah I totally agree, just gotta keep at it and not get disheartened.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I totally agree, just gotta keep at it and not get disheartened.
    thats the spirit, good luck man

ReputationRep:
    hey all :-) i really need some advice if possible.. i've now recieved 4 rejections for medicine, i have 1 biomedical offer, and i'd really just like some more opinions/info on this.

thing is: the bio med offer is at my first choice of uni, which i sort of had my heart set on going to.. i know there is the possibility of transferring after a year although i'd rather get my hopes too much about that one because it is such a small possibility.
    when i applied i knew that if i didn't get in, i would be happy to do the bio med course i applied for.. but i just don't feel i can make this decision without knowing as much as possible about my options.

really.. i would just like to know my options? and the advantages/disadvantages of the options?

(sorry for the essay.. this is the first time i've ever used this so i'm sort-of worried nobody will reply and i'll pretend i never wrote this. i hope that doesn't happen, lol.. )

ReputationRep:
    You could take a gap year, do medical related work and reapply

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 6, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.