Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    that is true. although theres the possibility of not getting in again next year because they'll probably want higher grades and at least bio-med is sort of another route into medicine.
    but what is the chance of getting in next year compared to the chance of getting in after getting a degree in biomedical sciences?
    thanks for the suggestion!

(oh okay, ah i'm not sure what SIG is..)

ReputationRep:
    Why would they want higher grades (what are your grades by the way)

Look around on the medicine forum, you might be able to find some more help there

ReputationRep:
    I was in almost the exact same position as you last year- 4 rejections, with an offer in Biomed (I'm on a gap year now!). At the time, I thought I really wanted to do Biomed as well, using it as a pathway into Medicine...but it all changed when I had my A-Level results.

I don't like how this sounds, but....why do you think you've been rejected?
    What are your predicted grades?

How I thought about it:

If you take a gap year, the biggest obstacle is planning. You need to spend the time you have wisely: gaining work experience (hospitals, GP, caring work and volunteering, maybe) and work on areas that may have let you down this time around. Getting a job would be of great benefit in this case too, giving you a chance to build on communication skills. You *may* get "rusty" at studying if you decide not to undertake any academic work.

If you take up the offer of biomed, you most probably wouldn't lose your academic momentum, and you'll most likely enjoy the course and student life. However, it is a three year course and you'll have to go through another 4 years in Medicine, should you still wish to study it. Also, graduate places in Medicine are extremely competitive and are becoming even more so each year.

However, either way you're going to need a reasonable amount of medical work experience and understanding of what it means to be a doctor. :woo:

Hope this helps, and sorry about the mini-essay!
    I know I've missed some things too- I'm a bit tired!

ReputationRep:
    Don't do Biomed if you don't want to do it.

You can get onto Medicine through Biomed but it is longer and harder.

Be prepared to become a Biomedical Scientist rather than a Doctor after 3 years if you choose this option.

Re-applying means you'd lose out on a year and in some cases, higher grades are asked for but if you can do something productive, gain the grades and gain some experience, this isn't such a bad idea.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Do some medicine related work during a gap year if your heart is set on medicine.

Don't do biomed just for the sake of it, you'll regret it and more than likely end up becoming a raging alcoholic with suicidal thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    Im on a Gap year like StarNova. I got lots of rejections last year so I took a Gap Year, and fortunately I have a couple of unconditionals now. There is something called UCAS extra which is good if you wanna ditch biomed for another course in the healthcare profession. I did just that: ditched Accounting and Finance and got an offer for Pharmacy. I agree with MJ in saying that you better be prepared to become a scientist after the 3 years of bio med.

Gap Years are brilliant if you use your time well. But you better, as StarNova says, be prepared to get a heck of a lot of work experience and develop transferable skills on your gap year, if you take one that is.

Check the UCAS extra stuff out.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!
    I've been so confused about taking a gap year to then go on and study medicine or to do biomedical science to then go through the GEP.

I'm not quite sure if universities like gap year students, I've heard mixed remarks. Some people say that if they didn't like you this year then they wont like you next year, and others say most people are successful second time round in their application so I'm really confused!

Did any of you take a gap year and then get into a medical school? If so tell me please that would boost my confidence a lot!

Also, What are some really impressive things to do in a gap year? I am SO eager to study medicine and I couldn't this year because of my UKCAT. Helpp me guys pleaseee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspiration9)
    Did any of you take a gap year and then get into a medical school?(
    I got in while on a gap year.

If you have a bad UKCAT score get practice books and spend 3 weeks preping before the test. Get that 100 interview questions book as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, might aswell explain my position. By the way, this is my first real post on these forums.

I applied for medicine this year from the US. I am not an international student but moved here after taking my GCSEs. Didn't do that well after getting 2A* 5As 1B 3Cs. Started to work harder here though and in total have earned over 600 ucas points (if i get my predicted grades) which is great.

My UKCAT score wasnt so impressive though and turned out to be an average of 600. I applied to Southampton, Leeds, KCL and QMUL. I currently have two rejections from KCL and QMUL but realizing that I will probably have to go on a gap year.

My dad says though I should take up another course since my maths skills are extremely good and introduced me into actuarial science. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AK33M123)
    Ok, might aswell explain my position. By the way, this is my first real post on these forums.

I applied for medicine this year from the US. I am not an international student but moved here after taking my GCSEs. Didn't do that well after getting 2A* 5As 1B 3Cs. Started to work harder here though and in total have earned over 600 ucas points (if i get my predicted grades) which is great.

My UKCAT score wasnt so impressive though and turned out to be an average of 600. I applied to Southampton, Leeds, KCL and QMUL. I currently have two rejections from KCL and QMUL but realizing that I will probably have to go on a gap year.

My dad says though I should take up another course since my maths skills are extremely good and introduced me into actuarial science. What should I do?
    First of all sorry about the rejections , You have to ask yourself, do you really want to do this? If not then I think that you should go and do something that you actually do want to do, waiting for another year may not be that fun. If it is what you want to do then make sure that you contact the unis and ask why you were unsuccessful, this will help you target your improvements. Don't forget that you still may get an offer!

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

ReputationRep:
    im unfortunately in the same position but i extra problems because i know my family wont let me go abroad to get the amazing work experience/experience from travelling the world

also i have a big extended family who i havent told them that im applying for medicine because i had a feeling that i would not get in but if i dont go to uni then they will start asking questions and it will be worse if i take a year out and still wont get in and the will just think im a reject lol...i know weird family

but i dunno whether i should take a year out and i dont know what i could be doing in that time either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihateusernames)
    im unfortunately in the same position but i extra problems because i know my family wont let me go abroad to get the amazing work experience/experience from travelling the world

also i have a big extended family who i havent told them that im applying for medicine because i had a feeling that i would not get in but if i dont go to uni then they will start asking questions and it will be worse if i take a year out and still wont get in and the will just think im a reject lol...i know weird family

but i dunno whether i should take a year out and i dont know what i could be doing in that time either
    You don't need to go to the other side of the planet to get work experience, if anything, it would probably not be an accurate reflection on what life as a doctor in the UK will be like. You've probably already done this but why not contact some GP's surgeries and ask if you can come in and observe. This is difficult to get I know but persevere.

You could also volunteer with the elderly, I know from experience that this can be extremely rewarding and the staff are usually delighted to have some help.

ReputationRep:
    Rejected from Soton today.

ReputationRep:
    To anyone who is thinking about taking the post graduate route to medicine then i think you should definitely look at St.Georges. If you do biomedical science then u can apply to do medicine if you have an average of at least 66% after your second year. If you get accepted then you have to finish your biomedical science degree but then enter the 3rd year of medicine. Therefore you only have to do one year more than a normal medicine course and i've heard that people who do medicine postgrad find it a lot easier and are more likely to do well. I dont think any other unis do this route into medicine and if you don't get an offer after year 2 than u can still apply postgraduate.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I was applying for deferred anyway so all the 4 rejections mean is a bit of a rejig of my gap year plans and a bit (a lot? :P) more worrying in my gap year.
    Anyway, hoping to work as a HCA summer 2010-spring 2011, then going to Nepal March-June to do healthcare volunteering. Hopefully New Zealand after that for a month (NZ = my home from home ) and depending on how much money I have, maybe going to see my friend in Florida for Warped Tour on the way home
    Plan!
    What's everyone else getting up to? All we can do is make the most of this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihateusernames)

I had to take a gap year this year and as much as i would have loved to go travelling i couldn't because a. like you i doubt my family would be overly enthusiastic about it but mainly b. i couldn't afford to. This didn't mean i didn't get amazing work experience in my gap year though!
    I had a job as a kitchen assistant in a care home and when a job as a care assistant came up there at the end of my a-levels i jumped at it! I've really enjoyed being able to do some 'hands on' work experience. I've applied dressings to pressure sores, updated care plans, accompanied residents to hospital and granted, it's not the most exciting thing I'll ever do, but it has all been relevant! I've also volunteered in a local hospital for only four hours every week but I've made the most of it by pestering doctors and asking if I could shadow them and what they think of the job. There's so much you can do! (If you want to know what else I did for work experience/to pass the time just ask C: )
    I had the big extended family problem too...although mine did know I was going for medicine because my Nana (after getting a little confused) told them I had already got in! Bad times. When I didn't get in last year I just explained that I had decided to work for a year to save some money for uni and that I was applying for 2010 entry...not a lie but not the whole truth :P Is the fear of being thought of as a 'reject' really worth giving up your dream? My school's careers teacher told me to not bother reapplying because medical schools don't like 'rejects' as she so kindly put it and for the rest of my time in school I felt really bad about myself. But now I have 4 interview invites, no rejections (so far :P) and one unconditional offer for medicine and imo all my hard work has been so worth it

To conclude...go for the gap year!! (sorry for the essay)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspiration9)
    Hey guys!
    I've been so confused about taking a gap year to then go on and study medicine or to do biomedical science to then go through the GEP.

I'm not quite sure if universities like gap year students, I've heard mixed remarks. Some people say that if they didn't like you this year then they wont like you next year, and others say most people are successful second time round in their application so I'm really confused!

Did any of you take a gap year and then get into a medical school? If so tell me please that would boost my confidence a lot!

Also, What are some really impressive things to do in a gap year? I am SO eager to study medicine and I couldn't this year because of my UKCAT. Helpp me guys pleaseee
    I took a gap year and am now at medical school You'd be surprised and the kinds of people who are on your course, I'd say like a third of the 5 year course students here at Barts are actually graduates, another large chunk are gap year students, others straight from school with a few mature students.

Well with regards to applying again, it depends...
    If you were interviewed before, chances are you won't get another interview unless they state they will interview people previously interviewed and you have improved your application by quite a bit.
    If you weren't interviewed before you have a chance of getting an interview if you manage to meet those requirements and of course appear better than the others applying to the same place.

You can do loads of things in your gap year. Maybe get some work experience, possibly a paid one such as a HCA job. If not maybe travel a bit (if you have the money, if not earn some!)

All in all as long as you do something worthwhile in your gap year you stand a good chance if you apply with a bit of thought to what the place wants, improve your application somehow etc

If your problem is the UKCAT, then if you do reapply I suggest practicing on the types of questions they ask, it really does help improve your score, but at the same time it isn't worth spending loads on courses/books etc. But also don't go overboard as there is probably a limit to number of practice things out there so don't start too early :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you do decide on doing GEP, biomed isnt the only degree that's acceptable!
    You could do engineering (bio/chemical) or even chemistry/biology/physio etc.

I went into chem eng last summer because I thought I still had the GEP option open, and it's the stuff I'm good at......
    and I do know of people who have done 3 years on my course and have gone onto GEP schemes at other unis and are very happy with it.

but each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    Get your PS off there now.

ReputationRep:
    Choose UCL

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.