Turn on thread page Beta

READ THIS If you have 4 medicine rejections watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seniocs)
    Hi everyone,

I am sorry that this is another “4 rejections – wht should I do” thread… but hope you can give your opinion in my case. :o:

I have recently applied to Medicine, but got rejected from all 4 unis (Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh and Southampton)… now I got to choose from Biomedicine at UCL or gap year.

I realize now that my choices for medicine were a bit risky… but, since I had 4 A*s predicted at A level, no one whom I asked for opinion said anything… anyway… it doesn't really matter now…

I’m an oversea student which moved to Britain a few years ago, in fact I came here with the aim to study medicine, since my home country doesn’t have medicine course. I did my gsce (4A*s and 6As) and currently doin my a levels. Apart from the normal 4 subjects (physics, chemistry, biology and maths) I did Portuguese A level and Chinese AS level and Extended Project. I messed up the BMAT really badly, and UKCAT was average (670ish). Work experience-wise, I did 1 month at dental surgery, whole summer holidays at nursing home, monthly volunteering at another hospice and 1 week at hospital. EC: G8 piano, Tennis, School Prefect…

Now my question is: should I take a gap year and reapply next year to less “top unis” or should I go for the UCL biomedicine and apply to medicine as graduate?

The only thing I’m hesitating for not going for Gap Year, is that I’ve moved away from home for 4 years already. I’m living with a host family for all this time… so in other words these 4 years I had an experience that many would have by taking gap year. Like… looking at other cultures, and strengthening my independence… Im really not sure if I would want to “wait” any longer. And also, would stop studying 1 year make you feel more relaxed towards education? like... will i still be able to concentrate as much as before? that kind of stuff

I am aware that graduate entry for medicine is much more competitive… but, on the other hand, if I take biomedicine (3 yr course) and take away the time from gap year and the “year 1 of medicine (grad)” that would mean I will have just spent 1 year on the biomedicine course. Would that worth?

Hope you guys can leave me any comments or opinion

* - title wasnt suppose to be arrogant... i just want more ppl to notice this thread...
    Your personal statement is all fancy words and no substance. You have **** loads of work experience but you need to explain how you became better as a potential doctor ie "this post helped me to experience firsthand consultation skills that will be vital when I begin my career in medicine" rather than "enabled me to experience a challenging range of different situations" which is far too vague. Your introduction is way too airy fairy, noone cares about quotes and such. Also, they don't want to know about your knowledge of Mother Teresa, you need to go into more detail about the most valuable aspects of your work experience. Finally, you have barely anything on your extra curricular because you spend too much time with irrelevant waffling.

You write well but as I say, there's not enough substance. Cut the quotes and crap and go into detail about the following:

What really made you want to be a doctor? Not helping people or something equally cliche, but do you remember the moment/age/time you realised it was your preferred career path? Was it a combination of your academic skills in science and your interpersonal skills?

How has your work experience prepared you for a career in medicine? Has it provided you with a full and accurate view of different medical positions and what roles doctors have in the UK? Have you developed the necessary skills?

What else do you do with your time? Sport, charity work, music and similar activities are all valuable, they want to know you aren't all about the academics.

Re-apply. Don't waste money and time on biomed if you already have straight A*s. Prepare well for the aptitude tests and get a doctor or med student to go through your PS and you'll get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seniocs)
    sorry.... is it still there? i've deleted the attachment already...???
    it's off:p: good grace here is a tip: NEVER NEVER EVER post your PS on public Domain!
    only post you ps in a thread created by you in the Personal statement help section.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    haha lucky guy or his chances for medicine degree would have been shattered.
    Well I downloaded it (just to be nosey though - I have deleted it!) and a couple more of seem to have read it. I really hope for his sake that's it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sungirl)
    don't loose a year, apply to UCL or at another uni.
    If someone isn't willing to 'lose' a year to pursue something that they're supposedly passionate about, then they shouldn't be pursuing it in the first place; especially if it's medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you got rejected UCL is good, unless I had a reason not to, I'd probably go there and apply for grad medicine somewhere else if I could.
    Will UCL also give you a deferred entry, ie. accept you now for 2011? Some universities will do that if you say you want to take a gap year. I have no idea how a gap year would change your perspective on education, but if you have your heart set on Cambridge, do a gap year and reapply next year with your acceptance to UCL as a fallback. You'll have lost a year, but if the risk is worth it to you... I'd only do it if you get deferred entry at UCL though, otherwise it's risking a lot.

ReputationRep:
    No wonder you received 4 rejections, that PS is just woeful. Medicine is not all about the number of A*'s you can get at GCSE's/A Levels, a good set of GCSE's and A-Levels would do the job. Med schools are looking if you have qualities of making a good doctor ? How desperate are you for Medicine ? Unless you don't show them that you are a good enough candidate, I don't see why they should choose you, no matter even if you have 10 A*'s at A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    Re-apply. Don't waste money and time on biomed if you already have straight A*s. Prepare well for the aptitude tests and get a doctor or med student to go through your PS and you'll get in.
    This, and use the PS helper service on this website. It's free and confidential and they will tell you when you are making a prick of yourself

ReputationRep:
    Hey, pretty much the same for me: Cambridge, Imperial, Edinbrugh and Glasgow. F***ed up the BMAT pretty bad and the UKCAT was about the same lol :P

I guess Im on a different boat from you in that I'm not nearly as passionate about medicine as I should be, so have decided to opt out and go for another course. I dont think it was right for me in the first place anyways. If I do find that passion though, I guess I can work much harder and go for a graduate entry.

Also, I ike how many people have said about the PS in so little time :P

ReputationRep:
    wtf, calm down people he took it off! and anyway i thought you couldnt use your own personal statements for more than one application cycle
    well OP you need to consider the fact that the number of applicants in general for uni has increased a lot, so the gap year option is starting to look like less of an option

ReputationRep:
    I think you chose your Uni's badly. You never really stood a chance at Cambridge or Edinburgh. I'd reapply, and spend a year working in a hospital. Improve your personal statement (which I did not read, but if you mentioned mother teresa, there is room for improvement lol) and choose your Universities wisely. If you'd applied to Durham you'd have been interviewed, for example. I swear half of getting in is applying to the right places.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, with reapplying, do you have to get the grades first, then aiming for your dream university's entry requirement? But sometimes, I think the unis reject you not becos of your grades but other things. Of course, the precondition is that you should get grades first.
    OR you just simply reapplying again due to previous competition or stuff? Sorry I ramble. Please quote me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    haha lucky guy or his chances for medicine degree would have been shattered.
    Seriously why are people freaking out about the PS? His application is done and dusted, they're not going to care, and if anyone else tries to use it as their own it will be them getting done for plagorisim, not him.

Chill out people.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    wtf, calm down people he took it off! and anyway i thought you couldnt use your own personal statements for more than one application cycle
    There's nothing to stop you as you can't plagiarise yourself. The PS would be flagged by UCAS and then manually checked at which point they'd be able to see it was submitted by the same candidate and allowed to go through. Whether you should use the same PS when it has failed to yield any interviews or offers is another question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    Well I downloaded it (just to be nosey though - I have deleted it!) and a couple more of seem to have read it. I really hope for his sake that's it
    Well the PS is not all that anyway, I don't see why someone should copy that unless they're extremely thick, also would just possibly get you rejected immediately and out for that cycle of application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    There's a good reason why you've received four rejections. If you've flunked on the BMAT, you've eliminated Cambridge and Imperial. If you didn't get practically straight A*s at GCSE, and have a fantastic PS, you've eliminated Edinburgh. If you don't have a fantastic PS, you've eliminated Southampton. Being predicted four A*s isn't going to let you 'pass go' and get straight into medical school; mainly because there's been a gross overestimation in the number of people being predicted A*s.
    this. and it's concise, which is also rare on here.

ReputationRep:
    get ur 4 a*s and i'm sure u'll get in next time

just take a gap year

ReputationRep:
    Get some hospital based experience in your gap year and reapply, unless you're madly passionate about Biochem or whatever UCL offered you. Don't EVER post your PS on the main forum - Daveo's PS used to be online somewhere and a ridiculous amount of people applied with a PS that plagiarised his intro (the other popular one was something to do with pyjamas on fire :confused: ).

Post your PS in the PS Help forum on here and no-one but you and the PS Helpers will be able to read it. I swear, any PS I review that contains Mother Theresa goes straight in my mental 'reject' file. Read some of the PS's on the wiki, and think about the structure they've followed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    If someone isn't willing to 'lose' a year to pursue something that they're supposedly passionate about, then they shouldn't be pursuing it in the first place; especially if it's medicine.
    bang on, yet again.

people, pay attention to this.

same logic applies to law at "top" unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCYan)
    Guys, with reapplying, do you have to get the grades first, then aiming for your dream university's entry requirement? But sometimes, I think the unis reject you not becos of your grades but other things. Of course, the precondition is that you should get grades first.
    OR you just simply reapplying again due to previous competition or stuff? Sorry I ramble. Please quote me.
    I'm not quite sure exactly what you are asking. My first time I had the grades but didn't have the ps or the aptitude test results I needed, so I reapplied. Because I already had my grades, I had sooo much time to sort the rest out and get in. If you don't get the grades you need for the uni you want however applying for biomed or something similar might be an idea, because many unis dont like taking an applicant who has done A-level retakes.

Nearly everyone applies before they have their A2 grades, so the unis base their academics on their AS grades and aptitude tests or GCSEs (not always).

If his PS was that bad then I'm sure nobody will be copying it :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.