Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I think you chose your Uni's badly. You never really stood a chance at Cambridge or Edinburgh. I'd reapply, and spend a year working in a hospital. Improve your personal statement (which I did not read, but if you mentioned mother teresa, there is room for improvement lol) and choose your Universities wisely. If you'd applied to Durham you'd have been interviewed, for example. I swear half of getting in is applying to the right places.
    this is slightly off topic but i see u got an interview for durham what were ur ukcat and academia cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I think you chose your Uni's badly. You never really stood a chance at Cambridge or Edinburgh. I'd reapply, and spend a year working in a hospital. Improve your personal statement (which I did not read, but if you mentioned mother teresa, there is room for improvement lol) and choose your Universities wisely. If you'd applied to Durham you'd have been interviewed, for example. I swear half of getting in is applying to the right places.
    Yeah I do have to agree, you cannot be too 'picky' with Medical schools, you may just have to settle with any med school in the country.

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost in the same situation as you with 4 rejections and high predicted grades, I'm just waiting for the last rejection from Imperial. I guess the choice to make is different from everyone and I can only tell you what I will be doing.

I course I applied for is also very hard getting onto, the typpical offer I was told would be AAB, with A*AAA b predictions, I thought it would be fine, but I guess not. I have chose to wait another year and then reapply, mean while I'll get more work experience and do finish my Physcis A level (long story, but I couldn't do Physcis last year due to a time table clash, so I'm doing 4 A2s and AS Physcis this year). I've been wanting to do this since I was 6 years old, I been in the working environment, done pretty much every type of work experience within the field and optainned very good references, and I guess now I feel like those 12 years put into it will clearly over shadow the 1 extra year I'll probably need to take.

The advantage of reapplying I guess is that you have the grades already, and a lot of the other students applying will not have done final exams yet. A problem could be that some universities don't seem to happy about a gap year, I guess this may be because some people get a little too relaxed and fine it hard getting back into the working habbit, to get around this you could stay in school and attend lessons for all of your subjects, this is what I have decided to do, just to be sure since one of the universities said when I emailed them that the typpical offer was AAB, but they'd expect AAA if people planned on taking a gap year first. (This is likely to be different for different courses and different universities though).

Good luck, and really sorry to hear that you didn't get the offers you were hoping for.

ReputationRep:
    Hey , read your story
    well everything happens for a good reason ,
    even though your not happy with the results now , you don't know whats out there for you ......
    but it must be something better then this , you just gotta wait and see ....
    I'm sure you'll be glad with what the future hold for you ....
    don't worry .....
    all the best of luck for the future
    PS
    Take care

ReputationRep:
    Gap year and reapply =)

ReputationRep:
    i'd say go to UCL and do graduate.
    1. because UCL is an amazing uni
    2. graduate entry = 3 + 4 = 7 years so only 1 year more than the cambridge 6 year med course you were going for and would be exactly the same amount of time as taking a gap year and then doing a 6 year med course
    3. you will have a degree if you STILL (very unfortunately) dont get a place unlike if you take a gap year and dont get a place

but of course, thats just my opinion.. :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatmonte)
    this is slightly off topic but i see u got an interview for durham what were ur ukcat and academia cheers
    677.5 UKCAT
    GCSE: A*AAAA
    AS: AAAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    677.5 UKCAT
    GCSE: A*AAAA
    AS: AAAA
    You only have 5 GCSE's ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    You only have 5 GCSE's ?
    yup

ReputationRep:
    Hi , I have always wanted to study Medicine and I applied to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen University. (I have 5 A's at Higher and am currently doing AH Chemistry and AH Biology) I got rejected from Glasgow for my UKCAT score (2470 fair enough:rolleyes: ). I then got rejected from Dundee(i think it was for my interview(I thought it went well )) but they did offer me to do the pre-med year instead. I then got rejected for Edinburgh for no apparent reason (awaiting feedback:rolleyes: ) Aberdeen Uni have still not come back to me...

So saying that Aberdeen is a no, I have 2 choices for next year...
    1. Do pre-medical year at Dundee Uni and start application stage again next year.
    OR
    2. Take a year out, get a full time job and get a years worth of medical work experience, so I would be more secure mentally and financially to go to uni. I would also feel more confident of getting an offer next year.

Please help me!

ReputationRep:
    do pre-med year, it will give you an advantage if you reapply for dundee and will make you stand out from others if you don't

ReputationRep:
    Do you really want to stick to Scotland? My impression that because all Scots applied there some of the schools were far more competitive than in England. If you are going to end up in Aberdeen then why not go south to Leeds or somewhere like that? Premed sucks I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiamF 23)

Please help me!
    i'd do the pre-med year..
    should stand you in really good stead for a place next year, especially at Dundee..
    is it similar to nottinghams premed year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiamF 23)
    Hi , I have always wanted to study Medicine and I applied to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen University. (I have 5 A's at Higher and am currently doing AH Chemistry and AH Biology) I got rejected from Glasgow for my UKCAT score (2470 fair enough:rolleyes: ).
    Are you only doing two subjects in S6? Don't most Medicine applicants do at least three subjects, or three Advanced Highers? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am doing Economics not Medicine, I was wondering whether I could get some advice from you. I got rejected from my fav uni, I asked reason why, they said was the predicted grades which was fair enough and expected. But because my GCSEs grades weren't good, I thought it was because of my gcse grades too. But they didn't say yet just predicted grades. Does it mean, if I do get the grades in the end, and they have spare places left, I will get in. (I emailed the person who's in charge, they said of course you can), I am still bit suspicious with it somehow, because I know who am I up against!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    If someone isn't willing to 'lose' a year to pursue something that they're supposedly passionate about, then they shouldn't be pursuing it in the first place; especially if it's medicine.
    I used to think this. Now I fully understand why someone would not want to put themselves through this process again with the possibility of another 4 rejections. Personally, I think I would take a gap year, but I can completely understand why people make that choice and I don't think it's fair at all to say they should not hve been pursuing it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCYan)
    Hello, I am doing Economics not Medicine, I was wondering whether I could get some advice from you. I got rejected from my fav uni, I asked reason why, they said was the predicted grades which was fair enough and expected. But because my GCSEs grades weren't good, I thought it was because of my gcse grades too. But they didn't say yet just predicted grades. Does it mean, if I do get the grades in the end, and they have spare places left, I will get in. (I emailed the person who's in charge, they said of course you can), I am still bit suspicious with it somehow, because I know who am I up against!
    Well it seems very unlikely that that uni would have places left in adjustment or something similar, if it is a competitive course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    Well it seems very unlikely that that uni would have places left in adjustment or something similar, if it is a competitive course.
    Yeah, but if people didn't achieve the grades unis want, then I have an opportunity, don't I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCYan)
    Yeah, but if people didn't achieve the grades unis want, then I have an opportunity, don't I?
    All unis over-offer to deal with this, some even have a waiting list. So if they didn't over-offer enough and don't have a waiting list you have a shot. It's likely they'd let in people who missed grades before someone who got rejected :/ .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    All unis over-offer to deal with this, some even have a waiting list. So if they didn't over-offer enough and don't have a waiting list you have a shot. It's likely they'd let in people who missed grades before someone who got rejected :/ .
    Yeah, that's rather annoying really, unless the unis are strict with the grades they ask for, if you miss it. you don't get it :/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.