Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't know what to do with my life.

4 rejections pre-interview pretty much lends itself to gap year and reapply, doesn't it? Rather than doing another course and applying through competitive GEM.

ReputationRep:
    Im almost in the same position its like i dont know how to feel or what to do, i am so passionaite about it, but taking a gap year, i just really didnt wanna have to do, any gap year medics on here that got into med school this year? Any advice ? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda disappointed because neither of the unis had given me any real feedback so I don't know what to improve! I seriously thought that my application was allright, at least good enough to get me an interview somewhere. but apparently not... :c

ReputationRep:
    huyes and girls could you give you profile ur results and all?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, well ive been rejected without interview from Cardiff, and Southampton (although soton dont interview), post interview from Peninsula (scored quite high but not quite enough) and still waiting from Bristol but im expecting the worse.

GCSE'S= 3 A*, 6 A, 2 B

Current grades in A levels (havent taken final exams yet)=
    Chemistry: B, Biology: A, Geography: A, (already achieved A in AS Maths and B in AS German)

Was predicted AAA, UKCAT = 640 (not bad but could be better),

And thats it, so not amazing but not bad :P

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on re-applying. Anything on how to improve my application or which universities to apply to would be much appreciated. None of my universities have been very forthcoming on feedback!

This year I applied to Imperial (stupidly :p: was rejected because of my terrible BMAT), Southampton, Nottingham and BSMS. I had three rejections pre-interview from the first three and am on the reserve list for BSMS.

My academics are:

GCSE: 12 A*s 1 A
    AS: 4 As (Spanish, Bio, Chem, Eng lit)
    A2: predicted 3 A*s (Bio, Chem, Eng lit)

UKCAT: 670
    BMAT: :rolleyes: not applying to a BMAT uni next year.

Had 2 weeks work experience on applying, 3 months+ volunteering with my local nursery, prefect, school council, editor of school paper, part time job, playing guitar, singing in school choir, playing in ensembles etc.

So yeah any advice would be much appreciated, am going to put my PS in the advice forum to try and improve it as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belugabeluga)

So yeah any advice would be much appreciated, am going to put my PS in the advice forum to try and improve it as well.
    wow.
    i have no idea why you were rejected..
    you were probably just VERY unlucky..

my teachers at school said notts randomly chuck half their applications because they have so many so thats just chance im sure..
    i also know someone at school who has similar grades to you who has had all 4 rejections also..
    this uni thing is a lottery!!

wish you the best of luck for next year!

ReputationRep:
    Where is this PS advice forum lol>?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainorshine)
    Where is this PS advice forum lol>?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134

ReputationRep:
    Bah, that's 4 rejections for me now as well :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    wow.
    i have no idea why you were rejected..
    you were probably just VERY unlucky..

my teachers at school said notts randomly chuck half their applications because they have so many so thats just chance im sure..
    i also know someone at school who has similar grades to you who has had all 4 rejections also..
    this uni thing is a lottery!!

wish you the best of luck for next year!
    I would hope that they don't 'randomly chuck out half of their applications', presumably they have a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    I would hope that they don't 'randomly chuck out half of their applications', presumably they have a reason.
    hmm.. you'd hope so.. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    hmm.. you'd hope so.. :ninja:
    Do they really not give feedback?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    Bah, that's 4 rejections for me now as well :sad:
    sorry to hear that mate, what are you going to do now, are you on a gap year at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Do they really not give feedback?
    Normally they dont and people who have asked for feedback so far have just received the standard..
    "We had in excess of 2500 applicants this year for x number of places etc. etc. competition high.. meant we had to reject good candidates."

nothing specific and they say they will not give anything more specific.. :\
    they probably have some weird formula going on that includes the questionnaire thing they use :P

ReputationRep:
    Normally they dont and people who have asked for feedback so far have just received the standard..
    "We had in excess of 2500 applicants this year for x number of places etc. etc. competition high.. meant we had to reject good candidates."

nothing specific and they say they will not give anything more specific.. :\
    they probably have some weird formula going on that includes the questionnaire thing they use :P
    That's hardly fair is it? Surely they don't care aboit telling people why they didn't get in. How does 'your GCSE's weren't good enough' cause them serious problems?

ReputationRep:
    That's hardly fair is it? Surely they don't care aboit telling people why they didn't get in. How does 'your GCSE's weren't good enough' cause them serious problems?
    too much time and effort i suppose.. :\
    im just really REALLY glad i got in!!!
    but i have seen people with MUCH better grades, UKCAT, GCSE, work experience etc than me who were rejected.
    maaaad world (but worked for meeee :love: )

ReputationRep:
    too much time and effort i suppose.. :\
    im just really REALLY glad i got in!!!
    but i have seen people with MUCH better grades, UKCAT, GCSE, work experience etc than me who were rejected.
    maaaad world (but worked for meeee :love: )
    Yeah, I guess it all comes down to Ps or interview, they do interview I assume?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_smurf)
    sorry to hear that mate, what are you going to do now, are you on a gap year at the moment?
    Yeah, I'm on a gap year, but it's my first time applying to med. The only thing I can really do now is take up my biomed offer and apply as a graduate. There honestly isn't much else I can do. But I'm trying to think of the bright side to it, I'll mature and gain a lot from doing a degree first, before I get into hardcore medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I guess it all comes down to Ps or interview, they do interview I assume?
    yeeh they interview
    thank goodness!! ♥

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.