Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone, iv just recieved my 4th rejection am planning on having a great gap year and reapplying! would be good to meet some people in the same situation as me! make yourselves known...

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Ive had three rejections, not heard from Bristol but as they only have one more interview date left, im not positive. Plan to take a gap year, i guess it might mature me even if i dont really want to take one, plan to try and get a job in the NHS, do voluntary work, normal work for money andd take a trip abroad to either do med work experiance or community projects, BUT i need someone to go with !!!! All my freinds either got into medicine or is going to uni to study to something else, so feel a bit of a loner now wb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    hey everyone, iv just recieved my 4th rejection am planning on having a great gap year and reapplying! would be good to meet some people in the same situation as me! make yourselves known...
    I am sorry to hear that! Have a great gap year, I'm sure you'll have much better luck next year :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainorshine)
    Hey, Ive had three rejections, not heard from Bristol but as they only have one more interview date left, im not positive. Plan to take a gap year, i guess it might mature me even if i dont really want to take one, plan to try and get a job in the NHS, do voluntary work, normal work for money andd take a trip abroad to either do med work experiance or community projects, BUT i need someone to go with !!!! All my freinds either got into medicine or is going to uni to study to something else, so feel a bit of a loner now wb
    Hey
    I'm in the same position as you, don't worry about having someone to go with though The company I'm going with (Projects Abroad) to Nepal say that there are always a lot of other gappers in the same area or on the same project as you so I'm sure whatever you do you'll make friends there
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Ive had three rejections, not heard from Bristol but as they only have one more interview date left, im not positive. Plan to take a gap year, i guess it might mature me even if i dont really want to take one, plan to try and get a job in the NHS, do voluntary work, normal work for money and take a trip abroad to either do med work experiance or community projects, BUT i need someone to go with !!!! All my freinds either got into medicine or is going to uni to study to something else, so feel a bit of a loner now wb
    Just finally heard from the last of them and I'm in the same situation my worry is that we have to have our PS back on ucas 2010 by october and I dont know how much work experience I can fit in in that time or do we just say were planning it
    also if anyone knows and good companys for ski seasons it might come in handy:yep:
    also not look ing forward to UKCAT Part2 :mad:

PS I heard bristol are extending interviews till april so you might be in luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xconfetti)
    Hey
    I'm in the same position as you, don't worry about having someone to go with though The company I'm going with (Projects Abroad) to Nepal say that there are always a lot of other gappers in the same area or on the same project as you so I'm sure whatever you do you'll make friends there
    Good luck
    Heya,
    did you get feedback from emmanuel telling you it was your BMAT?
    it sucks you didnt even get an interview chance with your IB prediction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    Heya,
    did you get feedback from emmanuel telling you it was your BMAT?
    it sucks you didnt even get an interview chance with your IB prediction
    Hey
    Yeah I did, it was just the BMAT, they said I was fine on everything else >.<
    it's ok though, after my rejection I realised that I wouldn't really have minded about going there anyway (not actually just saying that cause I got rejected, it's true :yep: )

thanks though and honestly, i'm not too sure why they predicted me that, esp in subjects like maths.. I only found out after I'd sent off my UCAS and was like :O :O what?! :P because if I was going to get any offers, I didn't want them to be crazily high just because of my prediction. but that doesn't matter now anyway :P
    well done on your offers btw

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Good luck

Dunno how to quote lol !

But yeh when u goin abraod to Nepal? i might book it soon :P

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Good luck

Dunno how to quote lol !

But yeh when u goin abraod to Nepal? i might book it soon :P

I'm thinking end of March - end of May you? are you wanting to do the same?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh deffo, well i can only fit in the 2 week thing, ill do that in the summer to include on my ps then if i rli enjoyed it i can go again for longer in the previous summer, they have 3 set dates for the 2 week medical thing in nepal with projects abroad, we could book same one :P i know we dont know each other, but im a freindly chap :P and just to have someone else thats english coming with me would be reassuring haha wb

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I've received four rejections for medicine
    I really really want to do medicine and nothing else appeals to me as much as medicine.

I need some advice on what to do next.

My plan, I think, is to take a gap year and re-apply. I did apply for a fifth choice of biomedical sciences and have got an offer for that course to begin this september, but I think I'm gonna email that university and ask them if it's okay if I can start biomedical sciences a year later- and in the gap year apply for medicine- if i get in that will be awesome if not I'll still have biomedical sciences.

What does everyone think? Am I allowed to do the gap year and re-apply for medicine and then turn down my place for biomedical sciences if i get an offer for medicine?

On the gap year itself I was thinking of getting a job and doing more voluntary service and work experience, does this sound right?

Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    If nothing else appeals to you more. Then don't give up on it

First thing is try and get feedback on the Uni's. So you know where you went wrong.

Focus on your exams to make sure you get the required grades, also start to try and plan your gap year now.

And with the Biomed offer...I'm doing the same thing. Accept it and when you get your grades and they're good enough reapply

Edit: The stuff you've listed for a gap year sounds fine. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    If nothing else appeals to you more. Then don't give up on it

First thing is try and get feedback on the Uni's. So you know where you went wrong.

Focus on your exams to make sure you get the required grades, also start to try and plan your gap year now.

And with the Biomed offer...I'm doing the same thing. Accept it and when you get your grades and they're good enough reapply

Edit: The stuff you've listed for a gap year sounds fine. :yes:
    Hey thanks for the reply man
    I've sent my emails asking for feedback.

I emailed the university about defering my biomed offer but they said they wouldn't do it and I'd have to reject their offer and re-apply next year.

I'm not completely sure what to do, but I think I'm gonna reject their offer and re-apply for med. What attracts me to do biomed at Newcastle is that they let some people to transfer to the medicine course after the first year, but I'm not sure how many- it will probably only be a really small handful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theboilermantr15)
    Hey thanks for the reply man
    I've sent my emails asking for feedback.

I emailed the university about defering my biomed offer but they said they wouldn't do it and I'd have to reject their offer and re-apply next year.

I'm not completely sure what to do, but I think I'm gonna reject their offer and re-apply for med. What attracts me to do biomed at Newcastle is that they let some people to transfer to the medicine course after the first year, but I'm not sure how many- it will probably only be a really small handful.
    Defo go gap year and reapply. To transfer from biomed from newcastle to medicine is extremly competetive, like top 4/5%. Plus doing biomed is boring as everyone who doesnt get into medicine does that, then applying as a post grad is actually more competitive then applying as a undergrad (which you are now)
    Also even if you dont get the grades you can still get in on AAB, like me (B in chemo) Gap years a great way to show the uni youve matured, stuck with medicine, experienced working life, and more experience, perfect cantitate :P

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=75408 0574#!/group.php?gid=109775305715744&re f=ts

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, anyone know much about the medical work experiance companies like Gap medics and projects abroad? Need a bit of feedback on which one to go for, where to go and for how long :P Would really help, wb

ReputationRep:
    Hey I've been rejected from all four of my medical uni's now. Cambridge, Notttingham, liverpool and leicester. and was wondering if it is worth me reapplying next year, I still really want to do medicine but don't want to waste another year of my life on an off chance..

My academics are:
    GCSE: 6A* 2A 4B
    AS: AAAAABD
    Predicted A2: A*A*AA
    UKCAT: (average) 742.5, (610,880,750,730)
    BMAT: 5.2 6.9 7.5

Other stuff:
    Nuffield science, Gold CREST award
    8 months volunteering on a hospital ward

any ideas?? anyone else in the same position??

ReputationRep:
    Your personal statement was probaly pants. Basically. Sorry to be harsh, but the rest of your academic profile looks fine, grades wise. So I, as a lowly applicant of this cycle, am deducing that your personal statement was a bit on the bad side.

It's easier to improve your personal statement/learn to interview (Noticed your post-interview leicester rejection) with time than it is to improve your grades, and still be viable, with a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds as if it is partly bad luck. You have good grades, maybe your personal statement wasn't so great, or maybe you just applied to places that weren't the best match. I know it isn't what you want to hear, but what would you do if not medicine? If you were to do a gap year and do something that would be relevant to both medicine and your other 'second' choice, then you wouldn't be wasting it?

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it's a nursing degree for you.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 6, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.