Turn on thread page Beta

Bank letter confusing me. watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok as of last Friday I was 95.64 in credit, I spent about 40 on food and take ways over the week leaving me with about 55, I spent £16 on some presents for my mums birthday leaving me £39

Just got a letter dated 2 days ago saying I am overdrawn and will get charged £5 a day!

So how can I be overdrawn if I am £39 in credit.

UNLESS they count my standing order in a strange way as its set to leave my account each Friday and doesnt clear till the Wednesday which is the date of the letter and is £46 so would make me £6 overdrawn.

However this doesnt explain the fact I had £58 paid in yesterday and couldnt spend any of it since yesterday bought a take away for 7.50 and it went through but when I tried paying for a bill it refused as it also did on other sites.

So unless its going back to the £45 standing order again which means that If I spent £7.50 I would be left with about £6 but then they might of charged me £5 lots already.

Any ideas whats going on?

ReputationRep:
    You're going to have to make it a lot clearer I'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    If you want, best I can do is

Had 95.64 last Friday, £45 direct debit was due but wasnt removed from my account till Tuesday,

I spent £40 on food and take aways and bills, and £16 on birthday present.

Looking at it that way i would be about £5 overdrawn so I start understanding the charge.

I think its just the banks system confusing me since the standing order comes out 5 days after I paid it.

ReputationRep:
    Phone the bank...?

Have you checked your online banking to make sure you're not actually overdrawn?

ReputationRep:
    What bank are you with?
    The standing order can't go out after you've paid it...generally they go out three days before they are due, so they can clear into the bank.
    IE, I bank with HSBC. My rent is due on the 5th of every month, so I have a standing order dated the 5th, that is taken on the 2nd, to give it enough time to clear before the 5th.

Log into your online banking if you have it, and see if it's been taken, or even just 'earmarked' to be taken so you can't spend it. If you haven't pay a fiver in just to be safe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Controversial)
    What bank are you with?
    The standing order can't go out after you've paid it...generally they go out three days before they are due, so they can clear into the bank.
    IE, I bank with HSBC. My rent is due on the 5th of every month, so I have a standing order dated the 5th, that is taken on the 2nd, to give it enough time to clear before the 5th.

Log into your online banking if you have it, and see if it's been taken, or even just 'earmarked' to be taken so you can't spend it. If you haven't pay a fiver in just to be safe...
    Hmm that makes more sense but confuses me more as the payments always seem to go out on a Tuesday which would mean that with the £58 I got yesterday makes me in credit as I was going by the fact that its due on a Friday so must be taken on a friday but that makes sense of last week i.e that would mean I was about a £5 overdrawn on Tuesday which makes sense they sent me a letter on Wednesday but on Thursday with the £58 I would be £53 in credit

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.