Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering how easy it is to use and how long the colour would last on natural brown/dark brown hair...

I was thinking of a red/plum colour.
    Cheerzzzz

ReputationRep:
    I have used the Blue hair dye by them a few times. It is easy to use in that the one I used came in a pot, so just put on a pair of gloves and grabbed a dying brush (it helps that my mother is a hairdresser so has these things about!) The blue lasted fairly well, a month - 6 weeks tops but it was put on top of another shade of blue so it is hard to judge exactly.

The reds may last a bit longer, my experience of having blue hair was that the colour needed to be re applied very frequently or it would look very washed out - but this is probably not the case with red.

Overall I would say that Manic Panic is pretty good, but quite pricey? My personal favourite for semi-permanent bright coloured hair dyes is 'stargazer' - their dyes smell great and they do a good selection of colours (and certainly used to be cheaper than MP).

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    If bleached reds -->orangey after about 3-4 weeks will stay a flamey colour for awhile after that
    Purples --> silvery grey after a couple of days
    Pinks don't last very well either
    Blue>green and lasted maybe 2 weeks but repapplying is needed
    Stargazer is awful from my experience and a lot harder to apply than manic panic.
    it goes kind of bitty and you can actually pick the chunks out of the hair

But over a natural colour they really won't show any real colour.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't tried Manic Panic, but I can strongly recommend La Riche Directions hair colour! It's semi-perm, basically the same as MP, but I've found that the reds last for a really impressive amount of the time, and the colour is really vibrant. I used a red over bleached hair about a year ago, and it was rly bright but faded quickly because of my hair being porous. Went back to red a few months ago and used it over a normal brown hair colour, and the results were still an amazing colour. :yes: You can get them off eBay, about a fiver for 2 pots.

ReputationRep:
    Don't use it - waste of money. Special Effects (beeunique.co.uk) and Directions are far superior dyes.

ReputationRep:
    Manic Panic is the absolute BEST! It gives great color AND shine. The other brands don't give you the same conditioning and shine that Manic Panic does, and they also have a warning on their labels that you shouldn't get them in your eyes because they could cause blindness!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.