Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Because some people can quite happily drink half a pint and not be any different.

If you can't then good on you for not driving, doesn't mean everyone is like that.
    I can drink and 'not be any different' - I just don't see the point in taking the risk. Your body may react differently to alcohol than it has before, you can't predict everything..

ReputationRep:
    Not if your under the limit and not a lightweight.
    We'll never agree on this...

Alcohol impairs reaction times even when under the legal limit (I remember a program on tv a while back that highlighted this...it was frightening to watch).

(Original post by blinkbelle)
    I can drink and 'not be any different' - I just don't see the point in taking the risk. Your body may react differently to alcohol than it has before, you can't predict everything..
    I might eat chocolate and be violently sick in my car making me lose control because it has a different effect.

Providing you have eaten I have never known anyone's limit change like you claim it can.

(Original post by The Referee)

Alcohol impairs reaction times even when under the legal limit (I remember a program on tv a while back that highlighted this...it was frightening to watch).
    If 70 year olds have the reactions to drive.

A young person with half a pint in them is fine.

The government set the limit in a specified place for a reason, they haven't picked it blindfolded.

ReputationRep:

The government set the limit in a specified place for a reason, they haven't picked it blindfolded.
    Completely agree with you in this thread mate. Doubt you're going to change peoples minds though to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)

Yeh I remember watching that, there have been loads of programs on it. Which is why, personally I just don't drink and drive, not even half a pint. Why risk it, I just cannot afford for my reactions to be any less than they already are, I mean it is already late and you are tired which means that you have the reactions of being drunk anyway! Plus drink just makes things worse!

ReputationRep:

Do they? Some do, some don't. It is just our inept government doesn't retest.

That is not a reason to justify different peoples reactions to drink. Everyone is different, every young person is different, everybodies reactions are different. That is the problem with the current limit, it is generic and because of that, can give a false sense of security.

ReputationRep:
    I might eat chocolate and be violently sick in my car making me lose control because it has a different effect.

Providing you have eaten I have never known anyone's limit change like you claim it can.
    IMO alcohol is a drug that can impair your reactions, under the limit or over. I don't want to take that risk.

IMO alcohol is a drug that can impair your reactions, under the limit or over. I don't want to take that risk.
    Then fair enough, thats your choice, but that shouldn't mean everyone else shouldn't be able too if they wish without being labeled a killer.

ReputationRep:
    Then fair enough, thats your choice, but that shouldn't mean everyone else shouldn't be able too if they wish without being labeled a killer.
    I never labelled anyone a killer :confused: or told anyone else what to do...

(Original post by gbduo)

That is not a reason to justify different peoples reactions to drink. Everyone is different, every young person is different, everybodies reactions are different. That is the problem with the current limit, it is generic and because of that, can give a false sense of security.
    Yes thats why you should take the decision based on how you know yourself. Thats why I don't drink but my dad will have 2 pints over an evening, and has done so since he was a lad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killerjane)
    I'm an 18 year old female who weighs 8-8.5 stones (51ish +kg).
    Some mates are coming up to the pub where I work later tonight and one or two may require a lift home. I don't plan on getting ****faced but was wondering how much I can legally drink? I was only thinking a half of lager anyway...
    I'm just curious bearing in mind I'm quite skinny, and the possible effect on how much I can drink!

Taaaar.
    (And sorry if this is in the wrong place )
    Then what is the point of drinking at all?

I never labelled anyone a killer :confused: or told anyone else what to do...
    That was a generic reply to everyone, not just aimed at you.

Should have worded it better.

(Original post by Skarbo)
    Then what is the point of drinking at all?
    To live?

ReputationRep:
    Yes thats why you should take the decision based on how you know yourself. Thats why I don't drink but my dad will have 2 pints over an evening, and has done so since he was a lad.
    Yes, that is the flip side. And the current system.

On the other hand, can you really tell when your reactions are impaired? Especially when tired in the first place? But lets take this to the other thread...

(Original post by gbduo)
    Yes, that is the flip side. And the current system.

On the other hand, can you really tell when your reactions are impaired? Especially when tired in the first place? But lets take this to the other thread...
    There is another thread for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)

Exactly. Personally I'd favour a zero-limit, because saying one drink is ok doesn't send out the right message. This is why if I have a drink when I have the car I make sure it's one, at the beginning of the night, so I have plenty of time to run it out of my system. Saying that everyone will be ok after one is idiotic though, and I think the law should change to reflect this.

ReputationRep:
    There is another thread for this?
    Yarp, just made it and it has a poll!

I am interested to see young people's opinions on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Yeh I remember watching that, there have been loads of programs on it. Which is why, personally I just don't drink and drive, not even half a pint. Why risk it, I just cannot afford for my reactions to be any less than they already are, I mean it is already late and you are tired which means that you have the reactions of being drunk anyway! Plus drink just makes things worse!
    I agree completely! I drive a very big, very powerful car...there's a large chunk of responsibility that comes with that and alcohol isn't consistent with that.

(Original post by Carl)
    Exactly. Personally I'd favour a zero-limit, because saying one drink is ok doesn't send out the right message. This is why if I have a drink when I have the car I make sure it's one, at the beginning of the night, so I have plenty of time to run it out of my system. Saying that everyone will be ok after one is idiotic though, and I think the law should change to reflect this.
    Why ban something because of a few?

Humans should have common sense, when you have drunk a few times you know how many units it takes to get X drunk for you.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.