Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Why ban something because of a few?

Humans should have common sense, when you have drunk a few times you know how many units it takes to get X drunk for you.
    Well yes, you would hope so!

But something you quickly realise as you get more into the world of work is that common sense is not that common and most people make no sense anyway!

(Original post by gbduo)
    Well yes, you would hope so!

But something you quickly realise as you get more into the world of work is that common sense is not that common and most people make no sense anyway!
    Why not a system where you are measured for your reactions rather than ml per whatever of blood then?

ReputationRep:
    Why not a system where you are measured for your reactions rather than ml per whatever of blood then?
    Yeh, but making a judgment on how good your reactions are is even harder than judging how much alcohol is in your blood!

(Original post by gbduo)
    Yeh, but making a judgment on how good your reactions are is even harder than judging how much alcohol is in your blood!
    Do they not already use certain tests like the walking in a line and the alphabet backwards?

ReputationRep:
    Do they not already use certain tests like the walking in a line and the alphabet backwards?
    Yes, but that is only used to see the level of drunkeness as it were, they presecute on alcohol level in your blood.

ReputationRep:
    Just drink J20

(Original post by gbduo)
    Yes, but that is only used to see the level of drunkeness as it were, they presecute on alcohol level in your blood.
    Then it should be changed, drunk or not if you cant walk in a straight line you should not be driving, unless you have a medical condition.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it. I never drive if I have consumed alcohol at all in the previous few hours (if i have a pint at lunch time I wouldn't drive until the evening). This is not because I think I would be over the limit but because I don't want to get on the slippery slope.

The chances of getting caught are slim but the consequences if you are caught are very severe. A conviction for DUI will ruin your life if you have ambitions to have a professional career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moley89)
    The name killerjane suits you, imo!
    Por que? If you're referring to the fact that I bllllatttterzzz going to kill someone because I have driven 2 miles after having half a lager then clap clap clap. Clever response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skarbo)
    Then what is the point of drinking at all?
    Because I like a social drink and really don't think it would be appropriate to get hammered in front of my boss/colleagues. Silly me :indiff:

(Original post by DeeDub)
    Don't do it. I never drive if I have consumed alcohol at all in the previous few hours (if i have a pint at lunch time I wouldn't drive until the evening). This is not because I think I would be over the limit but because I don't want to get on the slippery slope.

The chances of getting caught are slim but the consequences if you are caught are very severe. A conviction for DUI will ruin your life if you have ambitions to have a professional career.
    Having half a pint will not get you caught, because your under the limit.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question, but...
    Don't pubs sell alcohol free beer/lager?

(Original post by R. Murray)
    Stupid question, but...
    Don't pubs sell alcohol free beer/lager?
    I have never seen that.

And probably tastes ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killerjane)
    Por que? If you're referring to the fact that I bllllatttterzzz going to kill someone because I have driven 2 miles after having half a lager then clap clap clap. Clever response.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I have never seen that.

And probably tastes ****.
    I drink alcohol free lager, it tastes fine and I can drive in the knowledge that I can't possibly be done for drink driving. Rather than if I'd had alcoholic drinks being made to think "maybe I am over the limit, maybe I'm not".

Not to mention, that if I get convicted of drink driving, I'll no longer be able to afford to drive, nor will I be able to continue studying my course at uni.

It's not worth it, on a purely selfish level.

I drink alcohol free lager, it tastes fine and I can drive in the knowledge that I can't possibly be done for drink driving. Rather than if I'd had alcoholic drinks being made to think "maybe I am over the limit, maybe I'm not".

Not to mention, that if I get convicted of drink driving, I'll no longer be able to afford to drive, nor will I be able to continue studying my course at uni.

It's not worth it, on a purely selfish level.
    I have never seen it in spoons or anywhere.

And no, don't go over the limit then? You can have 2 pints over 4 hours and be in the limit.

ReputationRep:
    I have never seen it in spoons or anywhere.

And no, don't go over the limit then? You can have 2 pints over 4 hours and be in the limit.
    I don't think you understand how serious a drink driving conviction can be to me. Even a police caution would prevent me from continuing to study.

I'd rather not risk it and I don't think I'm missing out.

If I were the OP, I'd probably not bother with the car and get a taxi.

I don't think you understand how serious a drink driving conviction can be to me. Even a police caution would prevent me from continuing to study.

I'd rather not risk it and I don't think I'm missing out.

If I were the OP, I'd probably not bother with the car and get a taxi.
    Risk what?

You can't be over the limit if you don't drink enough to be over the limit.

If you stick a knife in someone your in trouble.

If you drink over the limit your trouble.

If you do neither your fine.

ReputationRep:
    there really is no point is drinking if u no ur gonna drive ... just cos ur under the limit doesn't mean u should do it ...

u dont not kill people cos u might get caught, u do it cos it is morally wrong...

EDIT: why is everyone chatting about 'the limit' ? the real issue is the reason a limit is there, and bearing in mind the uk limit is high compared to most countries...

ReputationRep:
    Risk what?

You can't be over the limit if you don't drink enough to be over the limit.

If you stick a knife in someone your in trouble.

If you drink over the limit your trouble.

If you do neither your fine.
    But I don't know how much is too much. So none is the safest amount to drink. A taxi is cheaper than a fine, 1 year ban using public transport or getting lifts from someone else, criminal record, retest under new drivers act, sky high insurance. Wouldn't you agree?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.