Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by lee_91)
    there really is no point is drinking if u no ur gonna drive ... just cos ur under the limit doesn't mean u should do it ...

u dont not kill people cos u might get caught, u do it cos it is morally wrong...
    Morally wrong?

This isn't about morals... having a drink and driving providing your not a total lightweight has naff all to do with morals.

(Original post by R. Murray)
    But I don't know how much is too much. So none is the safest amount to drink. A taxi is cheaper than a fine, 1 year ban using public transport or getting lifts from someone else, criminal record, retest under new drivers act, sky high insurance. Wouldn't you agree?
    2 pints of 4.5% beer over a night will be under the limit.

There you go, enjoy, you can't be fined for being under the limit so no I don't agree.

Providing your not anorexic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    2 pints of 4.5% beer over a night will be under the limit.

There you go, enjoy, you can't be fined for being under the limit so no I don't agree.
    But the limit means different amounts of beer for different people. I'm probably a lightweight, can't say for sure but have only had a handful of alcoholic drinks in my life, haven't been drunk. So there isn't any certainty to that.

I'm of the opinion that the only way to be completely safe is to have non alcoholic drinks if you're driving. There are just to many variables that affect your blood alcohol levels.

But the limit means different amounts of beer for different people. I'm probably a lightweight, can't say for sure but have only had a handful of alcoholic drinks in my life, haven't been drunk. So there isn't any certainty to that.

I'm of the opinion that the only way to be completely safe is to have non alcoholic drinks if you're driving. There are just to many variables that affect your blood alcohol levels.
    Its nothing to do with you being a lightweight its per ml of blood.

There is plenty of certainty to do it over 4 hours, your body sorts out 4 units of the 4.6.

ReputationRep:
    Morally wrong?

This isn't about morals... having a drink and driving providing your not a total lightweight has naff all to do with morals.

i was pointing out u dont break most rules because u dont want to rather than because of the prosecution that follows being caught...

i see where u come from by saying only have a half but why do that when u could easily just have a coke ect...i would respect someone more for being responsible and missing out on drinking so they can drive than i would for having a half then drinking pop anyhow...

lets face it a half wont last all evening so its pop or more alcohol anyway

(Original post by lee_91)
    i was pointing out u dont break most rules because u dont want to rather than because of the prosecution that follows being caught...

i see where u come from by saying only have a half but why do that when u could easily just have a coke ect...i would respect someone more for being responsible and missing out on drinking so they can drive than i would for having a half then drinking pop anyhow...

lets face it a half wont last all evening so its pop or more alcohol anyway
    Your not breaking any rules having a pint?

Its up to the person? If they want to do something legal and drive and feel they can, who are you to tell them what to do? If you have a problem don't take the lift and walk.

Yeah you can drink 2 pints over an evening and be under.

ReputationRep:
    Your not breaking any rules having a pint?

Its up to the person? If they want to do something legal and drive and feel they can, who are you to tell them what to do? If you have a problem don't take the lift and walk.

Yeah you can drink 2 pints over an evening and be under.
    But if you've had nothing to eat and can't handle your drink, 2 pints might put you over. There was a programme on and people were asked "how many pints can you have and legally drive" most of them got it wrong when they then put it to the test.

I'm pulling out of the discussion since I'm not going to be convinced nor will I convince anyone else.

But if you've had nothing to eat and can't handle your drink, 2 pints might put you over. There was a programme on and people were asked "how many pints can you have and legally drive" most of them got it wrong when they then put it to the test.

I'm pulling out of the discussion since I'm not going to be convinced nor will I convince anyone else.
    No no, food doesn't effect the amount of blood in you, but allows it to digest faster, providing you do it over the evening it still would be under. If you feel you are light headed you shouldn't drive, this is what i'm saying, its common sense and something that people should be able to think for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    No no, food doesn't effect the amount of blood in you, but allows it to digest faster, providing you do it over the evening it still would be under. If you feel you are light headed you shouldn't drive, this is what i'm saying, its common sense and something that people should be able to think for themselves.
    But food does affect the rate that your body can break down the alcohol...

(Original post by chriscpritchard)
    But food does affect the rate that your body can break down the alcohol...
    What?

ReputationRep:
    What?
    well, not exactly, but it slows the time for the alcohol to move from the gut to your blood, meaning that the BAC is lower, because, while the alcohol in the blood is being broken down the alcohol moves from the gut to the blood at a slower rate than it would when the food had not been consumed!

well, not exactly, but it slows the time for the alcohol to move from the gut to your blood, meaning that the BAC is lower, because, while the alcohol in the blood is being broken down the alcohol moves from the gut to the blood at a slower rate than it would when the food had not been consumed!
    Erm with no food it goes to the blood quicker meaning it gets to the liver quicker to be broken down.

ReputationRep:
    Erm with no food it goes to the blood quicker meaning it gets to the liver quicker to be broken down.
    Yes, it gets to the liver quicker, BUT the liver can only break down so much at a time. So by absorbing it slower, as long as the liver is working at max capacity, the BAC is lower and the effect alcohol has on you will be lower.

Yes, it gets to the liver quicker, BUT the liver can only break down so much at a time. So by absorbing it slower, as long as the liver is working at max capacity, the BAC is lower and the effect alcohol has on you will be lower.
    But it still takes just as long to get out your system...

ReputationRep:
    Please don't be an idiot.

(Original post by lella_m)
    Please don't be an idiot.
    Drink half is not being a idiot if you know where your limit is?

ReputationRep:
    just drink wkd or smthing like that

ReputationRep:
    Right, generally you can drink about 1.5 pints of lager and be fine.

An average pint contains about 2 units, your body breaks down 1 unit per hour. So, if your out for a good few hours then I wouldnt worry about drinking a bit at the start of the night.

Drinking and driving isnt clever or funny, but hey, it happens.

ReputationRep:
    But it still takes just as long to get out your system...
    But the effect is less, and the BAC is lower, meaning you can actually drink more. So in effect, it does mean that you can drink the same amount and be fine to drive quicker

ReputationRep:
    I might eat chocolate and be violently sick in my car making me lose control because it has a different effect.

Providing you have eaten I have never known anyone's limit change like you claim it can.
    Stop trying to defend you horrifically out of control alcoholic father.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.