Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    Stop trying to defend you horrifically out of control alcoholic father.
    Stop being a moron on the internet bro?

My dad drinks about twice a month.. and thats two pints, most students on this forum go get lashed more than once a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Stop being a moron on the internet bro?

My dad drinks about twice a month.. and thats two pints, most students on this forum go get lashed more than once a week.
    The first step is admitting it.

The first step is admitting it.
    Not going to get into a convo with such a troll.

ReputationRep:
    Not going to get into a convo with such a troll.
    Well if you dad just has to have those precious 2 pints then he does have a problem.
    Can he not just not have them if he is driving?

Well if you dad just has to have those precious 2 pints then he does have a problem.
    Can he not just not have them if he is driving?
    Lmfao, he doesn't have too not.. its perfectly within the law...

ReputationRep:
    It's within the law to be an alcoholic. I am not saying it's not.

It's within the law to be an alcoholic. I am not saying it's not.
    Troll.

ReputationRep:
    It may be within the law, but as even a tiny amount of alcohol affects reaction times, it could be (and I agree) considered immoral as it is unnecasarilly putting people at risk if he drives!

(Original post by chriscpritchard)
    It may be within the law, but as even a tiny amount of alcohol affects reaction times, it could be (and I agree) considered immoral as it is unnecasarilly putting people at risk if he drives!
    Yeah he's driven for 30 years and hasnt crashed.

And you get some ****** boy racer who thinks he is schumacher who goes and kills someone.

So you know.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he's driven for 30 years and hasnt crashed.

And you get some ****** boy racer who thinks he is schumacher who goes and kills someone.

So you know.
    That may be the case, but regardless of what other people do, he is still needlessly increasing the risk of HIM causing an accident and it should be illegal. Also, it's comparing apples and oranges, 1 is comparing experienced vs inexperienced drivers (he's been driving for longer, so less likely to have an accident) whereas the other thing is drunk alcohol vs not drunk alcohol (it increases the chances of crashing for both the experienced and inexperienced driver)

That may be the case, but regardless of what other people do, he is still needlessly increasing the risk of HIM causing an accident and it should be illegal. Also, it's comparing apples and oranges, 1 is comparing experienced vs inexperienced drivers (he's been driving for longer, so less likely to have an accident) whereas the other thing is drunk alcohol vs not drunk alcohol (it increases the chances of crashing for both the experienced and inexperienced driver)
    Well not really, as you get older you handle alcohol better and have better road experience.

He used to be a very heavy drinker when he was young and has matured to take alcohol very well.

I wouldn't do it because I know it would have an effect on me, but he is indifferent after 2 pints.

ReputationRep:
    Well not really, as you get older you handle alcohol better and have better road experience.

He used to be a very heavy drinker when he was young and has matured to take alcohol very well.

I wouldn't do it because I know it would have an effect on me, but he is indifferent after 2 pints.
    It still has an effect on them though, however slight. Also, things like that are very subjective and it's much better and safer to just say: no alcohol, or BAC of up to xxμg/mL just for the sheer reason that people will overestimate how much they can drink before being dangerous. IMO a low-ish limit (none would be ideal, but there's the problem of a possible background amount of BAC), with advertisments promoting no drinking at all

It still has an effect on them though, however slight. Also, things like that are very subjective and it's much better and safer to just say: no alcohol, or BAC of up to xxμg/mL just for the sheer reason that people will overestimate how much they can drink before being dangerous. IMO a low-ish limit (none would be ideal, but there's the problem of a possible background amount of BAC), with advertisments promoting no drinking at all
    So in your opinion

listening to the radio
    talking to passengers

are immoral?

they can both affect distraction times, shall we ban both then?

ReputationRep:
    So in your opinion

listening to the radio
    talking to passengers

are immoral?

they can both affect distraction times, shall we ban both then?
    You can't stop being drunk, you can stop listening to the radio while you deal with a hazard, you can stop talking to your passengers while you deal with a hazard.

You can't sober up to deal with a hazard.

(Original post by R. Murray)
    You can't stop being drunk, you can stop listening to the radio while you deal with a hazard, you can stop talking to your passengers while you deal with a hazard.

You can't sober up to deal with a hazard.
    So someone pulls infront of you, you have chance to turn the radio off before emergency braking?

I don't think so.

Useless argument.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is responsible for their own actions.

ReputationRep:
    So someone pulls infront of you, you have chance to turn the radio off before emergency braking?

I don't think so.

Useless argument.
    True, BUT, you can turn it off before negotiating a complex junction/changing lanes/using a sliproad, meaning that you can concentrate on the activity that is more risky than just normal driving.

True, BUT, you can turn it off before negotiating a complex junction/changing lanes/using a sliproad, meaning that you can concentrate on the activity that is more risky than just normal driving.
    Still, slower reaction times.. according to you then they should all be banned technically.

ReputationRep:
    Still, slower reaction times.. according to you then they should all be banned technically.
    They lower reaction times but can be turned off, being drunk can't

They lower reaction times but can be turned off, being drunk can't
    Yeah, when a little kid walks out infront of you.. you have time to turn the radio off..

Erm no.

Don't make excuses, if you want one banned you have to ban them all.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.