Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Yeah, when a little kid walks out infront of you.. you have time to turn the radio off..

Erm no.

Don't make excuses, if you want one banned you have to ban them all.
    If you're changing the radio station or singing along, or otherwise being silly, then you should get in trouble for dangerous driving. With alcohol though, it's slightly different as:

a) can't be turned off for manouvres or things that require concentration (and that is a valid point, people can and do turn off radios and ask people to stop talking when performing complicated things)

b) gives you an increased sense of confidence and lowers inhibitions that the other things don't give you, meaning you are
    i) likely to go too fast
    ii) misjudge your limit, so you'll think you're fine when you're not
    iii) make you more likely to do something stupid, overtake when you shouldn't etc

c) different people have different limits, BUT, due to the increased sense of confidence above, people may ignore them, so a low BAC limit is much better than a high one. This is different in the other situations, because, for examplem someone who knows they have problems with the radio won't use it :rolleyes:

Due to b)i) above, while driving after alcohol your stopping distance will be increased as reaction + stopping time will be increased, rather than just reaction with the others

ReputationRep:
    For those that have driven a car whilst being over the limit, how would you feel if an airline pilot had drunk alcohol on your flight?

(Original post by chriscpritchard)
    If you're changing the radio station or singing along, or otherwise being silly, then you should get in trouble for dangerous driving. With alcohol though, it's slightly different as:

a) can't be turned off for manouvres or things that require concentration (and that is a valid point, people can and do turn off radios and ask people to stop talking when performing complicated things)

b) gives you an increased sense of confidence and lowers inhibitions that the other things don't give you, meaning you are
    i) likely to go too fast
    ii) misjudge your limit, so you'll think you're fine when you're not
    iii) make you more likely to do something stupid, overtake when you shouldn't etc

c) different people have different limits, BUT, due to the increased sense of confidence above, people may ignore them, so a low BAC limit is much better than a high one. This is different in the other situations, because, for examplem someone who knows they have problems with the radio won't use it :rolleyes:

Due to b)i) above, while driving after alcohol your stopping distance will be increased as reaction + stopping time will be increased, rather than just reaction with the others
    Well then have that for alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    Well then have that for alcohol.
    Way to miss the point...

(Original post by Me, that bit that you convineintly forgot to highlight or read)
    [Alcohol] gives you an increased sense of confidence and lowers inhibitions
    Meaning... you're more likely to drive after having alcohol, even if you know it negatively affects your driving!

Way to miss the point...

Meaning... you're more likely to drive after having alcohol, even if you know it negatively affects your driving!
    Yeah if you drive over the limit then fair enough.

If not then theirs no issue.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if you drive over the limit then fair enough.

If not then theirs no issue.
    Legally yes, but the point at which alcohol affects some people is different and the people who it effects most are the most likely to be legally under the limit but cause a high risk!

Legally yes, but the point at which alcohol affects some people is different and the people who it effects most are the most likely to be legally under the limit but cause a high risk!
    Yes, so for those who can take it, its not immoral.

If I did it would be, and thats why I don't.

Too much regulation in this country, common sense needs to be encouraged more.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, so for those who can take it, its not immoral.

If I did it would be, and thats why I don't.

Too much regulation in this country, common sense needs to be encouraged more.
    Unfortunately, as I said, the people who can't take it are more likely to do it due to the inhibition lowering qualities of alcohol, regulation in this case is a good thing!

Unfortunately, as I said, the people who can't take it are more likely to do it due to the inhibition lowering qualities of alcohol, regulation in this case is a good thing!
    Erm if your that far gone after 2 pints.. their are very very few people who are smashed.

And so you can't wreck everything because of a few.

ReputationRep:
    So someone pulls infront of you, you have chance to turn the radio off before emergency braking?

I don't think so.

Useless argument.
    I don't think not listening to the radio in an emergency means that you switch it off. It means that you don't pay attention to it.

(Original post by R. Murray)
    I don't think not listening to the radio in an emergency means that you switch it off. It means that you don't pay attention to it.
    If your singing along to the radio and someone goes out infront of you, by the time you click that oh **** I need to brake.. is the same time or longer I bet that it takes someone after 2 pints to begin to brake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    I agree completely! I drive a very big, very powerful car...there's a large chunk of responsibility that comes with that and alcohol isn't consistent with that.
    what car do you drivee:confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDS)
    what car do you drivee:confused: :confused:
    Audi - 3 litre engine and handles like a dream

ReputationRep:
    Erm if your that far gone after 2 pints.. their are very very few people who are smashed.

And so you can't wreck everything because of a few.
    But, their inhibitions are lowered... so, they'll think "another one can't hurt" and then drink more before they drive!

But, their inhibitions are lowered... so, they'll think "another one can't hurt" and then drink more before they drive!
    Since when?

ReputationRep:
    Since when?
    since their inhibitions are lowered, that's kind of what it means...

since their inhibitions are lowered, that's kind of what it means...
    I have never ever seen anyone who is driving who has had a pint or two do that...

Their is the occasional moron who speeds and crashes into a tree.

So because of the occasional moron we better ban driving?

No...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.