Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place but im not sure if i should put it in here or Chemistry.

Anyways. We did an experiment where we had to find out the % of haemolysis of red blood cells when mixed in various solutions and now we have to write a report on it, but im stuck on something.

When we mixed the sodium sodium nitrate solution with the blood it didn't cause haemolysis but it did turn the solution brown. I have searched everywhere to find out why this happened. All we have been told is that it reacts with the metals in haemoglobin.

Does anyone know why the solution turned brown? also if there is a website or book i can use that has this information i would be really grateful if you shared it with me.

Thanks in advance!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Maxien78)
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place but im not sure if i should put it in here or Chemistry.

Anyways. We did an experiment where we had to find out the % of haemolysis of red blood cells when mixed in various solutions and now we have to write a report on it, but im stuck on something.

When we mixed the sodium sodium nitrate solution with the blood it didn't cause haemolysis but it did turn the solution brown. I have searched everywhere to find out why this happened. All we have been told is that it reacts with the metals in haemoglobin.

Does anyone know why the solution turned brown? also if there is a website or book i can use that has this information i would be really grateful if you shared it with me.

Thanks in advance!
    The iron ion in haemoglobin is Fe 2+, but it reacted and formed Fe 3+ then it would turn brown, as Fe 3+ is a reddy-brown colour

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.