The Student Room Group

Can i apply now?

I really need some help. I'm in my first year at lancaster university studying Psychology, i enjoy the course but have not adjusted to the university from day one. My tutor told me it would get better with time, but it hasn't. i hate it :frown:

Now it's the middle of February and i'm interested in applying for Audiology at university of manchester. Everyone has applied and the deadlines are over :frown: but on the ucas website it says uni of manchester are still 'open for all applications'. Plus i don't know what the procedure is with ucas if you are already at university.
I feel like i've already wasted a year here and now it's too late to apply, next year is wasted too :frown:

Is there anyway around this or am i way too late..?
Reply 1
I applied a few days ago, to King's, City University, LCC and LCF. So far I've gotten an e-mail from King's saying they've received my application, and should be getting an LCC interview date any day now. It's not too late, but best to hurry up. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 2
You can still apply but you should put everything in your application. You'll be considered as a late applicant which means they look at other applications before yours but you're still in with a chance. I'd apply ASAP if you've got your heart set on another course. All of your questions about UCAS whilst at uni should be on the FAQ section of UCAS I imagine...
Reply 3
starrynights
I really need some help. I'm in my first year at lancaster university studying Psychology, i enjoy the course but have not adjusted to the university from day one. My tutor told me it would get better with time, but it hasn't. i hate it :frown:

Now it's the middle of February and i'm interested in applying for Audiology at university of manchester. Everyone has applied and the deadlines are over :frown: but on the ucas website it says uni of manchester are still 'open for all applications'. Plus i don't know what the procedure is with ucas if you are already at university.
I feel like i've already wasted a year here and now it's too late to apply, next year is wasted too :frown:

Is there anyway around this or am i way too late..?
If it's not the course that's the problem, why change it? I think you should stand back from this and take a cool hard look at what the issue really is. It's unusual for someone not to find their feet at Lancaster eventually, so I do wonder why it is that you are struggling with settling in there. Moving to another university and/or course could mean that you are simply taking the problem with you. As you will only qualify for four years' worth of loans it is well worth taking your time and not rushing into something else that could equally well turn out to be the wrong choice for you. That you refer to 'wasting' your time at Lancaster makes me wonder whether you had expectations of uni life that have turned out to be unrealistic.

You might well benefit from a year out - it would not be a year 'wasted' at all. Much more likely, you would have a better idea of what you really want to do and why. Whatever you do, get something out of this year by completing the courses and doing your best in them. The university may be willing to award you a Certificate of Higher Education for successful completion of the year, which just might come in handy later.

If you are serious about applying to Manchester for Audiology (and I really would counsel against this without extremely careful thought and an honest reflection on why it hasn't gone as you had hoped at Lancaster), you must check with the uni direct whether they will consider a late application. The UCAS site relies on unis updating their information, and they don't always do this in a timely way. Extra doesn't open until the end of the month, and it may be that Manchester will not be able to say until then whether they are going to be able to consider any more applicants. Alternatively, you could consider asking Manchester whether they would accept you for transfer into Year 2 of their psychology course.
Reply 4
Hi i just read this message!

I just thought i would give you "my story" haha ,as i have been to lancaster uni and i have studied psychy there...i have now left after being there for a year and a half. So i dropped out in second year.
From personal experience, i did not enjoy the course so much as i have more of an artisitic mind ,and to be brutally honest psychology does not allow much scope for a creative outlet no matter where you go. I did a lot of research into the subject to see what similiarties occured across the different unis, and most seem to be quite similar. I know of a handful of people who transfered to lancs in their second year from another uni, so i dont see why you would not be able to transfer to another if you really are passionate about the course but your just not so keen on the place.
I know for me the "city" and the course were just not doing it for me at all, i found myself completely miserable and i really regret not leaving sooner! So i am off to bham to study history of art which provides me with a bigger city and a creative course, two things i really really love. I applied after the deadline, and still managed to gain a condtional offer at bham uni, they just want proof that i got my results.
If you LOVE psychology, and i mean really LOVE it then you could consider staying with the course and possibly seeing if you could transfer to another uni next year if Lancs is just not for you. But if your not loving the course or the place it probably is not worth staying.Contact manchester university directly and explain your situation and find out whether the places have been settled.
So yer just think " do i really love psychy" and see if you could stick it out for a until exams and then transfer if its the place your not loving. otherwise if your not liking the course and really wanna do auditory then go for it.
Honestly, at the end of the day you have to think what makes you happy and if its all worth it.
Let me know how you get on!!
Hope it all works out ok
xx
You can apply, but as it's after the deadline they are not obliged to consider you.

Latest

Trending

Trending