Turn on thread page Beta

Ideas to vary running for fitness? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So i'm looking to get fitter for football matches as I've generally been blowing out my arse the last 20. At the moment I've started going on runs for 20-40 mins everyday.

But already it is getting a bit boring, so any ideas to just change it/vary it a bit apart from just changing the route but keeping the same amount of work?

Also does diet help, I'm not concerned about needing to lose weight or anything but I guess I will by default but does anything speed up/help the process of getting fitter?

ReputationRep:
    vary your speed?
    sprint as hard as you can for 10 seconds, then slowly job for a bit then sprint up a hill.

cycle

take up a fitness sport, i suggest boxing but things like badmignton has worked for people.

eat good carbs, there is a difference between good and bad.
    whole wheat bread, fruits and veg, oatmeal and brown rice are all good

eat good fats
    salmon and nuts,
    try to avoid chips, procesed things, pork and beef

food is fuel, whatever you put in your body will show in your performances.

ReputationRep:
    Interval training is the best type of running to improve your cardiovascular fitness. Try sprinting the long side of a football pitch and walking the short side. Just do 10 sprints. Mix this in with a run of about 2-3 miles and it should do you fine.

Hill sprints are good fun to do as well. Along with making you fitter it will most likely make you faster as well.

Oh and don't run everyday, it isn't great for you. Give you body time to recover... maybe try to do hard day, easy day, rest day and repeat that.

ReputationRep:
    Hiit, fartlek training, shuttle runs, suicides.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Yekim_8)
    So i'm looking to get fitter for football matches as I've generally been blowing out my arse the last 20. At the moment I've started going on runs for 20-40 mins everyday.

But already it is getting a bit boring, so any ideas to just change it/vary it a bit apart from just changing the route but keeping the same amount of work?

Also does diet help, I'm not concerned about needing to lose weight or anything but I guess I will by default but does anything speed up/help the process of getting fitter?
    Go for your runs on Tory or Seaton.

ReputationRep:
    yeah sprinting with jog back recovery

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the advice everyone, will definetly try out a few of these.

(Original post by Smack)
    Go for your runs on Tory or Seaton.

A run through Torry would certainly stop the boredom, whether I came out alive or not is another issue

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.