Turn on thread page Beta

Drink Driving, Your Opinion! watch

• View Poll Results: Would you ban drinking and driving?
    Yes
    67.50%
    No
    26.67%
    Meh
    5.83%

ReputationRep:
    To save the other legitimate thread from turning into a massive argument and helping no one, I thought I would make a poll in here on whether you think that drinking and then driving should be completely banned?

Personally, I think it should, I cannot see the point in the alcohol limit and I think, like drugs, you should not be allowed to drive if you have drunk anything alcoholic.

This is mostly because units are confusing and no one really knows how many units it takes to cause an effect on their driving ability. Therefore, a complete blanket ban will eliminate this confusion and make our roads safer.

So what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Only ignorant twunts drink and drive. People who do disgust me.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree. Some people i know can have 1 unit and feel absolutely fine, probably ok to drive(not that i condone it), but theres also some people i know who have 1 unit and are on there arse, also the ammount of food consumed effects drunkenness, i can feel light headed off a pint when ive not ate all day. Its probably easier just to have a complete ban.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah complete ban. Although could cause problems with the morning after etc as you would need to make sure everything is completely out of your system.

ReputationRep:
    I mean the flip side of the coin is to say that people should be able to judge how much is too much for themselves. But how can you know how drunk you are when you are rat arsed and can judge your new reactions.

I have been pissed off my face but you still swear blind that you are not drunk!

ReputationRep:
    I think a complete ban would be stupid, if someone has very low amounts of alcohol in them from the night before I think it would be unfair to give them a big driving ban etc.
    I'm against drinking and then immediately driving, even a single pint, but seeing as residual levels of alcohol stay in your blood stream for a long time after drinking long after the alcohol can affect your judgement and reactions in any way, it could lead to some unfairness.

ReputationRep:
    It is sensible as is.

A total zero tolerance policy of ANY alcohol in the blood is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    It's too much of a slippery slope, because it depends on the individual. Its easier to have a complete ban, get a taxi home after a night out. Better to have some unfairness then car crashes, hit and runs etc.

No if under the legal limit now and you know you can handle it then...

There is NO issue.

(Original post by gbduo)
    I mean the flip side of the coin is to say that people should be able to judge how much is too much for themselves. But how can you know how drunk you are when you are rat arsed and can judge your new reactions.

I have been pissed off my face but you still swear blind that you are not drunk!
    No one is saying get pissed off your face, keep the current limit. If your rat arsed off a pint, then its your own fault for drinking that in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yekim_8)
    Yeah complete ban. Although could cause problems with the morning after etc as you would need to make sure everything is completely out of your system.
    In Cardiff they sporadically do breath tests on morning commuter traffic. Surely the consequence of this is less people will drink to excess in the evening, and that would be a positive thing. Since I started driving my alcohol consumption has really dropped, I very rarely binge drink and if I do I make sure it's on a day where I won't be driving until at least mid-afternoon on the next day. People who drink to excess and then commute to work at 7am the next day are stupid, it's like having a double vodka for breakfast (but less pleasant). A blanket ban would eliminate such foolishness.

ReputationRep:
    Drink driving is completely irresponsible. To consume something which even in small quantities has an adverse effect on your reflexes etc.. And then operating a machine capable of killing children with only the slightest mistake at the wheel is something to be scorned regardless of how well an individual can hold their ale.

A 0 limit is unrealistic. But the punishments for making this choice knowing what the consequences may be, not just for yoursself but the indivdiual you might hit, should be made more harsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    No one is saying get pissed off your face, keep the current limit. If your rat arsed off a pint, then its your own fault for drinking that in the first place.
    Agreed.

But if drinking was completely banned then no one would be pissed off one pint and driving. And if they were and got caught, there would be no grey area of thinking christ, am I under the limit, are my judgements impaired?

Instead it will be replaced by, if I put alcohol in my system tonight and it is detected by a police officer, I WILL get points and a fine or DQL.

You know exactly where you stand with the law and in addition, it will improve safety on the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    To save the other legitimate thread from turning into a massive argument and helping no one, I thought I would make a poll in here on whether you think that drinking and then driving should be completely banned?

Personally, I think it should, I cannot see the point in the alcohol limit and I think, like drugs, you should not be allowed to drive if you have drunk anything alcoholic.

This is mostly because units are confusing and no one really knows how many units it takes to cause an effect on their driving ability. Therefore, a complete blanket ban will eliminate this confusion and make our roads safer.

So what do you think?
    Drink driving is clearly a bad thing, i have no disputewith that - however to say that you should not drive after drinking is a bit open ended isn't it:

"I had a pint two days ago, i shall not drive today as i have drank that drink"

......ok, thats a piss-take example, clearly you shouldn't be staggering drunk to your car to drive home, but what is safe? If you go out on thursday night, drink 6 or 7 pints and drive to work the next morning is that safe? Maybe you have to leave home at 6am to get to work, maybe at 3am..... whats afe, and who judges whats safe.

The current law, whereby the average person could drink about a pint of 4% alcohol and be allowed to drive is probably reasonably fair

ReputationRep:
    You mean an absolute 0 limit?

Unworkable. The punishment would have to lowered. Banning someone for a year from driving for (potentially) having drunk ginger beer/shandy/mouthwash, or yes half a pint, is completely absurd.

While it is very difficult to defend someone having done something intentionally which results in them being less able to perform an activity safely, I do not see any benefit in adopting a 0 limit.

Perhaps we should also ban people with bad colds from driving too? After all, "studies" show that having a bad cold can have as much of an impact on your ability to drive is the same as hovering around the drink-drive limit. Yes, the difference is that you don't choose to get a cold, but isn't this meant to be about safety?

(Original post by gbduo)
    Agreed.

But if drinking was completely banned then no one would be pissed off one pint and driving. And if they were and got caught, there would be no grey area of thinking christ, am I under the limit, are my judgements impaired?

Instead it will be replaced by, if I put alcohol in my system tonight and it is detected by a police officer, I WILL get points and a fine or DQL.

You know exactly where you stand with the law and in addition, it will improve safety on the road.
    Urgh I just think then your having too much state control. What if very small amounts are in your system from the night before? Like 0.05 units worth?

If your going to totally ban alcohol, then so should smoking while driving, energy drinks because of the crash you get after, listening to a radio etc etc.. You can argue they distract and slow you down just as much as a pint.

(Original post by Aeolus)
    Drink driving is completely irresponsible. To consume something which even in small quantities has an adverse effect on your reflexes etc.. And then operating a machine capable of killing children with only the slightest mistake at the wheel is something to be scorned regardless of how well an individual can hold their ale.
    Actually did this in a pub with my dad and his mates, half of them were quicker at catching a beer mat dropped above there hand than me when they had a pint in them. And I don't drink and drive.

If you can take it then whats the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, let me make my position clear for y'all.

I am opposed to people who have had a drink that night and getting into their car and driving home from the bar.

I think it is pretty safe to assume that if you had a drink the night before, went to bed at 12 midnight, got up at 7am to go to work, most of the alcohol would have been dealt with by that point and you would be safe enough to drive. If you went out on the lash and got absolutely hammered then it is obviously not safe for you to drive in the morning and you should be banned for being such an idiot.

(Original post by gbduo)
    Ok, let me make my position clear for y'all.

I am opposed to people who have had a drink that night and getting into their car and driving home from the bar.

I think it is pretty safe to assume that if you had a drink the night before, went to bed at 12 midnight, got up at 7am to go to work, most of the alcohol would have been dealt with by that point and you would be safe enough to drive. If you went out on the lash and got absolutely hammered then it is obviously not safe for you to drive in the morning and you should be banned for being such an idiot.
    Very small traces can be found 24 hours later sometimes.

According to you, someone who had 4-5 pints 24 hours ago should be banned because there is 0.05 units? I think thats harsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Very small traces can be found 24 hours later sometimes.

According to you, someone who had 4-5 pints 24 hours ago should be banned because there is 0.05 units? I think thats harsh.
    No, I didn't say that, read it again!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.