Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drink Driving, Your Opinion! watch

• View Poll Results: Would you ban drinking and driving?
    Yes
    67.50%
    No
    26.67%
    Meh
    5.83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volta82)
    70/80 year olds have much slower reactions than 20 year olds. They know this surely. The worst driving I see comes from older people. To be honest I think they're much more of a danger than a 30 year old who's had a couple of drinks andis below the limit. The limit is there for a reason: because it's a well regarded safe cut off point. Like I said in my previous post, someone who's taken a couple of co-codamol would have amounts of morphine in their blood. If they crashed and killed a person (whether it's a 'young child' or not as no relevance(your post smacks of Daily Mail scaremongering)) then surely by your logic they should be punished.

Of course. In fact i have a copy of a co-codamol label right here, which gives ample warning that if you feel the effects of such a drug you should not drive. If a driver crashes while dosed we must take into account the fact that they may well have ignored the warning, an irresponsible act which led to the needless death of another human being.

http://www.pharmj.com/editorial/advi...e_codamol.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volta82)
    My point is that there is a plethora of things which can potentially affect reactions/driving ability. People can drive with trace amounts of alcohol or medications in their blood and this can have no effect whatsoever on their reactions. Just because it's there doesn't necessarily mean it's causing a problem. Having a zero limit is akin to banning driving in the rain. Stopping distances will be increased either way.

Im not arguing in favour of a zero limit. But i am arguing in favour of a lower limit and harsher sentences.

ReputationRep:
    Its completly discusting ...no one should drink and drive. its so much of a risk...i dont know why anyone would risk it frankly.

ReputationRep:
    i say why drink in the first place?

it harms more than it benefits....don't drink at all, and drive safely.....because drunk people who do not even drive get into troubles and do wrong things......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8367141.stm Alcohol 'protects men's hearts' Most things in moderation are good for you!
    still, there are many other ways of protecting the heart, and drinking harms more than it benefits..

my point is, if you do not drink at all, then you can drive anytime....

(Original post by saalih)
    still, there are many other ways of protecting the heart, and drinking harms more than it benefits..

my point is, if you do not drink at all, then you can drive anytime....
    Erm drinking in moderation has more benefits than drawbacks.

I presume you never have the radio on, talk to passangers, use a hands free phone etc etc.. they can all be just as dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    DRINK DRIVING IS FINE! honestly, how many people cant handle a couple of pints and stil drive?

just the women and boys

ReputationRep:
    what idiot just negged me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deploythecowcatcher)
    what idiot just negged me?
    Not me, but for that previous post what did you expect, lol!

DRINK DRIVING IS FINE! honestly, how many people cant handle a couple of pints and stil drive?

just the women and boys
    Thats a bit too far.

ReputationRep:
    I think the law should be promoted as an complete ban (i.e. there should be no suggestion as there is currently that it's fine to drink a small amount of alcohol before driving as long as you're below the limit) but in terms of actually testing drivers there should be a very small tolerance of blood alcohol so you don't end up catching anyone and everyone who has had any alcohol in the last 24 hours.

There are people with very low alcohol tolerances who, under the current system, can legally drive while intoxicated. I've got a friend who got noticeably tipsy off a single JD and coke once - certainly wouldn't have wanted him driving after that!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry not going to read all 4 pages but:

I agree with a zero tolerance policy in principle (even as someone who'll have a pint after work and drive home, which would obviously be ruined).
    However I think it'd fall down on day afters. How would you know when you'd be ok to drive after drinking. 15hrs? or 24? As a scientist the amount of alcohol in your system will appear to form an asymptote to zero, so you'll still have to have a miniscule limit.

I think that's actually a problem with the current limit. Day after blood alcohol is as illegal as a blood alcohol level from booze just drunk, yet there's obviously a massive difference in mental and therefore driving perfomance. But there's problems with every way of stopping it. To be honest I'd just concentrate on drug driving, far more of an untapped problem..

ReputationRep:

just the women and boys
    I bet you're one of those people whose Facebook status is invariably about how drunk they got last night? You know, to prove how manly you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    I bet you're one of those people whose Facebook status is invariably about how drunk they got last night? You know, to prove how manly you are.
    well, i do go out on the p*** most friday and saturday nights lol. Last night I had 3 VK's pre-drinks, hit the clubs, had another 3 VK's and 2 Jager shots. Was pretty of my head at this point, and then I through up all over the toilet! It was live!

ReputationRep:
    well, i do go out on the p*** most friday and saturday nights lol. Last night I had 3 VK's pre-drinks, hit the clubs, had another 3 VK's and 2 Jager shots. Was pretty of my head at this point, and then I through up all over the toilet! It was live!
    That it!?

Christ, I would love to be a lightweight like you, it takes me so much more than that and it costs me a fortune!

Except red wine/champagne, that gets me ****** over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    That it!?

Christ, I would love to be a lightweight like you, it takes me so much more than that and it costs me a fortune!

Except red wine/champagne, that gets me ****** over!
    F*** you, I aint no lightwieght!

ReputationRep:
    and what d*** just negged me?

ReputationRep:
    F*** you, I aint no lightwieght!
    Why is that a bad thing!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Why is that a bad thing!?
    Heavyweights like me are real men. You honestly saying you wanna be like a little girl, who has 2 shots and ends up drunk??

ReputationRep:
    Heavyweights like me are real men. You honestly saying you wanna be like a little girl, who has 2 shots and ends up drunk??
    Hell yes, get drunk on a £10 sounds good to me! Rather than £50...

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.