Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else NOT LIKE valentines day? watch

ReputationRep:
    Also hate it, but miss_scarlett you are so hot you should have many people queing up to share it with you!

ReputationRep:
    I hate all the adverts they are so corny......get a room...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hate it!

It's rubbish single, and it's rubbish coupled-up. In the first case, I feel like a loveless loser who ought to just have done with it and become a cat lady. In the second case, I feel conned out of my money because of a made-up holiday.

The only good thing about Valentines is that immediately afterwards there is a LOT of discounted chocolate on sale.

ReputationRep:
    Don't mind it really. It's just another holiday but I guess it's a good opportunity to show how much you love/care about your partner (even if it is made up for companies to get more money ) Of course single people might feel muh around the time, but our time will come! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would say half the population would agree with you

I'm just going to ignore it this year, luckily it's on a Sunday, so I won't have to face everyone at college being all lovey dovey
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I don't like or dislike it any more than any other day.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care too much for it either.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel either way about it really. All my housemates are single this year, so we're going to go out and enjoy ourselves. Nights out on Valentines are probably going to be extortionate, it probably rips off single people as much as it does people in relationships, but oh well.

ReputationRep:
    what i don't get is, if you love someone that much, you shud buy them gifts or go out together anyway, not just because you have to on valentines, you shud do it off ur own back

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I COMPLETELY forgot Valentines was approaching..thanks for reminding me:cry2:

No but seriously i don't really have an opinion...everyday should be Valentines day

Its Chinese New year also - and i think thats more important:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I am genuinely very happy for anyone spending it with someone and maxing out its usefulness as they wish, but it can be awfully tiring and annoying on one's own. Invariably I'm in a bad mood leading up to it and spend the day under the duvet nomnomnoming Galaxy.

That in itself isn't normally a bad way to spend the day, I might add.

I hate it as well.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had any use for it; you don't need a reason to be all :lovedup2: Also, it'd piss me off if someone I was with tried to make a big deal out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Hate it! the first one that i'm alone.... Definately Hate It!

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it you're not alone :P

This is just sad. Obviously it's a nice day now that I'm with someone but... I never gave it a second thought when I was single .

None of you dislike valentines day - you just dislike the fact that you can't participate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    This is just sad. Obviously it's a nice day now that I'm with someone but... I never gave it a second thought when I was single .

None of you dislike valentines day - you just dislike the fact that you can't participate.
    No, it's not like that. What it is, is a tired corporate cash cow.

(Original post by QwentyJ)
    No, it's not like that. What it is, is a tired corporate cash cow.
    Yawn. So is everything these days. That's the tired old excuse of a singleton if ever I heard one. No one's forcing anyone to buy anything, you can celebrate the day with the person you love without contributing one penny to the cards / flowers industries if you want. It's not about spending money, it's about taking a little extra time, and being that little bit more thoughtful.

What's wrong with having an excuse to make an extra effort once a year? And enough of the "but it should be like that every day!!!" whining. Again, that's singleton thinking. It's just plain daft to say that you can / should take hours making a nice dinner and putting in that extra bit of effort every night. Especially in the real world where people have jobs / children to hoover up their time. A little push in the direction of doing so once extra a year can only be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)

....Completely disregarding the fact that about half the people who have said they dislike Valentine's day are in relationships.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.