Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys would u be offended if ur girlfriend wanted her bed Watch

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I are getting a place together...but...I want to bring my own bed...of course I dont mind sleeping in the same bed as him but honestly I dont want to feel like we're married, more like roomies. I know it sounds kinna silly, but it is what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    My boyfriend and I are getting a place together...but...I want to bring my own bed...of course I dont mind sleeping in the same bed as him but honestly I dont want to feel like we're married, more like roomies. I know it sounds kinna silly, but it is what it is.
    I'd rather share a bed with my girlfriend - if he is your longtime partner, and you're serious enough to move in together, it probably should feel more like you're "married" than just roomies though.

Still - as with all relationship issues - the answer is to communicate with him about this, see how you both feel and try to reach an agreement .

ReputationRep:
    of course I dont mind sleeping in the same bed as him but honestly I dont want to feel like we're married, more like roomies.
    i know what you mean, and i can see your point. maybe you should talk to him about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dichr0ic)
    i know what you mean, and i can see your point. maybe you should talk to him about it
    What should i say, I dont want to hurt his feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Ask him about it. Explain how you feel.

Personally, wouldn't bother me, but he might feel differently.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, If I were moving in with a girlfriend who wanted to sleep in her own bed at night, I'd love it. Don't like sharing a bed all night.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's reasonable enough, to want your own space and bed, especially if you guys argue or something. Besides it's good to have space for your stuff, and a spare bed for people staying over.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I wouldn't mind I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    What should i say, I dont want to hurt his feelings.
    i don't see why his feelings would be hurt

so you don't want to feel like you're married (sleeping in the same bed can lead to lack of sleep and hence tension in the relationship, :fyi:), so you want to sleep in separate beds

doesn't mean you can't do anything you would have done in a shared bed :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Me and girlfriend found the ultimate solution to this at a hotel once.

MASSIVE bed. and I mean massive, like a foot wider than you're imagining in your head.

You get all the perks off sharing a bed, but then you get to sleep properly because there's soooooo much room.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a good idea, and its what I plan to do with my boyfriend, except we've talked about it and are in agreement. You shouldn't have to feel like you have to sleep in the same bed just because you're in a relationship and living together - its been proven that couples don't always get better sleep because of it. But each couple is different, and none of us can really tell you how he'll react, though maybe you have an idea from what you've discussed in the past and what you know about him and you as a couple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    Me and girlfriend found the ultimate solution to this at a hotel once.

MASSIVE bed. and I mean massive, like a foot wider than you're imagining in your head.

You get all the perks off sharing a bed, but then you get to sleep properly because there's soooooo much room.
    Na. Me and my boyfriend share a king size bed and duvet when we're at his, and that's manageable but not preferable. A double bed is a bloody nightmare. And I'm used to a single bed with a double duvet so I like my covers!

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend have been together a while, and spoken about living together if it lasts through uni (I'm at uni, he's at home so its long distance). We're both really fidgety sleepers so we've agreed we would each have our own bed, but that doesnt mean that we cant share occasionnally if we feel like it - everyone's a winner!

ReputationRep:
    I think I might be a bit perturbed by the idea, especially if you just sprung it on me. Unless you were a really light sleeper I can't see why you don't want to share.

Just my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I think I might be a bit perturbed by the idea, especially if you just sprung it on me. Unless you were a really light sleeper I can't see why you don't want to share.
    I'm a light sleeper and fidgety, and my boyfriend snores and talks in his sleep. Most of the time, not a great combination.
    I think its a reasonable request considering the negative effects lack of sleep can have on the relationship, like short tempers, annoyance and possibly resentment if it went on for so long.
    That's not to say at all that I'd always sleep in a separate bed; it would just be on the occasions where I really would be getting no sleep that night if I didn't move to the other bed.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... see if I were living with my other half and we were sleeping in separate beds I'd assume we were one of those elderly couples who stopped having sex years ago.

ReputationRep:
    easy to see both sides of this - I'd say you should take your bed but sooner or later you should probably be sharing a bed if your living together, for both of your sakes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    I'm a light sleeper and fidgety, and my boyfriend snores and talks in his sleep. Most of the time, not a great combination.
    I think its a reasonable request considering the negative effects lack of sleep can have on the relationship, like short tempers, annoyance and possibly resentment if it went on for so long.
    That's not to say at all that I'd always sleep in a separate bed; it would just be on the occasions where I really would be getting no sleep that night if I didn't move to the other bed.
    Yeah that's why I mentioned if you were a light sleeper I can understand. Otherwise why does the OP want a separate bed? I love snuggling up to the person I love and falling asleep, it's just so nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Hmm... see if I were living with my other half and we were sleeping in separate beds I'd assume we were one of those elderly couples who stopped having sex years ago.
    Sentiments felt.

ReputationRep:
    I live with my boyfriend now, when we moved in we aquired two single beds, so we just push them together to make a king. Hence we have seperate beds but all in one bed at the same time. We have a duvet each, seperate sheets etc, and it works all very well. Have fantastic sleep. -

I dont think I could go back to a double, its definatly better.

My point is, if you both have a single bed - pushed together, you get the space you need yet you are together too. - was funny last night my boyfriend had horrific hiccups in which the vibrations were keeping me awake, so i just moved my bed a little haha.

all in all, just speak to him and explain how you feel. I dont see there being anything wrong with it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.