Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do you not see many Chevrolets/Cadillacs/dodges etc. in the UK when they are the most popular companies in the US?

ReputationRep:
    because they are rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Because we don't get them here much?

ReputationRep:
    Because they are unnecessarily oversized which makes parking ridiculously hard in a country which doesn't willingly cater for the obese; this not to mention the fact the interior is so damned poor, the engine even poorer and the all round build quality of a Taiwanese action toy.

Although I have to say I'm a major fan of the Z08, and of course, how can anyone not like the SRT10 (Viper)?

ReputationRep:
    lots of reasons,

e.g.

american companies. and stereotypical ones at that. so naturally, americans will want them more than english folk.

there're also MUCH more expensive relativity, for us brits. not only buying price, but running costs.

people dont see them around, so many people dont know anything about them, so they dont consider them.

they're not advertised.

most of them aren't actually very good. some of them are. but most aren't.

etc....

ReputationRep:
    also american roads dont have many corners so most american cars dont handle.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a Z08 today :coma:

ReputationRep:
    The engines are large and do little mileage to the gallon
    And i'm pretty sure the import taxes would be astronomical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I saw a Z08 today :coma:

I'm sure y'all are talking about the Z06... we never made a Z08

As for most american cars not handling well, I guess that's subjective but for the most part yes...

And we do have corners, we actually have some very good corners... you just have to look for them, regular roads are straight and utilitarian, back roads are more curvy and fun

(Original post by PiscesIsis)
    The engines are large and do little mileage to the gallon
    And i'm pretty sure the import taxes would be astronomical

My 5.7 gets 25mpg combined

My brothers 5.7L got 32 highway....

Just because the engine is bigger doesn't mean the economy always suffers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    I'm sure y'all are talking about the Z06... we never made a Z08
    Whatever, it was a Corvette and it was very pretty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Whatever, it was a Corvette and it was very pretty

I agree one of my friends owns one, its a very sexy car, though I don't like it in red...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    also american roads dont have many corners so most american cars dont handle.
    ...?

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine it's because they'd have to be transported across the atlantic and converted to right hand drive, and we already have a well established European car market..

ReputationRep:

My 5.7 gets 25mpg combined

My brothers 5.7L got 32 highway....

Just because the engine is bigger doesn't mean the economy always suffers
    No offence mate, but that is shocking.

In the UK, the strive is for cars with really good economy due to the price of fuel, pretty much if a car does not get 40mpg, it is uneconomical.

Sad but true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    No offence mate, but that is shocking.

In the UK, the strive is for cars with really good economy due to the price of fuel, pretty much if a car does not get 40mpg, it is uneconomical.

Sad but true!

For a sports car it's not bad, but I mean find me a car that is sporty not a Renault clio or something that gets over 35 and I'll give you a cookie :p:

ReputationRep:
    For a sports car it's not bad, but I mean find me a car that is sporty not a Renault clio or something that gets over 35 and I'll give you a cookie :p:
    Honda S2k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Honda S2k?

Yea... they get like 20mpg, 30 at the VERY most, they don't have any power down low, since you have to revv them high to go anywhere...

ReputationRep:
    Yea... they get like 20mpg, 30 at the VERY most, they don't have any power down low, since you have to revv them high to go anywhere...
    Lol, I am thinking of buying one...

Someone told me they got 35mpg! Liars!

I dunno, something diesel probably, haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Lol, I am thinking of buying one...

Someone told me they got 35mpg! Liars!

I dunno, something diesel probably, haha!

Diesel sports car O.o, only thing I've seen close to that was the r8 tdi concept. Nsx maybe? Doubtful... WAIT lotus elise that has to do it

ReputationRep:
    Diesel sports car O.o, only thing I've seen close to that was the r8 tdi concept. Nsx maybe? Doubtful... WAIT lotus elise that has to do it
    Ooo good call!

I know, oxymoron but some of the diesels are pretty good now...but yeh, you have to spend a lot I think!

The Audi V10 TDI is immense!

NSX, doesn't that have a V6?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 27, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.