Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can tell you that the crown vic is a pos and was never meant to be a fast car. It's the same car they use for the mercury grand marquis its meant to be an old persons car. You can't nearly say anything about your seat ibaiziaaizieaisdfjizia that you can about our normal sports cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilMc)
    After my remap its quicker than the 2.0 TDI Leons you are reffering too Proven at a meet. Rolling start 2nd Gear and it was bye bye Leon
    Yes, my mums car (2008 BMW 320D Msport) which I make use off at weekends is more refined but the Ibiza is more fun to drive because it feels quicker. The BMW hides the speed it does so isn't as fun.
    Yeh, which is why I didn't buy the Leon TDI because when I got back into my Ibiza (lol) which is only a 1.4 petrol and slow as ****, but when you go round the same country lanes as I took the diesel and you can hold the revs at 5k and accelerate out, the noise just makes it feel better and you don't have to worry about changing gear all the time!

Were these the 170bhp FR TDI Leons? I mean this Leon wasn't slow and it handles really well, like all Seats, but I just felt that a diesel could never be sporty because you can't hold the gears and its just noisy with no benefit.

My Dad has the 635d which is a straight 6, 3 litre, twin turbo diesel. That thing is incredible, it is like a pocket rocket! It is really smooth and quiet and you could not really tell it is a diesel, but the torque is immense and it revs higher than the VW units meaning you can have more fun with the engine. I mean it is almost as fast as my Jag, but gets 40mpg. I can see the point in Diesel, i mean hell, i work with the biggest diesels in the world as part of my job, but as a car that is fun to drive, I really think unless it is a BMW engine or maybe the new VAG Diesels inspired by the R10...they are just boring.

But hey, neither of us are going to budge! I tried diesel, didn't like it, obviously you thought differently!

The chassis on the Ibiza is immense though isn't it!! Such a fun car to drive, waaaay better than the Polo or any French tat! I love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Yeh, which is why I didn't buy the Leon TDI because when I got back into my Ibiza (lol) which is only a 1.4 petrol and slow as ****, but when you go round the same country lanes as I took the diesel and you can hold the revs at 5k and accelerate out, the noise just makes it feel better and you don't have to worry about changing gear all the time!

Were these the 170bhp FR TDI Leons? I mean this Leon wasn't slow and it handles really well, like all Seats, but I just felt that a diesel could never be sporty because you can't hold the gears and its just noisy with no benefit.

My Dad has the 635d which is a straight 6, 3 litre, twin turbo diesel. That thing is incredible, it is like a pocket rocket! It is really smooth and quiet and you could not really tell it is a diesel, but the torque is immense and it revs higher than the VW units meaning you can have more fun with the engine. I mean it is almost as fast as my Jag, but gets 40mpg. I can see the point in Diesel, i mean hell, i work with the biggest diesels in the world as part of my job, but as a car that is fun to drive, I really think unless it is a BMW engine or maybe the new VAG Diesels inspired by the R10...they are just boring.

But hey, neither of us are going to budge! I tried diesel, didn't like it, obviously you thought differently!

The chassis on the Ibiza is immense though isn't it!! Such a fun car to drive, waaaay better than the Polo or any French tat! I love it.
    Sorry I edited it. Was the 140 models. Although mine will sit with an FR just not beat it. I guess it is because the Leons are so much more heavy.

The Ibiza is a great wee car, mine is on AP Coilovers at the minute so it really does handle fantastically

As I said, it'll do till I get my BMW :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilMc)
    Sorry I edited it. Was the 140 models. Although mine will sit with an FR just not beat it. I guess it is because the Leons are so much more heavy.

The Ibiza is a great wee car, mine is on AP Coilovers at the minute so it really does handle fantastically

As I said, it'll do till I get my BMW :p:
    Ah fair enough.

I am in the process of selling my car, but trying to find a replacement is really tough! I am finding it really tough to find a car as good as the Ibiza for decent money and offer the reliability.

I have ended up at the S2k right now, for this week, which I think look immense and being RWD should be a lot of fun.

BMWs are cool though, get the 335d and you can't go wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Ah fair enough.

I am in the process of selling my car, but trying to find a replacement is really tough! I am finding it really tough to find a car as good as the Ibiza for decent money and offer the reliability.

I have ended up at the S2k right now, for this week, which I think look immense and being RWD should be a lot of fun.

BMWs are cool though, get the 335d and you can't go wrong!

What exactly are you looking for, handling and fuel economy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    What exactly are you looking for, handling and fuel economy?
    Yeh! But I think I am going to have to compromise on one, and that is going to have to be fuel economy.

Oh well, another polar bear bites the dust. That will teach it for being a fussy eater!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, S2000's are great cars they really are... If you don't mind having an older car the Silvia is also a great car. I can get around 30mph in my brothers silvia and it makes 320whp, another car in that same price range is the e36 m3 which is quite an astounding car, though it will be the most expensive on insurance I'm sure.

Trying to think of any others...

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want a e36, as brilliant as they are, they are a bit of a tossers car!

The S2k is grp 20, the soft top makes insurance expensive too, so insurance is currently £1400 with Admiral. I think if I went with Adrian Flux it would be half that amount, but still yeh, not cheap. But this is about the only time in my life I can own a stupid car when I have no real commitments or responsibilities.

I don't think I have ever seen the Nissan Silvia in the UK, but i will have a look on autotrader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I don't really want a e36, as brilliant as they are, they are a bit of a tossers car!

The S2k is grp 20, the soft top makes insurance expensive too, so insurance is currently £1400 with Admiral. I think if I went with Adrian Flux it would be half that amount, but still yeh, not cheap. But this is about the only time in my life I can own a stupid car when I have no real commitments or responsibilities.

I don't think I have ever seen the Nissan Silvia in the UK, but i will have a look on autotrader.

Get the Silvia with a turbo or else it's rubbish. You can also find a 180-200sx and they are the same thing as the silvia. Civic type r or an integra type r are quite fun as well. Though I'm not a fan of FWD those are the few I would. Other than that you can pick up an evo5 for the same price as all of these... reason I know that cause I've been looking at all of them

Though for the price of insurance the Skyline gtr came out the cheapest which made my head spin...

ReputationRep:
    Get the Silvia with a turbo or else it's rubbish. You can also find a 180-200sx and they are the same thing as the silvia. Civic type r or an integra type r are quite fun as well. Though I'm not a fan of FWD those are the few I would. Other than that you can pick up an evo5 for the same price as all of these... reason I know that cause I've been looking at all of them

Though for the price of insurance the Skyline gtr came out the cheapest which made my head spin...
    Not keen on Evos, I think they look silly.

CTR is a brilliant car, the place where I am going to look at this S2k has a few so can have a drive of one of them as well.

I will investigate the 180-200sx then. I think my mate has a 300sx or something, 3ltr twin turbo, 380bhp or something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Not keen on Evos, I think they look silly.

CTR is a brilliant car, the place where I am going to look at this S2k has a few so can have a drive of one of them as well.

I will investigate the 180-200sx then. I think my mate has a 300sx or something, 3ltr twin turbo, 380bhp or something!

The 300zx tt is a great car buddy of mine owned one, its very fast cheap to mod and handles great. They're quite comfortable as well, the engine bay is quite cramped so hopefully you have small hands...

Can't think of too many others... everything else is a bit too expensive or too limp wristed

ReputationRep:
    The 300zx tt is a great car buddy of mine owned one, its very fast cheap to mod and handles great. They're quite comfortable as well, the engine bay is quite cramped so hopefully you have small hands...

Can't think of too many others... everything else is a bit too expensive or too limp wristed
    Yeh, that is the good thing at the moment, cars have tumbled in price so you can get a lot of car for the money!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can tell you that the crown vic is a pos and was never meant to be a fast car. It's the same car they use for the mercury grand marquis its meant to be an old persons car. You can't nearly say anything about your seat ibaiziaaizieaisdfjizia that you can about our normal sports cars.
    An understressed engine has a lot of benefits. The Crown Vic taxis I hitch rides in often have 1/2 a million miles on them, original engine, original transmission. Try that on a 2.0 liter four boosted to 270 hp. It would never make it. The 4.6 V8 is engineered well for what it is designed to do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 27, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.