Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

NHS Chlamydia Valentine's Cards watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh! such a dastardly plan)
    I understand completely what you mean, but I think they underestimate how many people know about the dangers of it. There are adverts EVERYWHERE for it, most prominently at peak times when teenagers watch TV. We've got the message. It just seems a waste to add more advertisements to the campaign now, especially as I've chucked each one in the bin so far.
    That's the thing, as I said, I've begun to teach sex education. Sure, people on my course know a lot about it (you'd kinda hope so considering we're doing medicine), but it's quite clear a lot of under 25s, including 18 year olds and sometimes under 18 year olds, do NOT know about the dangers. Particularly from lower educated backgrounds. Just because you know, and people you know of know, doesn't mean it's common knowledge. There has been some research into it and it was quite shocking (I'm quite busy so I'm not going to find the study) about how people believe they can contract STIs, and there are some viscious rumours around. The NHS cannot afford to underestimate how many people don't know of the different dangers and the different methods of contraction, so they may as well overestimate. It probably costs them less to print off a few cards and send them to houses and do other advertising campaigns than it does to treat increasingly more people for STIs. Oh, and someone has to do it, because from my experiences alone (even when I was actually in a school, not teaching it myself) the state of sex education is terrible. I still don't know why people have an issue, other than their pride, about the government sending out these things (as I said, cost isn't seen as a financial issue to them- NHS have and always will do health promotion, depending on what is becoming more of a problem for them. learning about health promotion as doctors and within the NHS is also a big part of my course itself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh! such a dastardly plan)
    I'm not saying it's a terrible idea, but look at what you've just told me. There are already two other different kinds of advertising. A card sent through the post backlogs an already struggling postal service and wastes paper! (I do recycle) It's now almost as if they pressure you into getting the test, which I'm sure is not the NHS that people want.
    I did mention two other types of advertising, and how both of them have quite a potential to fail. I never look at posters in bus stops or whatever, and I'm sure I'm not the only one - and there are still people without televisions or regular enough access to be on if and when these adverts are being shown - and it's fairly easy to forget if you see something once on tv. And, even with these current advertising systems in place, chlamydia is still on the rise. A card is right there, on your doorstep, and it's a constant visual reminder of the risks involved and the ease and availability of tests. And a lot of people are still clueless about chlamydia and the risks involved, especially since there are no obvious symptoms if you've got it.

Why isn't it the kind of NHS that people want? What possible negative benefit could come from being tested (apart from somebody finding out that you've cheated, in which case it's your own fault)?

(and as for:
    I wouldn't post anything if I didn't know what I was talking about, that would be silly.
    , I apologise - you'd be surprised by the number of people who do post )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    roses are red-ish
    Violets are blue-ish
    If you don't have a foreskin
    You're probably Jew-ish
    Roses are red-ish
    Violets are blue-ish
    If it wasn't for Easter
    You're probably Jewish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    I sympathise with your position, but lets hypothetically assume that you did have unprotected sex, multiple partners etc, would you be honestly truthful about that?

Even if you would, from my experience (as a medical student), the vast majority of people who have a problem that could potentially be caused by unprotected sex, teenagers are nortoriously unforthcoming about it, even if it's apparent (one girl was pregnant and claimed she never had sex ever, let alone unprotected sex). So it would be nice if you could cut doctors a little bit of slack, even if you find the questions a little disconcerting.
    Yes I understand all that. But I do not think that doctors should tar everyone with the same brush like that. Yes warn that unprotected sex can lead to problems and blah but don't actually treat people that could be telling the truth as if they are a stupid teenager who is too horny to be safe! I tell you, the doctor-patient relationship will not improve if there are practising doctors who are stereotyping people!

Also, the problem I had, there were multiple different things that could have caused it but she pounced on the STI one immediately and didn't bother telling me about the other things that could have caused it, you know, didn't explain that perhaps just maybe that pill was not right for me...oh no.

I completely understand your point and I know that people will lie about things like that, but surely as a doctor you also have to think that MAYBE that person is telling the truth and treat them with respect and not as if they are idiots who have no idea how to look after themselves. I bet you, if my Mom would have gone in with the same problem, NOTHING would have been said about STI's, or at least a minimal amount. This is my point. Stereotyping and generalising is BAD and whenever I qualify as a doctor I certainly won't be tarring everyone with the same brush like that, of course I will explain all those things to them but I will not be just saying (as an example) "Well you must have had unprotected sex" when quite a possible cause of their problem is that their pill is not suiting them.

I also hope that she did not treat anyone else like that (no doubt she did) because I'm sure someone will definitely be less likely to tell the truth about those things if a doctor (someone they thought they could trust who was not going to judge them) was trying to force a confession out of them.

I agree with your argument but I think that some doctors need to go about the whole situation in a completely different way or they may be pushing the most vulnerable people away.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.