Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    My school has just told me that we should start thinking of our 2000 word
    essay for History Standard. Could any1 please give me some suggestions?

We have done, Mussolini, Stalin and China, and we will be doing cold war and something else i can't remember. So i thought doing something on those topics would help but I'm really stuck :eek3:
    please help!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The question is - What do you like?
    If it isn't about like - What do you find easiest.
    If it isn't about either - What is it you remember the most on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srsthsr)
    Hi guys,
    My school has just told me that we should start thinking of our 2000 word
    essay for History Standard. Could any1 please give me some suggestions?

We have done, Mussolini, Stalin and China, and we will be doing cold war and something else i can't remember. So i thought doing something on those topics would help but I'm really stuck :eek3:
    please help!

Thanks
    Please don't do something on your syllabus! This is the beauty of the IB! You can do anything you want. I did "To what extent was Elizabeth I’s foreign policy a cause for Philip II of Spain to attempt to invade England in 1588?" - Spanish Armada basically.

Any help what so ever you need. PM me, happy to give any help or advice on it

ReputationRep:
    above poster is wrrrrrrrong.
    extended essay is for something you enjoy, coursework is a perfect opportunity for revision, especially around now!

i did mine on the willy-nicky telegrams between the tsar and the kaiser, and personally i think it was a great topic
    1. easy primary source (very important)
    2. my question was basically on german/kaisers responsibility for WWI therefore great revision for me (are you doing causes, practices and effects of war?)
    3. genuinely interesting topic
    4. how many sources are there on german aggression in july 1914?

so basically, my advice. choose a topic that you are pretty sure you are going to revise for the exam (perhaps mao - we have to do a war from a different region in many questions so this may halp...? though you may struggle to find sources), one that interests you, and you are sure you can find some primary evidence to analyse.

handed my final draft in yesterday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    above poster is wrrrrrrrong.
    extended essay is for something you enjoy, coursework is a perfect opportunity for revision, especially around now!

i did mine on the willy-nicky telegrams between the tsar and the kaiser, and personally i think it was a great topic
    1. easy primary source (very important)
    2. my question was basically on german/kaisers responsibility for WWI therefore great revision for me (are you doing causes, practices and effects of war?)
    3. genuinely interesting topic
    4. how many sources are there on german aggression in july 1914?

so basically, my advice. choose a topic that you are pretty sure you are going to revise for the exam (perhaps mao - we have to do a war from a different region in many questions so this may halp...? though you may struggle to find sources), one that interests you, and you are sure you can find some primary evidence to analyse.

handed my final draft in yesterday
    He's a first year, anything he does for his coursework he will forget by the time the second year exams come around.

Also, your topic that you have mentioned helps you revise something which is essentially incredibly easy to learn, and to be honest if you enjoy History, why do your topic on something your going to learn, or have learnt anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    He's a first year, anything he does for his coursework he will forget by the time the second year exams come around.

Also, your topic that you have mentioned helps you revise something which is essentially incredibly easy to learn, and to be honest if you enjoy History, why do your topic on something your going to learn, or have learnt anyway.
    Well I wasn't to know that was I, considering that I'd just done mine it isn't inconceivable that he is a second year is it...?

I still stand by that the extended essay is a far better place to do something you are interested in. You have a lot more time, a lot fewer restrictions, and much less teacher involvement. With the coursework, I found that doing "To what extent do the Willy-Nicky telegrams show the Kaiser's unwillingness to go to war" far more helpful than if I had do it on a part of history I really loved (which at the moment, I don't have a particular favourite) and has helped cement the topic in my mind, and given me a far different take on it - I essentially concluded that the Kaiser wasn't being completely aggressive and instead was just really bloody crap at his job, so I think if I got a question in the exam on it I would have a different take on it than many.

Also, the OP has said that he is doing Standard, not Higher, and unlike us who are applying to do it at uni, it is unlikely to be their main prority and doing it on something they know something about already is likely to be more beneficial.

Some advice OP - stick to exactly what the markscheme/exemplar essay says - you can lose really stupid marks in the coursework, which can dramatically affect your grade. Its not too hard, once you get the style right, which can be quite disorientating at times.

ReputationRep:
    Well I wasn't to know that was I, considering that I'd just done mine it isn't inconceivable that he is a second year is it...?

I still stand by that the extended essay is a far better place to do something you are interested in. You have a lot more time, a lot fewer restrictions, and much less teacher involvement. With the coursework, I found that doing "To what extent do the Willy-Nicky telegrams show the Kaiser's unwillingness to go to war" far more helpful than if I had do it on a part of history I really loved (which at the moment, I don't have a particular favourite) and has helped cement the topic in my mind, and given me a far different take on it - I essentially concluded that the Kaiser wasn't being completely aggressive and instead was just really bloody crap at his job, so I think if I got a question in the exam on it I would have a different take on it than many.

Also, the OP has said that he is doing Standard, not Higher, and unlike us who are applying to do it at uni, it is unlikely to be their main prority and doing it on something they know something about already is likely to be more beneficial.

Some advice OP - stick to exactly what the markscheme/exemplar essay says - you can lose really stupid marks in the coursework, which can dramatically affect your grade. Its not too hard, once you get the style right, which can be quite disorientating at times.
    I didn't disagree, and I do agree with you regarding Extended Essay. However, to be fair, it being the middle of February, and coursework deadline being under a month away for all IB coursework, and next week being half term, I assumed it to be quite obvious he was a first year.

P.S Good luck with Durham

ReputationRep:
    I didn't disagree, and I do agree with you regarding Extended Essay. However, to be fair, it being the middle of February, and coursework deadline being under a month away for all IB coursework, and next week being half term, I assumed it to be quite obvious he was a first year.

P.S Good luck with Durham
    welllllll, maybe im just stooooopid.

Good luck with Warwick

ReputationRep:
    welllllll, maybe im just stooooopid.

Good luck with Warwick
    Cheers, be wonderful if both of them moved their arses.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, be wonderful if both of them moved their arses.
    you're telling me!
    and kings. though a boy at my school applying for history at kings has got an offer two weeks ago

ReputationRep:
    you're telling me!
    and kings. though a boy at my school applying for history at kings has got an offer two weeks ago
    I very almost applied to Kings, changed my mind at last Minute to UCL, kinda glad I did though. Good luck with them too

ReputationRep:
    Get a room
    :topic:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot guys, really... im thinking about it atm! If I found out what I will do if i posted it here could you guys please give me some more tips? :P tyvmmmm

EDIT: By the way, this is my frist year of doing IB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srsthsr)
    Thanks alot guys, really... im thinking about it atm! If I found out what I will do if i posted it here could you guys please give me some more tips? :P tyvmmmm

EDIT: By the way, this is my frist year of doing IB
    Yeah sure Pm me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.