Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was watching a news report about a month ago on social mobility and it made me think, has anyone on here been to a poor / hard-pressed background or went to a bad or failing comprehensive school but has managed to go to a top uni such as Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, Durham, Bristol etc, etc.?

ReputationRep:
    Well my step-brother went to the same crappy, on the verge of being closed down comprehensive as me,and now he's graduated from York, I think he's got a masters.

It is possible.

ReputationRep:
    Fellow students from my failed (aka now closed) comprehensive went to Oxbridge, UCL etc.

ReputationRep:
    There's probably quite a few on here. Not me, I went to a comprehensive, but it wan't that bad. Although I know someone who went to a comp that's about to close down it's so bad and she managed to get straight A*s at GCSE. Don't know what uni she's going to though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this applies to me!! I grew up on a council estate unitl the age of 10. I then went to a secondary school in a really deprived area. Only 40% of pupils leave this school with 5 A - C's at GCSE. Most of my peers are either working in Tesco or in prison (no joke, a lad who was in my class is spending life in prison for murder :eek: ). However, I worked my God damn arse off. I went to a crappy uni - Kingston for my undergraduate degree but I'm now at the University of Bristol doing a Masters.

It really does make me chukcle when all the rah's and the Hooray Henry's here who went to Eton, Westminster, Harrow etc, etc. show off about wonderful their school is because I always think to myself ''Your parents had to pay thousands of pounds to get you here and my parents didn't pay a penny for my schooling - I'm here on my own merit''

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it is everyone has to work as hard to get their exam results no matter what school they go to - they take the same exams. Obviously there are external pressures that impact upon performance, but if you have the mindset that you want to achieve and go to university then you can do that whatever school to go to. I really don't see it as a badge of honour wherever you went to school - Eton or a failing comprehensive. Obviously, those 'higher' up the social scale may have more things in their favour (supportive parents etc.) but ultimately it's down to personal will and conscious decision-making. I find people who say 'I went to a ****** comp yet I'm at a good uni init init init' just as annoying as those who say 'I went to Eton and I'm at a good uni rah rah rah.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swallows)
    The way I see it is everyone has to work as hard to get their exam results no matter what school they go to - they take the same exams. Obviously there are external pressures that impact upon performance, but if you have the mindset that you want to achieve and go to university then you can do that whatever school to go to.
    So are you seriously suggesting that someone from a sink estate or failing comp does not wish to go to Oxbridge or any other top uni? It's not just about mindset, it's primarily about how your life circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    I went to what was then the worst school in Manchester, quite tough, inner-city comprehensive etc......add to that quite a dysfunctional background and deprived upbringing etc etc...and I went to a Leeds to study English.

The stress of getting there made me ill and I had to drop out but even so I can still say I got in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swallows)
    The way I see it is everyone has to work as hard to get their exam results no matter what school they go to - they take the same exams. Obviously there are external pressures that impact upon performance, but if you have the mindset that you want to achieve and go to university then you can do that whatever school to go to. I really don't see it as a badge of honour wherever you went to school - Eton or a failing comprehensive. Obviously, those 'higher' up the social scale may have more things in their favour (supportive parents etc.) but ultimately it's down to personal will and conscious decision-making. I find people who say 'I went to a ****** comp yet I'm at a good uni init init init' just as annoying as those who say 'I went to Eton and I'm at a good uni rah rah rah.'
    The way I see it is, if you had a better education you have better chances of going to a better university, getting a better job, and then having a better life. Your education/upbringing has a knock on effect to how your life will turn out. I'm not going to boast but had a studied my A levels conventionally I'd have applied to Oxbridge and would like to think I'd have had a good chance of getting in, but that never happened and I'm happy to have gone where I went even though I had to drop out.

So I largely diagree that work ethic alone will get you into good universties.

And I also respect someone who came from a poorer background and got int x uni than the one who came from a better background/had a better upbringing and got into the same one.

ReputationRep:
    My Secondary school was in special measures by Ofsted, and at one point only 27% of students were getting 5 A-C grades. I am very proud to hold an offer from RHUL which averages at somewhere around 10 in the league tables for Psychology. I see myself as achieving in the same way as other people of my age (from all 'classes') however, I would still argue that my GCSEs would be miles better had I had a better Secondary school. I mean, when I'm older, if I ever have a child (god forbid) then it would be going to a private school, just so that I could make sure it had the most opportunity for high achievement, the kind of opportunity that I believe everyone deserves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I went to what was then the worst school in Manchester, quite tough, inner-city comprehensive etc......add to that quite a dysfunctional background and deprived upbringing etc etc...and I went to a Leeds to study English.

The stress of getting there made me ill and I had to drop out but even so I can still say I got in there.
    Hiya,

I went the other way (Leeds to Manchester) to study English but I know that Leeds has a pretty great rep. for the subject, I just wondered why you dropped out? Are you re-applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyJ)
    Hiya,

I went the other way (Leeds to Manchester) to study English but I know that Leeds has a pretty great rep. for the subject, I just wondered why you dropped out? Are you re-applying?
    Yeah it as a great reputation, such a great uni etc. I dropped out of that course twice due to ill health, and then went to study Broadcast Journalism there as it was less intensive but it wasn't the right course for me. I'd love to reapply to Leeds again but it's been enough times now, time for pastures new. I am reapplying elsewhere though.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a school that was in special measures with a 10% pass rate of 5 A*-C's GCSE. We were literally on the bottom of the league table.

I'm at Manchester doing Law now. A few of my friends are Oxbridge rejects and are now at Durham etc.

My other friend grew up in a council house and actually got into UCL to study Law on results day. She rejected it to stay at home because she said she couldn't afford it despite the bursaries etc etc. We were all really shocked as in, WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've been to several crappy comprehensives, and I've somehow managed to get into a decent uni, and I know several people who are the same. I do agree fully that private/grammar school pupils have it easier though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    My Secondary school was in special measures by Ofsted, and at one point only 27% of students were getting 5 A-C grades. I am very proud to hold an offer from RHUL which averages at somewhere around 10 in the league tables for Psychology. I see myself as achieving in the same way as other people of my age (from all 'classes') however, I would still argue that my GCSEs would be miles better had I had a better Secondary school. I mean, when I'm older, if I ever have a child (god forbid) then it would be going to a private school, just so that I could make sure it had the most opportunity for high achievement, the kind of opportunity that I believe everyone deserves.
    Hi, good on you for your offer.

I know for an absolute fact that if my school was different I would have better GCSEs, better guidance to what to study at college, then I would have spread my A levels over two years as opposed to mostly one, took a gap year and then applied. I'm still proud of getting into Leeds etc, I just wish I hadn't crammed and stressed myself out to the point where I needed to drop out.

So I would not be in this predicament I am in now had I had a better education. And yeah if I ever have children also (which I doubt cos I can't even look after myself let alone a child) then I'll also send it to a decent school. I don't know if I would send it to private school as I want it to have a diverse, yet still decent, education, so I will send her/him to a well respected comprehensive instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris Ashby)
    It really does make me chukcle when all the rah's and the Hooray Henry's here who went to Eton, Westminster, Harrow etc, etc. show off about wonderful their school is because I always think to myself ''Your parents had to pay thousands of pounds to get you here and my parents didn't pay a penny for my schooling - I'm here on my own merit''
    Dude - are you stupid or what? You have to sit entrance exams to these schools and if you don't do well you don't get in! There are plenty of people who cannot afford the fees and many from poor backgrounds attain scholarships and bursaries, like me!

So if I want to be proud of the fact that I went to my school I can be!
    I got where I am through merit too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Hi, good on you for your offer.

I know for an absolute fact that if my school was different I would have better GCSEs, better guidance to what to study at college, then I would have spread my A levels over two years as opposed to mostly one, took a gap year and then applied. I'm still proud of getting into Leeds etc, I just wish I hadn't crammed and stressed myself out to the point where I needed to drop out.

So I would not be in this predicament I am in now had I had a better education. And yeah if I ever have children also (which I doubt cos I can't even look after myself let alone a child) then I'll also send it to a decent school. I don't know if I would send it to private school as I want it to have a diverse, yet still decent, education, so I will send her/him to a well respected comprehensive instead.
    Firstly thanks and congrats on doing well for yourself also.

But I'm not sure myself about private schooling either, I think diversity in education is HIGHLY important, I guess it's about finding a medium somewhere

I also wish I had been provided with better advice on what to take in college

x

ReputationRep:
    well i cme from a bad background school gets like 35% A*-c in gcse, got permanently excluded for being part of a group stealing school laptops , i then went to a different school also deprived but slightly better than the 1st. in the process of exclusion i got a warning by the police , got bailed out and was in a cell for like 5 hours an got pics taken , fingerprinted , dna sample setc.

i then went onto sixth form did pretty well at a-levels . and im now studying computer science at a top5/6 uni so its possible , i think it really was the permanent exclusion which made me re-evaluate my life so yh its definitely doable.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm not from a deprived background, I went to an awful school which had a 24% 5 A-C GCSE pass rate! I'm at a top 5 uni in london now, with a lot of ppl who went to poor schools too!

We laugh at the ppl here who went to top private schools! Their parents spent tens of thousands on their education...and they still didn't make it into OXBRIDGE!! Loool
    For this reason I'm totally against private schools. If the individual is determined enough then they will get straight A's in their a-levels regardless of the school!

ReputationRep:
    I have to say I don't buy into all this 'I didn't get into oxbridge because I'm from a disadvantaged background' crap. Is it easier to get into oxbridge from a top school? Absolutely. Is it impossible to get into oxbridge from a crap school? Absolutely not. The fact that there are people on here who went to failing comprehensives and got into oxbridge prove that. It certainly isn't easy, but if you have the motivation and ability it isn't out of reach. It's unbelievable what you can achieve when you put your mind to it, but the first thing to do is stop blaming circumstances and take responsibility for your own life.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.