Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know some uni's have Both Jan and september intakes.

How would you apply for JAN 2011 intake.

can someone tell me how it works.

ReputationRep:
    Some have March intakes too

You still have to apply via UCAS, unless the uni website says you can apply direct to the uni.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is ive applied via UCAS to university but for History,

Ive been thinking a lot and its finally hit me
    I want to do nursing.

What can I do?
    any chance I could start nursing in sept 2010 or will it be best to start in 2011 jan.

ReputationRep:
    Nursing is really competitive and places are really hard to get. You will have to completely rewrite ur PS so that it is about why you want to do nursing, any work experince you may have and you have to show relevant insight into the role of a nurse.

I think most unis offer places for the jan and march intakes at the same time as the sept, so you probably would have already had to apply for the nursing course already
    My advise would be contact a uni to talk to them about it.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Some have March intakes too

You still have to apply via UCAS, unless the uni website says you can apply direct to the uni.

The thing is ive applied via UCAS to university but for History and I have 5 offers.

I want to do nursing.

What can I do?
    any chance I could start nursing in sept 2010.
    or is it better to apply in sept 2010 for Jan 2011

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxrayxx)
    Nursing is really competitive and places are really hard to get. You will have to completely rewrite ur PS so that it is about why you want to do nursing, any work experince you may have and you have to show relevant insight into the role of a nurse.

I think most unis offer places for the jan and march intakes at the same time as the sept, so you probably would have already had to apply for the nursing course already
    My advise would be contact a uni to talk to them about it.

Good luck.
    so you mean i would have applied for it this time.
    i'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyness)
    The thing is ive applied via UCAS to university but for History and I have 5 offers.

I want to do nursing.

What can I do?
    You can still apply for Sept intake but I'm not sure if you can change you PS now, sorry I'm not much help there.

I know for March 2011 intake you apply from Sept 2010 onwards, I don't know if the application dates are the same for January or if you have to apply earlier.

Best to contact unis you're interested in for more information. Good luck with it.

ReputationRep:

I want to do nursing.

What can I do?

do you have any experience? You may like the idea of it. but the reality is far from it...!

ReputationRep:
    If you are SURE you want to be a nurse and want to start in Sept then just reject your offers instead of confirming them, then go through UCAS Extra or Clearing.
    Or you could do January depending on the uni... but beware, some unis don't have a January intake at all and many just have it for diploma, which they plan to get rid of in the next couple of years. When they take people depends on where you. Some for Jan 2011 would start taking people already, some will take them soon and some will start taking people in Sept/Oct 2010. Ring up and ask the places you want to go. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottielottie)
    If you are SURE you want to be a nurse and want to start in Sept then just reject your offers instead of confirming them, then go through UCAS Extra or Clearing.
    Or you could do January depending on the uni... but beware, some unis don't have a January intake at all and many just have it for diploma, which they plan to get rid of in the next couple of years. When they take people depends on where you. Some for Jan 2011 would start taking people already, some will take them soon and some will start taking people in Sept/Oct 2010. Ring up and ask the places you want to go. Good luck!
    Yes I am sure I want to do nursing.
    It's always been there in the back of my mind.
    But I always end up making the wrong decisions.
    If I go through UCAS Extra will this require a new personal statement or Clearing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    do you have any experience? You may like the idea of it. but the reality is far from it...!
    2 weeks work experience at local hospital.

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks work experience at local hospital.

...probably need a bit more than that!

What did you gain from it, learn, understand about the nurses role..

and why did you decide to do history and change your mind to nursing?!

ReputationRep:
    ...probably need a bit more than that!

What did you gain from it, learn, understand about the nurses role..

and why did you decide to do history and change your mind to nursing?!
    I'm really stressed out.
    I didn't sleep all night thinking about it.
    I'm already on a gap year, would it be better to re-apply in sept 2010. by then I can get more work experience, volunteer work, more re-search done. Is it possible to apply to for some uni's for jan/ march intake and some for sept 2011.
    It's really scary, I don't want to do a degree for three years which I don't enjoy, I know for SURE i will enjoy nursing.
    If I re-apply, I have my parents to deal with. arghhh
    I'm in tears.
    Nursing is competitive, how are the interviews.
    GCSE:
    2 GNVQS - distinction
    1 A*
    2 As
    4 Bs

A-level:
    History: C
    Biology:C
    Maths: C

If I have a good personal statement and I have done my re-search and prepared for interviews. How hard are they?
    I'm scared of getting rejected and getting NOWHERE again.

Life sucks for me

ReputationRep:
    I'm really stressed out.
    I didn't sleep all night thinking about it.
    I'm already on a gap year, would it be better to re-apply in sept 2010. by then I can get more work experience, volunteer work, more re-search done. Is it possible to apply to for some uni's for jan/ march intake and some for sept 2011.
    It's really scary, I don't want to do a degree for three years which I don't enjoy, I know for SURE i will enjoy nursing.
    If I re-apply, I have my parents to deal with. arghhh
    I'm in tears.
    Nursing is competitive, how are the interviews.
    GCSE:
    2 GNVQS - distinction
    1 A*
    2 As
    4 Bs

A-level:
    History: C
    Biology:C
    Maths: C

If I have a good personal statement and I have done my re-search and prepared for interviews. How hard are they?
    I'm scared of getting rejected and getting NOWHERE again.

Life sucks for me
    Firstly- why nursing, come on..tell me why, what have you learnt from the work experience

secondly- ignore your parents, this is your life and your decision, you're the one living it, not them

Finally- take a week out, think about it- and if you feel the same, go for it

ReputationRep:
    Firstly- why nursing, come on..tell me why, what have you learnt from the work experience

secondly- ignore your parents, this is your life and your decision, you're the one living it, not them

Finally- take a week out, think about it- and if you feel the same, go for it
    Nursing is hands on; I enjoy working with people directly. It’s challenging and there’s always something different every day. At my work experience I encountered so many different people which I took pleasure in. At the end of the day for me I know it’s the right career because when I imagine myself studying nursing I get a smile on my face. The course it’s self is 50% theory, 50% practical and I think I will thrive on this. It’s the best of both world’s, I love it because it’s so varied unlike my other choice history. Nursing itself is a stable career, I understand the difficulties of it, long hours, patients not co-operating but it’s all part of the job. At my work experience I had to feed the patients, ask what they wanted for Lunch and Dinner, hand out medicines its always pleasing to see smiles on their face and a thank you from them makes you realise why you volunteered ( in my case) or are in the profession.

From the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    Nursing is hands on; I enjoy working with people directly. It’s challenging and there’s always something different every day. At my work experience I encountered so many different people which I took pleasure in. At the end of the day for me I know it’s the right career because when I imagine myself studying nursing I get a smile on my face. The course it’s self is 50% theory, 50% practical and I think I will thrive on this. It’s the best of both world’s, I love it because it’s so varied unlike my other choice history. Nursing itself is a stable career, I understand the difficulties of it, long hours, patients not co-operating but it’s all part of the job. At my work experience I had to feed the patients, ask what they wanted for Lunch and Dinner, hand out medicines its always pleasing to see smiles on their face and a thank you from them makes you realise why you volunteered ( in my case) or are in the profession.

From the top of my head.

do you know thats illegal? Even i can't hand out medicines

ReputationRep:
    do you know thats illegal? Even i can't hand out medicines
    not to the patients:p:

take it from place to another.

ReputationRep:
    Which uni are you at?
    how hard was ur interview?
    I want to apply for Adult Nursing, and I know it's very competitive.
    How hard are the interviews?

ReputationRep:
    Which uni are you at?
    how hard was ur interview?
    I want to apply for Adult Nursing, and I know it's very competitive.
    How hard are the interviews?

who me?
    Nottingham...interview was alright, can't have been that hard or i wouldnt have gotten in. the questions are dependant on your own situation.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am sure I want to do nursing.
    It's always been there in the back of my mind.
    But I always end up making the wrong decisions.
    If I go through UCAS Extra will this require a new personal statement or Clearing?
    I don't know if it will let you write a new personal statement, cos when I went through clearing I'd filled one in for art but not actually sent it off! I didn't even have work experience for nursing (I'd been crapping myself about this but when I got there they asked who had experience and around 2/3 of the class didn't put their hands up!). I don't know what sort of university you are looking at; some new universities will take anyone on at clearing even if their personal statement does start "I have always been passionate about History..." but... I don't know. Just give it a try, good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.