Turn on thread page Beta

"Swedish parents keep 2-year-old's gender secret" watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people think the parents are cruel and isolating the child. If anyone has a problem with the child and whichever gender it gravitates towards then it's society and its gender-bound teachings who are to blame. Pop's parents aren't taking away anything from him/her but rather not providing the child with a preconceived way of thinking and being treated.

ReputationRep:
    Just shows how morally deprave Sweden has really got. It is clearly full to the brim with degenerate hippies.

ReputationRep:
    Most people in this thread seem to think it's 'cruel' for the child's gender to be kept private, since [strike]he'll grow up not knowing what the 'norm' is with regard to gender prejudices.

Could someone please explain how differences in gender are any more important or relevant than differences in race (assuming you're not all blinkered racists as well)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Gender is anything but a social construction. Primarily it has huge biological impacts, and any social conventions that have formed, did so largely because of that biology.
    Sex is a biological concept. Gender is a social construct founded on the basis of biological sex.

ReputationRep:
    Idiots...what's the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    Idiots...what's the point?
    The point, as far as I understand it, is to decouple sex from gender. To this end, the headline is rather misleading, as it should say "sex" rather than "gender".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMV)
    http://www.thelocal.se/20232/20090623

We disussed this in out lecture before (We're doing work on gender) and I was just woundering other peoples opinions on the story?
    Tbh they're fighting a losing battle, it won't work and is purely a publicity stunt imo. If they wanted to make a point about the way in which we view gender as a society they could have done it a bit more tastefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    Tbh they're fighting a losing battle, it won't work and is purely a publicity stunt imo. If they wanted to make a point about the way in which we view gender as a society they could have done it a bit more tastefully.
    What on earth is not tasteful about not wanting other people to know the sex of your child?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    Children can detect their own gender after a certain age. The exception is if they are told lies by their parents, which isn't really what these parents are trying to do at all. They're keeping things neutral currently to prevent social influence up to a certain age.
    I know. I don't have a problem with what they are doing. I think its more sensible than dressing girls in all pink and buying boys only masculine toys.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard about this couple. It's an interesting experiment in terms of bringing a child up - we do tend to stereotype kids from when they're very, very young - e.g. with things like colours, and the toys we buy them. This can either make kids think it's the norm, or they can rebel and hate it. Pop won't experience any of this. However, this can only last for so long, obviously... after some years we'll have to know his/her gender. But in the meantime it'll be interesting to see how this works out for the family.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think this has the potential of being quite damaging to the child. I am all for people rebelling against social norms when it is their decision and they are able to stand up for themselves. However, children who are different in some way are often not strong enough to cope with the stress it brings and it can cause long term insecurities. Children themselves gender stereotype and can be quite cruel to others that don't fit the stereotype. If all children of the same generation were brough up in a gender neutral way the 'experiment' might work but, in this instance, I can see potential difficulties for Pop.

ReputationRep:
    When I was 3 me and my friends often took our clothes off for no real reason. Even if I hadn't known I was a girl, if the friend I was with was a girl and I could see we had the same bits then I could work it out even at that age. Pop's should have worked out his/her gender by the age of 5.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand how this is supposed to work- isn't bringing the kid up purposefully keeping its gender a secret more or less the same as bringing it up as a gender? I mean deliberately choosing yellow clothes instead of pink or blue? And Pop is obviously going to know whether he/she is a boy or a girl by the time he/she gets past a certain age anyway so whats really the point?

ReputationRep:
    Bringing a child up without making its sex and gender the primary means of defining its interaction = "warping" it

Of course there's nothing "warped" or "warping" about doing the opposite no sir not at all uh-uh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbalina)
    I don't really understand how this is supposed to work- isn't bringing the kid up purposefully keeping its gender a secret more or less the same as bringing it up as a gender? I mean deliberately choosing yellow clothes instead of pink or blue? And Pop is obviously going to know whether he/she is a boy or a girl by the time he/she gets past a certain age anyway so whats really the point?
    They aren't hiding, or denying, Pop's gender from Pop or from their family. The point is to avoid social influences that come from knowing a child's gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MazalTov89)
    Reminds me of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer
    Yup, me to. Never fails to shock me that story, he had such a tragic life.

With the kid in question its not going to turn out well, even discounting the gender thing, what sort of a name is Pop? :rolleyes:

Likelihood is that the child will either be outcast from BOTH gender groups in school for not fitting into their patterns, and more thank likely be bullied as a result of it.

Not to mention the immense amount of gender identity confusion thats bound to hit them when they reach puberty, especially if they'd already started to identify with cross-gender behaviours.

Either way, it'll all end in therapy, poor child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    (Original post by opaltiger)
    What on earth is not tasteful about not wanting other people to know the sex of your child?

:ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    They aren't hiding, or denying, Pop's gender from Pop or from their family. The point is to avoid social influences that come from knowing a child's gender.
    I would have thought that that would be more damaging to the child than just bringing it up as a boy or a girl not that i know anything about bringing up kids!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJ555)
    Likelihood is that the child will either be outcast from BOTH gender groups in school for not fitting into their patterns, and more thank likely be bullied as a result of it.

Not to mention the immense amount of gender identity confusion thats bound to hit them when they reach puberty, especially if they'd already started to identify with cross-gender behaviours.

Either way, it'll all end in therapy, poor child.
    These sorts of reactions, I just find so weird. If I were that kid, I would be so proud to be the first child raised without gender bigotry. And all you can say is "oh well he might be bullied."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbalina)
    I would have thought that that would be more damaging to the child than just bringing it up as a boy or a girl not that i know anything about bringing up kids!
    I agree with them to an extent. For example when I was at a friend's there were a few kid's there and one was a boy of around 3, he picked up one of the girl's baby dolls and started playing with it. He was quite happy playing with it until someone noticed and took it off him and told him that it was a girl's toy and boys play with this and handed him a plastic truck (or something like that). The kid started crying and wanted the doll back but was told he couldn't play with it. Now what is the harm in a little boy playing with a doll if he wants to?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.