Turn on thread page Beta

"Swedish parents keep 2-year-old's gender secret" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Pop's parents aren't doing much different to what your parents, and many others, already do. Lots of girls would rather play with cars or action men and I presume you have no problem with this. Likewise, many little boys would rather play with dolls or play dress up, why not let them if they enjoy it? Pop's parents are not denying his/her sex, family members know Pop's sex, as does Pop, they are just letting Pop figure out what he/she likes, what toys he/she wants to play with and what type of clothes he/she wants to wear, rather than pushing Pop to fulfill ideas of what is expected to be normal to a common girl or boy.

What business is it of strangers whether Pop is a boy or a girl?
    I just don't understand why they have to hide his/her sex... First, it will come out later otherwise. Second, society should rather learn to accept free choice or will regardless of gender than be given no information about indentity. Stangers needn't to be interested in an unknown child but hell, is our gender something we should be ashamed of? It's not an intimacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    I just don't understand why they have to hide his/her sex... First, it will come out later otherwise. Second, society should rather learn to accept free choice or will regardless of gender than be given no information about indentity. Stangers needn't to be interested in an unknown child but hell, is our gender something we should be ashamed of? It's not an intimacy.
    Yes, society should learn to accept choices regardless of gender, but currently it doesn't. That's the point. Its not a case of making the child ashamed of its gender, its teaching it that it doesn't have to do something because thats what society expects of it and that the child has the choice to do something associated with its own gender, neither gender or opposite gender if it wants to.

While I wouldn't avoid telling people if my child was a boy or a girl I do see why they are doing it. For example if a little boy falls over in the playground and starts crying they're often told to be a big boy but if a little girl falls over she'll be kissed and cuddled. They want to avoid such situations where people treat the kid differently based on their sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Pop's parents aren't doing much different to what your parents, and many others, already do. Lots of girls would rather play with cars or action men and I presume you have no problem with this. Likewise, many little boys would rather play with dolls or play dress up, why not let them if they enjoy it? Pop's parents are not denying his/her sex, family members know Pop's sex, as does Pop, they are just letting Pop figure out what he/she likes, what toys he/she wants to play with and what type of clothes he/she wants to wear, rather than pushing Pop to fulfill ideas of what is expected to be normal to a common girl or boy.

What business is it of strangers whether Pop is a boy or a girl?
    If that is the case then what is this argument all about?

Everyone who Pop has a connection to knows what gender it is. And random strangers on the street don't? So what exactly is the point of all this?

The strangers don't have anything to do with Pop and those people who do know what gender it is can treat it any way they chose, even according to how they would normally treat a boy or a girl. So in reality this is all a mountain out of a molehill and a complete waste of time and energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlejumper)
    If that is the case then what is this argument all about?

Everyone who Pop has a connection to knows what gender it is. And random strangers on the street don't? So what exactly is the point of all this?

The strangers don't have anything to do with Pop and those people who do know what gender it is can treat it any way they chose, even according to how they would normally treat a boy or a girl. So in reality this is all a mountain out of a molehill and a complete waste of time and energy.
    Exactly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.