Turn on thread page Beta

Hmm I think Global Warming did this watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    Nothing wrong with faith schools. As long as they are not funded by the government, the state has no right to regulate what private schools can teach.
    Actually, I think they're fine being funded by the government. As long as they don't discriminate on religion (ie. allow anyone to attend no matter whether they're religious or not), follow the national curriculum AND do not incite racism/hatred/violence etc. (ie. homophobia) AND there should always be a completely secular school offered so that everybody has a choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Actually, I think they're fine being funded by the government. As long as they don't discriminate on religion (ie. allow anyone to attend no matter whether they're religious or not), follow the national curriculum AND do not incite racism/hatred/violence etc. (ie. homophobia) AND there should always be a completely secular school offered so that everybody has a choice.
    Why should the government fund something that can be provided better by the market? Why should they promote any religion at all? That's the key libertarian thought.

ReputationRep:
    Why should the government fund something that can be provided better by the market? Why should they promote any religion at all? That's the key libertarian thought.
    Everybody pays taxes. No one person's taxes are worth more than another's. And I don't see how it's 'promoting religion'. I just see it as a community's freedom to open a school if the religious community is big enough. The key libertarian thought here being their freedom to teach their children how they see fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    Pics of the new tires not amazing but it shows how much better they are compared to the others... they're 20mm wider

275/40/17 BFG Gforce Sports, night and day difference between the Michelin snow tires
    Nice! 275s! Bloody hell, they don't look that big! lol! That should get the power down nicely then!

How much did they cost you?

Looks like you have some serious toe in going on there...

ReputationRep:
    Everybody pays taxes. No one person's taxes are worth more than another's. And I don't see how it's 'promoting religion'. I just see it as a community's freedom to open a school if the religious community is big enough. The key libertarian thought here being their freedom to teach their children how they see fit.
    But by letting only private companies provide this education, you can lower taxes. And I'm afraid when the government funds and owns schools that teach a particular religious doctrine, they are promoting religion.

Of course they have the freedom to teach their children as they see fit - as long as it doesn't encroach on others (i.e. through taxes).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Nice! 275s! Bloody hell, they don't look that big! lol! That should get the power down nicely then!

How much did they cost you?

Looks like you have some serious toe in going on there...

That angle really does get you lol, there is no toe it's a solid rear axle.

They were £210 for the rear two mounted and balanced...

They are night and day against the old ones, ride better, handle better, and they get the water out from under better as well.

ReputationRep:
    But by letting only private companies provide this education, you can lower taxes. And I'm afraid when the government funds and owns schools that teach a particular religious doctrine, they are promoting religion.

Of course they have the freedom to teach their children as they see fit - as long as it doesn't encroach on others (i.e. through taxes)
    By letting only private companies provide ALL education you could 'lower taxes' even more, of course, instead of paying for schools through taxes, we'd be paying for schools privately...But we all know privitising the education sector would be crazy.

The government also 'funds and owns' secular schools. Does that mean they're also promoting non-religion at the same time as promoting religion? Either way, I don't much care for what somebody else thinks the 'government is promoting'.

Your point in bold: But the parents of the children in these schools are also paying taxes. Why should they have to pay for other schools through taxes, only to pay for the school they wish their child to go to privately? Are your saying their taxes are worse less then yours? I smell a bit of religious-discrimination. Hmm..

Either way, I'm not jewish, I'm not a muslim, I'm not a christian and I'm not an athiest. But if there's a religious community big enough in some area for them to want to want to send their children to a faith school, I say have at it, let them go nuts if they want. As long as I have the option to send my child to an entirely secular school, I don't care. Libertarianism.

ReputationRep:
    By letting only private companies provide ALL education you could 'lower taxes' even more, of course, instead of paying for schools through taxes, we'd be paying for schools privately...But we all know privitising the education sector would be crazy.
    Why not privatise the education sector entirely? It could be done.

The government also 'funds and owns' secular schools. Does that mean they're also promoting non-religion at the same time as promoting religion? Either way, I don't much care for what somebody else thinks the 'government is promoting'.
    You can't actively not promote something like religion in a secular school. Your argument basically is that if I go to buy a pint of milk, I am promoting secular non-religion - because I sure as hell am not promoting religion through my actions.

Your point in bold: But the parents of the children in these schools are also paying taxes. Why should they have to pay for other schools through taxes, only to pay for the school they wish their child to go to privately? Are your saying their taxes are worse less then yours? I smell a bit of religious-discrimination. Hmm..
    Which is why I think education should be privatised - the way it works now is that it discourages parents from sending children to very good private schools because they'd still pay their taxes anyway.

Either way, I'm not jewish, I'm not a muslim, I'm not a christian and I'm not an athiest. But if there's a religious community big enough in some area for them to want to want to send their children to a faith school, I say have at it, let them go nuts if they want. As long as I have the option to send my child to an entirely secular school, I don't care. Libertarianism.
    Of course. But these religious schools should not be funded by the government.

Libertarianism.

ReputationRep:
    Why not privatise the education sector entirely? It could be done.
    This would be an awful idea. If you want reasons why, look at the american health sector. Libertarianism has a lot to do with Liberalism. I.e. Equality. What about people who couldn't afford to go to school? Thousands wouldn't even have the opportunity, simply because they didn't have enough money.

You can't actively not promote something like religion in a secular school. Your argument basically is that if I go to buy a pint of milk, I am promoting secular non-religion - because I sure as hell am not promoting religion through my actions.
    I wasn't really trying to say that the government is 'promoting non-religion'. I just don't think the goverenment is 'promoting religion'. What does 'promoting religion' mean anyway. How can you 'promote religion'? This is like the argument far-right wingers use about 'promoting homosexuality' which we all know is rubbish.

Which is why I think education should be privatised - the way it works now is that it discourages parents from sending children to very good private schools because they'd still pay their taxes anyway.
    Look above to see why privitisation of the education sector would be about 5 leaps back for British Politics and a regression to somewhere back in the Elizabethan era.

Of course. But these religious schools should not be funded by the government.
    Erm...you kind of lacked an argument here and completely avoided my point. I'll repeat it.

Are your saying their taxes are worse less then yours? I smell a bit of religious-discrimination.

Either way, I'm not jewish, I'm not a muslim, I'm not a christian and I'm not an athiest. But if there's a religious community big enough in some area for them to want to want to send their children to a faith school, I say have at it, let them go nuts if they want. As long as I have the option to send my child to an entirely secular school, I don't care

Tell me WHY a community has less of a right to an education that they see fit than you do? Why is your vision of education correct over the freedom of someone else's to educate their child in their way?

Ughh...this just proves biggotry is a two way street.

Can you imagine if it were the other way round? If all faith schools were state funded and the religious were forcing the secular to pay for private education?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with faith schools. As long as they are not funded by the government, the state has no right to regulate what private schools can teach.
    Could become a problem when the private sector focuses on religious doctrine, to the detriment of other subjects. I doubt faith schools left to their own accord would be all that hot on evolution, big bang, etc.

If the education system fails to produce members of society whom are well rounded and attractive to employers, then the state (and therefore the rest of us) have to pick up the tab in the form of welfare.

Education is one of the few things I believe needs state regulation, as the people whose lives it has a direct impact on (i.e. the pupils) often cannot make an informed choice at such a young age. It's also likely to be influenced by parents and therefore not a free choice.

Speaking as a centre-right libertarian. Aside from a couple of things such as this, I'm all for free market and giving the state the middle finger.

Edit: How the hell did we get this off topic? I know we often go off on tangents in this forum, but this is impressive even by our standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Edit: How the hell did we get this off topic? I know we often go off on tangents in this forum, but this is impressive even by our standards.

Very much so :yes: I have to admit it's hilarious

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....subj=513891822

Lemme know if that works or not...

ReputationRep:

Video works and we're finally back on topic.

Impressive figures you're putting out there...although that was the loudest dyno recording ever!

I see you're doing a Biology degree as well - two interests we have in common.

ReputationRep:
    This would be an awful idea. If you want reasons why, look at the american health sector. Libertarianism has a lot to do with Liberalism. I.e. Equality. What about people who couldn't afford to go to school? Thousands wouldn't even have the opportunity, simply because they didn't have enough money.

I wasn't really trying to say that the government is 'promoting non-religion'. I just don't think the goverenment is 'promoting religion'. What does 'promoting religion' mean anyway. How can you 'promote religion'? This is like the argument far-right wingers use about 'promoting homosexuality' which we all know is rubbish.

Look above to see why privitisation of the education sector would be about 5 leaps back for British Politics and a regression to somewhere back in the Elizabethan era.

Erm...you kind of lacked an argument here and completely avoided my point. I'll repeat it.

Are your saying their taxes are worse less then yours? I smell a bit of religious-discrimination.

Either way, I'm not jewish, I'm not a muslim, I'm not a christian and I'm not an athiest. But if there's a religious community big enough in some area for them to want to want to send their children to a faith school, I say have at it, let them go nuts if they want. As long as I have the option to send my child to an entirely secular school, I don't care

Tell me WHY a community has less of a right to an education that they see fit than you do? Why is your vision of education correct over the freedom of someone else's to educate their child in their way?

Ughh...this just proves biggotry is a two way street.

Can you imagine if it were the other way round? If all faith schools were state funded and the religious were forcing the secular to pay for private education?
    You're not a libertarian - you're a liberal. Congratulations.

Libertarianism has nothing to do with equality, because we value liberty more. Through liberty (and the privatisation of most government services) comes equality. For those who can't afford it - they will be able to, because they are no longer paying taxes.

And what's all this "I smell religious discrimination" bull? "Tell me WHY a community has less of a right to an education that they see fit than you do? Why is your vision of education correct over the freedom of someone else's to educate their child in their way?" I never said that any community has any less or more of a right to an education than me. They are more than welcome to go to a private religious school, or start their own.

ReputationRep:

Ah V8 goodness! That is exactly what I needed to wake up to in the morning!

That exhaust note is lovely!

Very Nice! :borat:

PS Private School Vs State Vs Faith Vs any type of school = boring and completely pointless. And massively off topic.

ReputationRep:
    That angle really does get you lol, there is no toe it's a solid rear axle.

They were £210 for the rear two mounted and balanced...

They are night and day against the old ones, ride better, handle better, and they get the water out from under better as well.
    Oh right! It looks properly like there is a toe in! Why it is hard diagnosing problems with pictures and the internet, lol!

Cor! That is well cheap! I need to get 255/40/18 for my Jag, and they are going to cost about £250 each!

I love it when you get tyres that are like that, makes the expense almost justifiable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)

Impressive figures you're putting out there...although that was the loudest dyno recording ever!

Lol, I was **** at Biology, got a U at GCSE as the whole GCSE was on genetics and being clever I thought, well I can't work out Genetics so I will revise everything else...then the entire paper was on Genetics. Was not happy! My gamble really didn't pay off!

Chemistry and Physics though :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)

Yep it's putting out even more now 340-370, it's much much louder as well as I took out the cats, once I get some moor money I'll be getting some headers which will make it even more loud lol.

And I love bio and chem hell everything to do with science fascinates me, but then it should if I want to be a doctor

ReputationRep:
    Yep it's putting out even more now 340-370, it's much much louder as well as I took out the cats, once I get some moor money I'll be getting some headers which will make it even more loud lol.

And I love bio and chem hell everything to do with science fascinates me, but then it should if I want to be a doctor
    You should just put straight through, side exhausts on it, 4 each side, Drag car styleeee!

ReputationRep:
    I like the stock cat back, it sounds amazing, that and I'm no where near chav enough to put side pipes on a car like that...

ReputationRep:
    Haha! I am such a chav

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.