Turn on thread page Beta

Hmm I think Global Warming did this watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Haha! I am such a chav

Yes you are lol, either way, I don't plan on doing much more to the hawk.... Save all my money for that damn gtr... Freaking expensive crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    And massively off topic.
    What exactly is the topic in this thread, out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    What exactly is the topic in this thread, out of curiosity?

Snow on my car in a place that should never snow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    Snow on my car in a place that should never snow
    Ah, now I see why discussing degrees and political views and your tires and everything else is getting back on topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    You're not a libertarian - you're a liberal. Congratulations.

Libertarianism has nothing to do with equality, because we value liberty more. Through liberty (and the privatisation of most government services) comes equality. For those who can't afford it - they will be able to, because they are no longer paying taxes.

And what's all this "I smell religious discrimination" bull? "Tell me WHY a community has less of a right to an education that they see fit than you do? Why is your vision of education correct over the freedom of someone else's to educate their child in their way?" I never said that any community has any less or more of a right to an education than me. They are more than welcome to go to a private religious school, or start their own.
    You've completely evaded my point once again, so I'll make it one last time. Tell me why your vision of education is more important than that of someone who is religious in the form that your vision is allowed to be state funded and they have to pay taxes AND pay privately? Tell me why.

Privitising education would be the stupidest idea ever. If you want an even better idea why, start a thread saying 'Would it be a good idea to privitise education?' and just wait for the flood.

And I AM a libertarian as well as a Liberal. I'll post the definition.

"a political philosophy maintaining that all persons are the absolute owners of their own lives, and should be free to do whatever they wish with their persons or property, provided they allow others the same liberty
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/libertarianism"

You're right that I'm not Libertarian in the 'absolute owners' part, as I believe the tax system for education is fine as it is and if we were 'absolute owners' then we would be paying for our own children's education and not others.

The part of me that is a Libertarian says that they can raise their kid to worship the devil and eat pancakes 24/7 if they want. It's their child and they have the right to. As long as they follow a national curriculum, I'm not going say that 'their taxes are worth less so they have to pay for private education as wel as taxes and I'll enjoy all the state benefits I want'.

Not only is that religious discrimination, it's also highly non-libertarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    You've completely evaded my point once again, so I'll make it one last time. Tell me why your vision of education is more important than that of someone who is religious in the form that your vision is allowed to be state funded and they have to pay taxes AND pay privately? Tell me why.
    I have not evaded your point. I have said that there should be no paying of taxes whilst sending your child to a private school - and that is another reason to support privatisation of the education sector, because people who wish to send their children to private schools do not still have to pay their tax to fund schools that they will never use.

Privitising education would be the stupidest idea ever. If you want an even better idea why, start a thread saying 'Would it be a good idea to privitise education?' and just wait for the flood.
    Then I shall do that tomorrow.

And I AM a libertarian as well as a Liberal. I'll post the definition.

"a political philosophy maintaining that all persons are the absolute owners of their own lives, and should be free to do whatever they wish with their persons or property, provided they allow others the same liberty
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/libertarianism"
    I know what libertarianism is. :rolleyes: It does say there, "provided they allow others the same liberty" - meaning I wish to send my child to school - you should allow me to do so without extorting tax money from me.

You're right that I'm not Libertarian in the 'absolute owners' part, as I believe the tax system for education is fine as it is and if we were 'absolute owners' then we would be paying for our own children's education and not others.
    Exactly. We pay for only our own children because we have no reason to pay for anyone else. Taxation is theft. Libertarians object to taxation because it it the forceful stealing of money, something we do not accept in any other part of our lives.

Not only is that religious discrimination, it's also highly non-libertarian.
    So because I do not wish to fund a state monopoly over the education of children, I am "highly non-libertarian"? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm relatively new to the whole Libertarian idea, but jumpingjesusholycow I don't think you've fully thought all this through.

ReputationRep:
    Good god guys, take it to PMs...

ReputationRep:
    Back on topic, snow sucks

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.