Turn on thread page Beta

Being bothered to commute to jobs in central watch

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone else not be bothered to do this?
    The big jobs for graduates seem to be there, but driving in, paying congestion fee, and parking, and traffic, and early mornings, then stuck on motorway traffic,

i just kind of bypassed London jobs even though I live about half an Hour away from London.

am I being stupid?

because I think if I did take a up a job I might end up quiting or getting fired for being late or something

ReputationRep:
    Well, there are people who commute every day from different parts of Kent or Sussex, for instance, and that might even take them about an hour! So I guess you just need to get used to the fact that your ideal job might not be a stone's throw from your doorstep!

ReputationRep:
    Go live in Ashford or Ebbsfleet in Kent?

The high speed line to St. Pancras runs through there, taking 37 minutes from Ashford to London.

Where you want to live will not always coincide with where you want to work

ReputationRep:
    i no its annoying but something your going to get use to

i no someone who has to commute from reading to london

ReputationRep:
    You could move to London?

In my industry, about 95% of jobs are in the big cities (London in UK, NYC in USA) so I have almost no choice but to live in one of these cities or commute. Which is absolutely fine with me (living in London I mean, not commuting), but my annoying boyfriend refuses to move to London. :rolleyes:

I'm commuting 1hr40 minutes to university at the mo.

(Original post by sergioib)
    Well, there are people who commute every day from different parts of Kent or Sussex, for instance, and that might even take them about an hour!
    An hour? Try two-ish.

You could easily live in London and commute an hour to work in London.

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving to London for my training contract - I wasn't offered one anywhere else so I didn't have much choice!

ReputationRep:
    My lecturer commutes from Brighton to Central London every day, and she says it's no problem. If I get the job I interviewed for the other day I'll be commuting, and using public transport it's only about an hour of hassle free travel. If either of us drove though it'd be far worse.

Just use public transport!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    My lecturer commutes from Brighton to Central London every day, and she says it's no problem. If I get the job I interviewed for the other day I'll be commuting, and using public transport it's only about an hour of hassle free travel. If either of us drove though it'd be far worse.

Just use public transport!
    Seriously??? I commute from Brighton to London and it's absolutely hellish.

She obviously doesn't use First Capital Connect...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Seriously??? I commute from Brighton to London and it's absolutely hellish.

She obviously doesn't use First Capital Connect...
    She said it was pretty bad in the snow, but otherwise fine apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    She said it was pretty bad in the snow, but otherwise fine apparently.
    Hmmm. She sounds like a very positive person.

They have the worst customer service rating of any rail network in the country (and that was before the situation with the industrial action and the snow). At rush hour, you get packed in the train like sardines. Fortunately I don't usually have to travel at rush hours.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Personally I would never work in London for that reason. If work isn't within walking distance I'm not really interested. By walking distance I mean up to an hour walking.

ReputationRep:
    The manager of Recruitment at my Placement Company travels from Brighton to London everyday. He enjoys it and makes a lot of money at work. Best of both worlds I guest.

ReputationRep:
    Public transport is your friend..yearly/seasonal travel passes do actually work out rather cheap.

My neighbor commutes from Bournemouth to central London 4 - 5 days a week, though I do think that's a bit too far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    You could easily live in London and commute an hour to work in London.
    Yes, you don't realise this when you commute in from outside. I used to moan to my colleagues about my 2 1/4 hour commute from Oxford - until I discovered that one had a 1 3/4 hour commute from zone 5! And that was mostly on buses and the tube - at least I got an hour in a comfortable seat with legroom, the opportunity for a nap, and tea and coffee available.

ReputationRep:
    interesting, i guess it just depends on will power etc, I also assume i would be much more inclined to work in central as my expected salary increases, thanks

ReputationRep:
    You could always live in centrl london. A commute is annoying but 45mins is fine for most people and many people do far more than that.

Or you can get a 'London job' out of London. I love my London Living Allowance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You could always live in centrl london. A commute is annoying but 45mins is fine for most people and many people do far more than that.

Or you can get a 'London job' out of London. I love my London Living Allowance

Very interesting, London Job out of London, that involves working from home right? Or does it mean a job just on the London boundary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_stranger)
    Very interesting, London Job out of London, that involves working from home right? Or does it mean a job just on the London boundary?
    No I meant get the job you would have got in London but elsewhere. You haven't said what you want to do though. Most consultancies have pratices out of London for example.

ReputationRep:
    i live in zone 4 in south london, and getting to say canary wharf takes me close to an hour

unless you live in central, travelling is long for everyone

just catch the train and make sure you grab a metro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    Personally I would never work in London for that reason. If work isn't within walking distance I'm not really interested. By walking distance I mean up to an hour walking.
    or sit on the train for up to an hour

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.