Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm looking to study film studies at uni next year and i'm splitting many a hair on deciding between brighton northumbria or brunel.
    INPUT PLEEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEE!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to Brunel. I used to live near there. The location is horrible- right next to a mortuary :-S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by betheliza)
    Don't go to Brunel. I used to live near there. The location is horrible- right next to a mortuary :-S

How stupid is this? You can barely see the mortuary from the uni - I didn't even realise it existed until someone pointed it out to me several months after I started there. It has nothing on QMUL, which has a graveyard on campus. Why on earth should someone disregard a uni because there's a mortuary nearby, which, I might add, affects the uni in absolutely no way? You should consider a uni on the courses it offers, the teaching it offers, the location in general )which, in the case of Uxbridge, is pretty uninspiring, but is nice enough, pretty cheap for London and pretty safe) and the general suitability for your needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbennett139)
    i'm looking to study film studies at uni next year and i'm splitting many a hair on deciding between brighton northumbria or brunel.
    INPUT PLEEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEE!!!!!!
    I'd say go for Northumbria. I'm from the north, and although i don't know what the university's reputation is like in the south, i'd say that up here Northumbria is developing a very good reputation and getting a place there is becoming quite competitive. Newcastle would be a great place to live...i live an hour or so away and go there quite a lot because the shopping and nightlife are so good.

What a stupid thing to say. How retarded are you? Brunel is situated near a mortuary but that is a tiny building across the road from the far-side of campus. It's certainly not something I would say detracts from the University. The location is not horrible it's actually very good for a campus University. 10 minute bus ride to the tube, 10 minutes to West Drayton station, 10 minutes to Tesco and Sainsburys, a 15 minute walk from the Grand Union Canal and the countryside.

I love Brunel, I think it's an excellent place to go to University. Saying that it's not to everyone's tastes, it's very multicultural, it's not overly political and it's a very modern campus. If you have any questions, OP, about Brunel then ask away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    What a stupid thing to say. How retarded are you? Brunel is situated near a mortuary but that is a tiny building across the road from the far-side of campus. It's certainly not something I would say detracts from the University. The location is not horrible it's actually very good for a campus University. 10 minute bus ride to the tube, 10 minutes to West Drayton station, 10 minutes to Tesco and Sainsburys, a 15 minute walk from the Grand Union Canal and the countryside.

I love Brunel, I think it's an excellent place to go to University. Saying that it's not to everyone's tastes, it's very multicultural, it's not overly political and it's a very modern campus. If you have any questions, OP, about Brunel then ask away.
    I'm not retarded. I went to St Andrews, which would trump Brunel any day. Anyway, I resent that term as I work with differently-abled children. It is highly offensive.

I am entitled to my opinion about Brunel and was purely pointing out something that I found really off-putting about the place.

If you like it, fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not retarded. I went to St Andrews, which would trump Brunel any day. Anyway, I resent that term as I work with differently-abled children. It is highly offensive.

I am entitled to my opinion about Brunel and was purely pointing out something that I found really off-putting about the place.

If you like it, fine.

It was probably meant to be offensive. You have absolutely no experience of the university itself and you come on here and tell people not to go to it because there's a mortuary nearby? That really is completely stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    It was probably meant to be offensive. You have absolutely no experience of the university itself and you come on here and tell people not to go to it because there's a mortuary nearby? That really is completely stupid.
    I didn't mean offensive to me in particular. Rather it is an offensive term to millions of people, when used incorrectly.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean offensive to me in particular. Rather it is an offensive term to millions of people, when used incorrectly.

Oh gawd, let's not get started on this overly PC sillyness.

If you like it, fine.
    If a "differently-abled" person has a problem with me using the term retarded then despite them being "differently-abled" they would be able to tell me, they don't need people like you to stick up for them least of all to say what is and is not offensive. My disabled friend actually thinks the term "differently-abled" is incredibly patronising and uses the word retarded all the time.

You are the reason why everyone thinks people who go to St Andrew's are snobs. Just because it's better in the ratings it doesn't make you a better or more intelligent person.

I don't think you actually are entitled to an opinion about Brunel if it's going to be so stupid and, yes, retarded. The mortuary in question is such an innocuous building I don't see how it could bother anyone. Most people on campus never walk past it anyway because it's at the other end from the lecture centre. Brunel is an excellent middle-of-the-road university is a great location and if you are discouraging people from going there because of a small, single story building not even on campus then you are a retard.

I really hope you have fun at St Andrew's which, so I hear from this forum, is in absolutely god-awful location miles away from anywhere. Maybe they'll help you "dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today". Twit.

ReputationRep:
    awesome! much thanks people. i actually went to brunel today and the uni actually looks pretty awesome but i can see why people wouldn't like it, being in a bit of a bubble and all, but it looked quite cool.
    it's either that or brighton now really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    If a "differently-abled" person has a problem with me using the term retarded then despite them being "differently-abled" they would be able to tell me, they don't need people like you to stick up for them least of all to say what is and is not offensive. My disabled friend actually thinks the term "differently-abled" is incredibly patronising and uses the word retarded all the time.

You are the reason why everyone thinks people who go to St Andrew's are snobs. Just because it's better in the ratings it doesn't make you a better or more intelligent person.

I don't think you actually are entitled to an opinion about Brunel if it's going to be so stupid and, yes, retarded. The mortuary in question is such an innocuous building I don't see how it could bother anyone. Most people on campus never walk past it anyway because it's at the other end from the lecture centre. Brunel is an excellent middle-of-the-road university is a great location and if you are discouraging people from going there because of a small, single story building not even on campus then you are a retard.

I really hope you have fun at St Andrew's which, so I hear from this forum, is in absolutely god-awful location miles away from anywhere. Maybe they'll help you "dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today". Twit.
    betheliza, you just got shut down.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.