Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have recieved an offer from canterbury christ church for PE and sport science, and was wondering if any current students on this course or just in general, could give me the pros and cons of the uni and/or course? I am going to attend a visit day next month but was just wondering on other people's opinion as well
    feel free to reply and please be honest, good or bad.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    They've got a bloody good hockey team I can say that much!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, but i dont actually play hockey lol, footballs more my game

ReputationRep:
    Administration is very poor, with personal experience of:
    lecture rooms often double-booked or in inappropriate classes (too few seats)
    paperwork (assignments, queries) returned late
    incorrect grades recorded on transcripts (returned for correction four times so far)

Individual lecturers good and bad, but no recourse for poor teaching.
    Student complaints glossed over.

Good points include a stunning new library, individuals (rather than departments) that go beyond the call of duty and a growing rep for research output (which impacts on the teaching).

I guess this is probably similar to other uni's, but as CCCU is growing so fast it sometimes seems to outstrip its own ability to consider the individual. Good luck, hope this helps. SP

ReputationRep:
    If you're end goal is to become a teacher then it would be a good move, as CCCU is a very good teacher training uni. However, if you do not want to teach, but do want to stay in the Sport Science field I would strongly suggest looking at a university with a specific reputation for Sport courses, e.g. Bath, Loughborough etc and not going to a university offering them largely to attract more students[money].

ReputationRep:
    I can only offer an overview of the uni itself as im doing a different course to the one in question. Im in my first year and so far what I've seen has been great. When i started i had low expectations of the uni itself due to the low score it receives on the rankings, but since ive realized that this is due to the fact that its a new university and is working its way up there. Its true that christ church is very good for teaching and there is an overwhelming number of student taking primary education. The university has a stunning new library just off campus which in my opinion is great. Can get so much work done, and you can just borrow a laptop from there and wander round because the whole place has wireless. Im taking BSc Psychology and the quality of the lectures and lecturers is way way above what i expected and overall a very high standard. My GF goes to kent uni also studying psychology and although thats one of the top universitys in the country for the course, the differences are minimal.

Hope this helped

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.