Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How competitive is an maths+economics degree watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would hopefully like to do a Maths+Economics degree at the following universities:

UCL
    Nottingham
    Loughborough
    Birmingham
    Bristol
    Bath

I got A*AABBBBCD in my Gcses so, not spectacular I got the C&D in English but I am going to retake may get an A/A* in both as I have already started revising properly for it. I am doing Pure maths, Further maths, Economics and biology. I will probably get an AAAC for my as levels.

For me where would i stand when i apply for these universities?

Thanks for any feedback.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why do you feel you will get a C for A level? id expect you to have a good chance at getting offers for all those unis apart from UCL which may prove harder. I think its more important that you focus on your studies right now then when you results come in you start deciding on what unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Why do you feel you will get a C for A level? id expect you to have a good chance at getting offers for all those unis apart from UCL which may prove harder. I think its more important that you focus on your studies right now then when you results come in you start deciding on what unis.
    I had a bad day on my unit 1 in biology and would prefer not to retake if i could still get a C/B. Thanks for the feedback.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by puma21)
    I had a bad day on my unit 1 in biology and would prefer not to retake if i could still get a C/B. Thanks for the feedback.
    Well that would certainly be a weakness in your application, maybe you should retake it to at least get a B overall, that C may make UCL beyond reach.

ReputationRep:
    I would hopefully like to do a Maths+Economics degree at the following universities:

UCL
    Nottingham
    Loughborough
    Birmingham
    Bristol
    Bath

I got A*AABBBBCD in my Gcses so, not spectacular I got the C&D in English but I am going to retake may get an A/A* in both as I have already started revising properly for it. I am doing Pure maths, Further maths, Economics and biology. I will probably get an AAAC for my as levels.

Have you thought about STEP/AEA?
    i.e. Warwick make offers to 'all' M+E applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    First time I have heard of it. I Just checked it out, so all I have to do is score high in that and I am in? aswell as personal statemant intverview.

ReputationRep:
    First time I have heard of it. I Just checked it out, so all I have to do is score high in that and I am in? aswell as personal statemant intverview.
    Well there is no interview for M+E.
    But yes...

ReputationRep:

UCL
    Nottingham
    Loughborough
    Birmingham
    Bristol
    Bath

UCL - Rejection
    Nottingham - Don't know. ( More likely a rejection)
    Loughborough - Offer
    Birmingham - Offer
    Bristol - Rejection
    Bath - Probs Rejection

ReputationRep:
    I forgot in another post of yours you said you wouldn't reccommend Warwick if you only do 3 A2's. Does that still apply if i did STEP/AEA.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot in another post of yours you said you wouldn't reccommend Warwick if you only do 3 A2's. Does that still apply if i did STEP/AEA.
    Not sure what post that was but I suspect that I was referring to straight economics not M+E.

We make a standard offer to almost all applicants with A and AS-Level qualifications, and this is explained below.
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/ma...ions/ug/offer/

M+E course is run by the Maths department. And has the standard Maths offer.
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/ma...ns/ug/courses/

This is the M+E offer:
    Standard Offers for Admission in September 2010
    Offer 1: A(M) A(FM) A 2
    Offer 2: A*(M) a(FM) A A 2
    2 denotes grade 2 in a Maths STEP or Merit in a Maths AEA paper.
    (M) (FM) denote Mathematics and Further Mathematics.
    UPPER/lower case letters denote grades in A/AS-level.
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/ma...sions/ug/offer

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what post that was but I suspect that I was referring to straight economics not M+E.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/ma...ions/ug/offer/

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/ma...ns/ug/courses/

This is the M+E offer:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/ma...sions/ug/offer
    Thank you very much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.