Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else see Panoroma tonight? Another obvious example of poverty causing ripped apart societies to be hot beds of crime, violence, drugs and murder. How much longer will those in sheltered lifestyles deny this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/4708599.stm

ReputationRep:
    The link is their
    'there', dear :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god! Now I'm worried about my English Language A Level result! I can only say it's been a busy day and it's 1 am!

Can I change it? Or can someone do it for me?

ReputationRep:
    In reply to the original post I didn't see the show, but disagree that poverty necessarliy causes young people to be violent. i believe this show probably took a few extreme examples and tried to portray these youths as regular poor folk.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry didn't see it, I was watching the Pelican Brief, which was an AMAZING movie.

ReputationRep:
    i believe this show probably took a few extreme examples and tried to portray these youths as regular poor folk.
    Over half the many inmates they talked to came from broken homes. All had grown up in povert-caused bad environments. All were working class. Most hadn't finished school. The wider estates where they were from had higher levels of crime, especially violent crime and these were all poor estates.

ReputationRep:
    [EDIT]An impoverished childhood explains this:

'The punishment for disrespect can be severe. When someone conned his friend out of eighty pounds, the gang subjected the victim to sixteen hours of torture.'
    (From the profile of Carl Holmes)?

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe justification comes into it. It's explanation I'm interested in. If we don't accept the reasons behind this, then how can we hope to cure it?

ReputationRep:
    Why when someone tries to explain why something happens it immediately means they are justifying it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Anyone else see Panoroma tonight? Another obvious example of poverty causing ripped apart societies to be hot beds of crime, violence, drugs and murder. How much longer will those in sheltered lifestyles deny this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/4708599.stm
    Have you ever considered the possibility that you got the causation chain wrong and that crime causes poverty and not the other way around?

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever considered the possibility that you got the causation chain wrong and that crime causes poverty and not the other way around?
    Expand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Expand.
    Think about it. What happens in relatively peaceful (and prosperous) neighborhoods that become crime-ridden? You have gangs, drug dealers, and crimes of revenge. Then the culture of the neighborhood changes. Crime becomes fashionable; the use of drugs commonplace; getting an education becomes "uncool". The kids in the neighborhood eventually absorb this culture and become criminals themselves. It's rather obvious that people like that won't be rich, and given their lack of an education, they (and their offspring) will be poor. Why do you think relatively prosperous countries that are hit by civil wars become poor? It's not just the physical destruction of the country; it's the culture this breeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Think about it. What happens in relatively peaceful (and prosperous) neighborhoods that become crime-ridden? You have gangs, drug dealers, and crimes of revenge. Then the culture of the neighborhood changes. Crime becomes fashionable; the use of drugs commonplace; getting an education becomes "uncool". The kids in the neighborhood eventually absorb this culture and become criminals themselves. It's rather obvious that people like that won't be rich, and given their lack of an education, they (and their offspring) will be poor. Why do you think relatively prosperous countries that are hit by civil wars become poor? It's not just the physical destruction of the country; it's the culture this breeds.
    Think about it...why would they become crime-ridden? I don't know about you but I haven't seen any area of middle or upper class people being full of gangs, drugs, prostitutes etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Think about it...why would they become crime-ridden? I don't know about you but I haven't seen any area of middle or upper class people being full of gangs, drugs, prostitutes etc...
    Bismarck wasn't disputing the link, he was disputing what caused the other. If that neighbourhood has neither poverty or crime, how can either idea be observed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    That's because areas that become full of gangs, drugs, and prostitutes, don't remain prosperous for long. And there are quite a few upper class neighrborhoods here that are full of drugs and (expensive) prostitutes...

ReputationRep:
    There is definetly a link. Thats not to say all poor people committ crime or that richer people don't but its disproportionatly the poorest sections of society that make up the prison population. This is even more the case inn the USA; 1 in 3 black men will go to prison; this raises other important questions such as are the police just better at convicting poorer people.

Areas in poverty also have worst schools and this also makes the problem worse as people don't get teh sckills they need whether because of poor discipline, disillusionment etc.

You can't fight crime without fighting the causes (oh dear i sound like Blair!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    are the police just better at convicting poorer people.
    Yep they probably are, the richer you are, the better the lawyer you can afford.

You can't fight crime without fighting the causes (oh dear i sound like Blair!)
    Nothing wrong with that! Blair knows that poverty causes crime, and that's why Labour is tackling it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Yep they probably are, the richer you are, the better the lawyer you can afford.

Nothing wrong with that! Blair knows that poverty causes crime, and that's why Labour is tackling it.
    Of course there is nothing wrong with sounding like our wonderful leader !
    I know we're tackling crime and the causes but sometime I fear we are too tough on crime and not enough on the causes.

ReputationRep:
    It is not just poverty that des this. Monks take vows of poverty and they are not notorious for crime, violence, drugs or murder [except of heretics and infidels]. The assumptions of the society we live in are also connected.

ReputationRep:
    As Weej says, we can't look only to poverty, not material poverty anyway.

There was a large study of the Chinese in San Fransisco in the sixties which found that even though they were the poorest people in the city, they were also the least criminal.

In Britain, lefty criminologist Jock Young found that even as real disposable income per capita had increased by 64% between 1951 and 1971, the crime rate had increased by 172%. Consider the cultural changes which happened in Britain during those two decades.

Poverty of society and poverty of moral concensus lead to crime. The sink estates simply have more of both--they do not have material poverty.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.