Turn on thread page Beta

Student Insurance VW Golf watch

ReputationRep:
    I am 17 in a month and of course want a car. Does anyone know how much would be the cheapest i could find for a 1.0 litre Volkswagen Golf?

ReputationRep:
    Have a look through the comparison websites for a general guide price.

ReputationRep:
    Estimates are difficult as it can depend on a variety of things such as your postcode, estimated mileage, where your car will be parked during the day/evening and the age/value of the car.

I would not recommend insuring under a parent as an additional driver as insurance companies are well within their right to claim your insurance invalid should you be involved in an accident, they are under no obligation to pay out should they prove you are in fact the main driver, which knowing insurance companies they will, you may get stuck with a very large claim that you will have to pay for. Adding a parent as an additional driver however will reduce your premium slightly as would completing a pass plus course (albeit with only a few insurance companies)

ReputationRep:
    A 1.0 Golf? What the hell?

I always enjoy these threads - not only do the posters ask a question they could find the answer for themselves quite easily and expect everyone else to do the work for them but they also provide the tiniest snippet of information and think people are going to pull an insurance quote out of nowhere.

Parker's has an entry for a 84-92 1.0 Golf but no real information on it. I can't imagine an 80s 1.0 in a Golf being a pleasant experience at all, especially given that the 1.3 is only 55bhp. It'll barely move to the point of being dangerous at junctions and incapable of any overtaking (get stuck behind a tractor on a country road for example and you'll be staying there).
    Quite sensibly they didn't make any more less than 1.4 until the very latest model.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O_RLY?)
    A 1.0 Golf? What the hell?

whats wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King CalZ)
    whats wrong with that?
    1) Are there really any left on the road?
    2) It's slow as ****
    3) Really? A 1.0 golf? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O_RLY?)
    1) Are there really any left on the road?
    2) It's slow as ****
    3) Really? A 1.0 golf? :eek3:

Maybe not. I think i have got them mixed up with something similar. I was looking on autotrader today now i cant find it. Sorry my mistake.

What would you recommend for a first car?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not. I think i have got them mixed up with something similar. I was looking on autotrader today now i cant find it. Sorry my mistake.

What would you recommend for a first car?
    Depends on your budget tbh.

Go for a 1.0-1.4L supermini (Fiesta, Corsa, Polo, Yaris etc), I know everyone has one, but it's really all you can go for.

Insurance is likely to be an absolute pain no matter what you go for, so use a comparison site such as gocompare.com and type the reg of the car you're after to see how expensive it is to insure.

I would expect that you would need approx £4000 to buy and insure a 10 year old supermini.

ReputationRep:
    Shame on the lack of effort for the OP.

ReputationRep:
    whats wrong with that?
    What's right with it?

I'll be the first to stick my neck out and say it never went down to a 1000cc. The lowest in the last 3 marks was a 1.4 litre. In Mark 1 guise, you may have had possibly lower, but never 1000cc?!

Prove me wrong.

Anyway - if one did actually exist (with a VW Golf engine), then you'd be nuts as it would take about 17 years to get to 60mph.

It's listed on Parker's that there was a 1.0 version of the eighties model.

OP was probably thinking of a Polo.

ReputationRep:
    My mistake actually meant a polo. I dont know why i got it mixed up. Sorry.

DJW - I love posters who dont actually provide any help, just a smart arse comment that means nothing. Thanks for that.

I know i could of found out myself but those insurance websites takes ages to complete and i wanted to know if anyone had a car like it and insured it and how much.

ReputationRep:
    Really you can't avoid filling in the insurance websites over and over again, and I wouldn't rely on price comparison websites either - I found that most of the best quotes could be found by going direct to people like Churchill and Direct Line.

I can't count how many times I filled in those forms when I was finding a car... I would do some test quotes to find cars that would be reasonable... find matches for those cars on Autotrader... check for quotes of those exact cars (using number plate if possible)... etc etc, until I had a good idea of what it would cost me. By the end of it I'd seen enough quotes that I could pull up any variant of the 2004-2007 Astra H on Autotrader and guess exactly what the quote would be :p:

The premiums depend on a very wide variety of factors including where you live, where the car will be kept, etc, and so other peoples' insurance quotes can only be used as a rough guide.

ReputationRep:
    Those Polos are pretty slow, but you could get yourself a 1.0 Nissan Micra, although I think you'd be looking at £1500 at least to insure it in your first year. There is also a 1.3 Nissan Micra which would be an altogether more satisfying drive, and wouldn't cost drastically more to insure.
    Thing about the Nissans is that they don't have the young person's appeal, which results in cheaper insurance compared to say a Citroen Saxo. Nissans are also well made. The VW Polo is a good car, but it won't be quick at all. The little Micra is quicker. You could do what I did and wait for 2 years, then get yourself a nice car. I can now afford to drive a 2.2td Nissan Primera 52reg for less than £1500 a year.

BTW you could do worse than try Endsleigh insurance for their six months policy where you are awarded a years no claims after 6 months, providing you don't crash, but you must take out your next year of insurance with them.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 56 plate Seat Ibiza (so the old shape), its a 1.2 and petrol, Churchill are charging me £1335 currently on provisional and say it will be the same for a full license too. I'm female, 18 and live in Lincolnshire by the way if it means much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinsley)
    I have a 56 plate Seat Ibiza (so the old shape), its a 1.2 and petrol, Churchill are charging me £1335 currently on provisional and say it will be the same for a full license too. I'm female, 18 and live in Lincolnshire by the way if it means much!
    Luck girl! That's a pretty new car

That's not a bad quote I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jah2411)
    Luck girl! That's a pretty new car

That's not a bad quote I don't think.
    I love it :o: Was very lucky to get it for the price I did, the garage do pretty highly priced cars and wanted shot to free up a space for the other cars they sell, it was a trade in

Churchill seem really good for insurance from what I have found, Direct Line, Zurich, Quinn Direct, Thames Valley etc were all £1500-2100

ETA: I got much better quotes when I phoned companies up too, but it was a pain. I used the registration number of a car I liked from Ebay to get the quotes as its quicker than typing in car model, does it have immobiliser and all that jazz! Seats are meant to be a VW in disguise, just a cheaper finish, but my local VW garage are going to do the work if it needs any and say it is just like a polo but being a petrol has a bit more oomph in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinsley)
    I love it :o: Was very lucky to get it for the price I did, the garage do pretty highly priced cars and wanted shot to free up a space for the other cars they sell, it was a trade in

Churchill seem really good for insurance from what I have found, Direct Line, Zurich, Quinn Direct, Thames Valley etc were all £1500-2100
    I got mine for £2300, old man's car, suits me down to the ground... not really lol but it's nice to drive. I'm not sure what I'm paying, I think it's £700 for six months with Endsleigh, but I'm 19.

i got a 1.4 VW polo
    insurance comes to £850 with aviva

i'd reccomend a low engine size definitely 2nd hand car otherwise insurance is just toooo much

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.