Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student Insurance VW Golf watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinsley)
    I love it :o: Was very lucky to get it for the price I did, the garage do pretty highly priced cars and wanted shot to free up a space for the other cars they sell, it was a trade in

Churchill seem really good for insurance from what I have found, Direct Line, Zurich, Quinn Direct, Thames Valley etc were all £1500-2100

ETA: I got much better quotes when I phoned companies up too, but it was a pain. I used the registration number of a car I liked from Ebay to get the quotes as its quicker than typing in car model, does it have immobiliser and all that jazz! Seats are meant to be a VW in disguise, just a cheaper finish, but my local VW garage are going to do the work if it needs any and say it is just like a polo but being a petrol has a bit more oomph in it?
    I know what you mean, I used reg numbers from cars I was after to get quick quotes. Did it on moneysupermarket.com, and Endsleigh were the cheapest, but when I went on the Endsleigh site, the price was even lower because I could say that I held my license for 1yr6mnths rather than having to round down like I did on moneysupermarket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jah2411)
    I know what you mean, I used reg numbers from cars I was after to get quick quotes. Did it on moneysupermarket.com, and Endsleigh were the cheapest, but when I went on the Endsleigh site, the price was even lower because I could say that I held my license for 1yr6mnths rather than having to round down like I did on moneysupermarket.
    :yes:

I wont say what I paid for mine as everyone would say I'm stupid, but I will keep it at my Mum's when at uni and probably keep it until I'm out the other side of uni if I get in, so hopefully it will last! It only has 29,000 on the clock, I really like it though, didn't want a corsa as all my friends have been having problems with theirs..!

I really like Seats, definitely pleased with it.

I never really looked at Endsleigh, can't remember why. The search engines can be a pain though as I got some really expensive quotes from them compared to when I rang up individual companies.

My Mum is with Aviva, she is going not going to renew and go with Churchill (she has a 08 VW Golf TDI, 1.9 I think?), they were charging me £1,056 on provisional on it, which I suppose isn't too bad, but I don't think they liked me on gocompare AXA wont insure young drivers either but they are meant to be really good.

ReputationRep:
    :yes:

I wont say what I paid for mine as everyone would say I'm stupid, but I will keep it at my Mum's when at uni and probably keep it until I'm out the other side of uni if I get in, so hopefully it will last! It only has 29,000 on the clock, I really like it though, didn't want a corsa as all my friends have been having problems with theirs..!

I really like Seats, definitely pleased with it.

I never really looked at Endsleigh, can't remember why. The search engines can be a pain though as I got some really expensive quotes from them compared to when I rang up individual companies.

My Mum is with Aviva, she is going not going to renew and go with Churchill (she has a 08 VW Golf TDI, 1.9 I think?), they were charging me £1,056 on provisional on it, which I suppose isn't too bad, but I don't think they liked me on gocompare AXA wont insure young drivers either but they are meant to be really good.
    OOHH 1.9 Golf, I wouldn't mind one of those, pretty quick, good handling....
    I bring my car to university, but I am not insured to keep it there because I have lower crime in my hometown compared to Cardiff so I saved £200 on insurance and put on a Disklok steering lock as well as a gear lever-handbrake lock from Lidl!! So basically it's like Fort Knox, and has good sercurity in the first place. Recently some cars in the car park behind my halls got broken into and the radios were nicked. Fortunately mine is molded into the dashboard. I now leave my glovebox and cubby holes open to show that there's nothing to be had inside them.
    What course/uni are you aiming for or have got?

ReputationRep:
    I Paid £1500 my first year on a Brand New Grande Punto 1.2

And year before last I paid £1800 on 1.9 TDI Ibiza Sport

November 2009 was £1046 for same car.

Getting better. Looking at geting quoted on a 2007/2008 BMW 320D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King CalZ)
    Maybe not. I think i have got them mixed up with something similar. I was looking on autotrader today now i cant find it. Sorry my mistake.

What would you recommend for a first car?
    a 1.9TDI. (diesel.) No, engine size has nothing to do with speed. A 1.9TDI 2002 Golf would be cheaper to insure then a 1.2 Petrol Corsa.

Yes, its true. O, and I used elephant.co.uk, I said I parked the car elsewhere (which cheapen the insurance, and said that the value for it was £900 and it went even cheaper) I paid £1,250 for it. And I'm 19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomFellas)
    a 1.9TDI. (diesel.) No, engine size has nothing to do with speed. A 1.9TDI 2002 Golf would be cheaper to insure then a 1.2 Petrol Corsa.

Yes, its true. O, and I used elephant.co.uk, I said I parked the car elsewhere (which cheapen the insurance, and said that the value for it was £900 and it went even cheaper) I paid £1,250 for it. And I'm 19.
    So why would a 1.9 TDI be cheaper than a 1.2 petrol, because of its age? My 1.2 petrol (Seat Ibiza) is £1335 a year, the quote for my Mum's 08 VW Golf 1.9TDI was almost £2,500 at cheapest...is it to do with age?

ReputationRep:
    So why would a 1.9 TDI be cheaper than a 1.2 petrol, because of its age? My 1.2 petrol (Seat Ibiza) is £1335 a year, the quote for my Mum's 08 VW Golf 1.9TDI was almost £2,500 at cheapest...is it to do with age?
    Yes, a 2008 model golf costs over £10,000 when new. So naturally, finding parts is going to cost just as much. But on the older MK4 thats closing in on 12 years (in production since 1998) you can find parts for the car extremly cheaply seen as over a million where sold over the corse of its production, and becuase of this, parts are cheap. Even if they are not, insurance would just scrap the car and give you the value.

It's also to do with the BHP and Torques of the engine. Seen as its a newer engine, its most probbally more then 100BHP, this being said the insurance goes up for any car over the 100BHP point.

PS: if you where to go for the MK4 model, go for the ones after the year 2000-01, especially if its the diesel editions as they made a lot of revisions and modifications to the original engine.

I owned the 2001 1.9TDI, (90HP) I bought it with 132,000 miles on it, and used it till it hit the 150,000 mark and not a hicup since taking ownership. I had to trade it in for an estate, for my line of work. Really liked that car... Should'a chipped in the extra £1,000 for the estate and kept it instead. O well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.