Turn on thread page Beta

5 girls suspended for facebook group watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just flicking through the Surrey Comet whilst having my poached egg on a lightly toasted ciabatta (with garnish) this morning when i read an article about 5 girls being suspended over making a facebook group about a teacher whod screwed up prom dates to clash with GCSEs

The school in question was Nonsuch for Girls and if you havent heard about this school its one of the best girls grammar schools in the country and in our area has a reputation for being a breeding ground for top neeks

The students in question called the particular teacher a 'twit-face' :rofl: and apparently made several death threat :confused:

Just a couple of observations:

1. This is ONLY year 11 prom - why they hype? Its an all girl school and given its reputation not many of them are likely to know boys (not sure the opposite term for a sausage fest)

2. Death threats are extremely harsh on a teacher, whatever the situation

3. Why was this published in the local newspaper - slow newsday?

4. Isnt suspension too harsh?

5. Is this a violation of freedom of speech? My main man Jack Flynn told me today that schools can access everyones account if you are in your school's netword (big brother society??)

Your views?

ReputationRep:
    Number 5 is rubbish, your mate is misinformed.

But more importantly... what kind of garnish?

ReputationRep:
    Opposite of "sausage fest"?

Probably something like "gash party". :awesome:

1. Dunno.

2. The people who started the group are idiots, obviously.

3. Likely.

4. For death threats, whether they are likely to be carried out or not, I'd say they got off lightly with a suspension.

5. Could be a controversial subject to talk about. I mean, yes, what they do on their Facebooks or whatever should be relatively private, but death threats? Going a bit far really, so I'd say they deserve everything they get for it. *shrugs*

Needless death threats coming from idiots on Facebook... another day in an angsty teens' life.

ReputationRep:
    Happened to me, created a group critizing our under qualified IT staff and due to some people posting offensive comments I, as the creator of the group, was suspended. I was then told by the deputy head that I HAD to give my Facebook password to the IT administrator so she could monitor my profile! Of course I explained to them the Data Protection Act and my privacy rights, which they eventually accepted and agreed to not pursue that particular issue.

EDIT: By IT staff I mean Computing teaching staff, not administrators.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyoucool/symmetrical?)
    Just flicking through the Surrey Comet whilst having my poached egg on a lightly toasted ciabatta (with garnish)
    :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcus_Q)

lol xD
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As far as I remember GCSE exams were not in the evening, so they couldn't clash with the prom.
    Unless they mean for the day after, in which case it's not impossible to leave before the end.

ReputationRep:
    1. I can understand why prom is important, as it's a time where you get together with the rest of your year in your fancy rags and cabs, after all your exams and have a good time.

2. Death threats aren't necessary.

3. It's printed in a local newspaper because it's... local news? New vending machine in the town hall... it's printed in the local news. New foot ramp outisde the libary... it's printed in the local news. Psh, the most trivial things go in there, because not all the 'exciting' stuff is happening right outsite your doorstep.

4. Suspension sounds fair.

Number 5 is a silly question. The school have the right to punish school pupils for what they post on social networking sites, espcially with all this cyber bulling going on nowadays.

Edit: Meant to read 'death threats aren't...' --so I changed it.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Yes, what garnish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Opposite of "sausage fest"?

Probably something like "gash party". :awesome:

1. Dunno.

2. The people who started the group are idiots, obviously.

3. Likely.

4. For death threats, whether they are likely to be carried out or not, I'd say they got off lightly with a suspension.

5. Could be a controversial subject to talk about. I mean, yes, what they do on their Facebooks or whatever should be relatively private, but death threats? Going a bit far really, so I'd say they deserve everything they get for it. *shrugs*

Needless death threats coming from idiots on Facebook... another day in an angsty teens' life.
    Pocketfest

ReputationRep:

most schools have key loggers etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyoucool/symmetrical?)
    (not sure the opposite term for a sausage fest)
    Fish market.

ReputationRep:
    Death threats? Thats just stupid.
    On the other hand, i'm so jealous of your breakfast! That has made me hungry.

ReputationRep:
    I need to know what garnish!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    most schools have key loggers etc
    I doubt that true... but either way most schools also have blocking systems so you cannot access social networking sites.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that true... but either way most schools also have blocking systems so you cannot access social networking sites.
    im pretty sure they do :holmes: they did at mine at least :littleangel:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    I need to know what garnish!
    Because you'll implode otherwise? :p:

...I also want to know now.

ReputationRep:
    i cant remember which university it was but a few students were kicked out of the uni for creating a page slating one of the library staff

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ng-campaign.do

theres a link. i love that the guy gets slated on the news article as well :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    most schools have key loggers
    I don't think that's true.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.