Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Running 1/2 Marathon - What charity to raise money for? Watch

ReputationRep:
    n/a

ReputationRep:
    Have a think about what's important to you. Would you prefer to give to a local charity? A UK charity? Or a charity based abroad? A large charity, like Cancer Research or the NSPCC, or a smaller charity? An animal charity? A children's charity? A charity raising money for medical research, or promoting awareness of an issue, or providing care or respite for ill people?

In the past I've raised money for Umthombo, which is a small project in Durban, South Africa that helps to get homeless children off the street and train them to make a better life for themselves. I've been there and seen them in action, so I know it's a good cause, and with the World Cup in SA this year they're going to have their work cut out.

One of my friends from primary school got the opportunity to go on a trip to Lapland with the Make a Wish Foundation, which is based in the UK and "makes wishes come true" for seriously ill children.

That's just a couple off the top of my head, there are loads of worthwhile charities to raise money for.

ReputationRep:
    None are particularly special for you? I've heard alzheimer's could do with some funding (off the news). I'm going to run the race for life in June
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    As moregano says, think about what is important to you.

Have any of your family or friends ever benefited from the help of a charity? If so, why not pick that charity to help out.

Or are there any causes or concerns that you support - helping children, old people, people suffering froma certain illness, helping people in developing countries, helping animals, helping the poor. Any of those something you really would like to help out with?

We could all tell you certain charities we support and it'd be great for you to pick one of those. But even better if you think of something yourself which you really care about and then run in aid of a charity that helps out in that area

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.