Turn on thread page Beta

people you don't know asking for money watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you facilitate them? or just ignore them since you don't know them?

ReputationRep:
    What, like people in the car park asking for a quid? Yeah, why not?

ReputationRep:
    Why should I? There is no logical reason.

ReputationRep:
    I won't do it again. A lad once asked me for 50p so he can "catch the bus to see his family", so I gave him it, then he tried offering me drugs! *******!

ReputationRep:
    If it is for drugs or alcohol, I will just say no and walk away. If I seen someone who didn't have the right money for the bus or needed and extra bit of cash whilst in the queue/at the till then I would offer money. You can usually tell who the scumbags are...

Also, there is a guy in Liverpool who has asked me several times for money for the train as he is stuck and can't get home. This guy I see at least once a week and his story is exactly the same. I have seen him receive money from a lady, then proceed to ask others right in front of her.

ReputationRep:
    I was walking down the street and this bloke came up to me and asked where the bus station was so I told him, then he had the cheek to ask me for £1 so he had enough for his dayrider. If they can't afford £1 to get somewhere then what on earth have they done with their lives?

ReputationRep:
    I oblige if the situation is clearly affecting them at that point, such as if they're a couple of p down on a purchase/bus fare.

If they're asking for money and I can't see why I don't usually help them.

ReputationRep:
    Your threads are getting annoying now; seriously just shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZahraF)
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    why? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Because 99% of the time they consist of you posting some statement, and then defending it rabidly as if it were someone else made the thread specifically attacking your beliefs.

I.e.

You: "Do you help other people?"
    Poster: "Yes, of course I do"
    You: "WHY SHOULD I? THEY DONT DESERVE IT. WHY SHOULD I CARE?"

ReputationRep:
    depends, like once this 12 year old asked me for two quid to buy mcdonalds so i gave him it and he actually went mcdonalds and bought something i felt like a saint
    but if its some hobo NO WAY they'll spend my hard earned EMA tooting rock

also, if its a random beg at school then i won't give it to them, if you only talk to me when you need money, suck ya mudda

ReputationRep:
    One time this couple came up to me and the husband asked me for money so he could feed his baby milk, whom the wife is carrying. He asked if I got $10. I was like wth baby milks don't cost $10. I gave him a $1.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This is a tough question to answer as you have to first decide whether the person needs the money or if they are just trying to beg for it. Secondly you have the decide that if they do need the money are they going to use it on something sensible, like bus fair home or some food.

So I find it really tough when asked and usually end up not giving anything. Though I would say, if you've got the time, feel able and feel safe doing so, ask them what they want it for. If it's for a travel ticket and you're willing to help - go buy it with them. If it's for food, don't give them the money, but instead go buy them the food.

I do know once that someone asked me for some money for a cup of tea and when I said I'd go buy them one and if they knew where to get one, they refused and said they just wanted the money to buy the tea themselves...if they really want the tea/food/travel ticket so desparately, then they'd let you go buy it and bring it back to them.

ReputationRep:
    I generally don't give to beggars, purely because if I gave to every one I saw, I wouldn't be able to afford to live myself.

Plus, if you do, they generally tend to keep asking for more and wont piss off. Plus if you're in an area that has a high number of people who DO give them money, it tends to attract more. They're like pigeons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Don't act so clueless :rolleyes:

Most of your threads are about the same kind of nonsense; bascially you hate everyone and everything, we get it.

This as well

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Because 99% of the time they consist of you posting some statement, and then defending it rabidly as if it were someone else made the thread specifically attacking your beliefs.

I.e.

You: "Do you help other people?"
    Poster: "Yes, of course I do"
    You: "WHY SHOULD I? THEY DONT DESERVE IT. WHY SHOULD I CARE?"
    Oh and you've already made this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post23398379

ReputationRep:
    My job is to ring up alumni from my uni and ask them to give money to the uni. People actually do.

ReputationRep:
    Don't act so clueless :rolleyes:

Most of your threads are about the same kind of nonsense; bascially you hate everyone and everything, we get it.

This as well

Oh and you've already made this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post23398379
    I only hate low-class people, not everybody.

ReputationRep:
    The only person who regularly asks me for money is a tramp with a bike opposite Mile end station.

Anyway, generally no, but if I saw someone a few pence short at a shop or something then yeah why not. This guy looked really genuine once and asked if I could help him, he needed £2 or summat to catch a train, so I gave him a pound.

ReputationRep:
    I've done it a couple of times before, but in general, the longer their stories are, the more they are talking crap. Spot the difference -

"Hey I haven't got enough money to catch this bus. Have you got a spare quid?"

"Hey, I need some money because my car broke down a few roads down, and my battery died, and I didn't take my wallet out with me, and I need to get my daughter to school, and I forgot what number is for the AA, and I stepped on some gum, and..." *Already left*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.