Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayK)
    Are you against Arranged marraige?

Im against this point in the debate, but i really can't think of anything :confused: Apart from letting love flow, but i don't reall think im supporting my point strong enough. (Still trying to challenge myself)

So...Even if you're for the argument, what reasons would be against it?

I'd just like to add there is a huge difference between arranged marraige and forced marraige. Im asking for arranged marraige.
    Arranged Marriage - Nope.
    Forced Marriage -Hell yea <_< ....

ReputationRep:
    This is tough - I don't like arranged marriages, but in the end it's down to personal opinion, it's hard to debate preferences. As sad as it is to let your family pick out potential suitors , if its your choice, its your choice, right? I suppose you could argue if you rely on arranged marriage, you never really develop the social skills to deal and interact with the opposite sex in a 'natural' way. Love and marriage seem too important to be instigated by artificially constructed social rituals, developed in part because of factors that have nothing to do with the feelings of the people of involved, and more due to circumstance and survival. Though arguably, marriage itself is an artificially constructed social ritual, developed in part because of factors that have little to do with the feelings of the people involved, and more due to circumstance and survival. So I guess an arranged marriage is even worse.

ReputationRep:
    I'm for it because you still have the choice to marry the person or not.. Its just that your future husband/wife is introduced to you rather than you meeting him/her by yourself.. And a lot of arrange marriages go on really well

ReputationRep:
    its sad how people don't even understand the difference between arranged marriage and forced.
    its like your mum saying 'this is so and so's son' and introducing you...

I'm totally against FORCED marriages

But I think arranged is all good if both sides are cool with it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    why do a lot of people think its forced
    I'ts completely fine - you have a choice, you can say no - it's simply people helping you out and introducing you to someone who is suitable to you
    i know that in some backwards families, its forced upon - but thats completely separate to simply an 'arranged marriage', the forcefullness depends on the individual family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookitsdanhunt)
    Ha so basically your first point about how hot the girl is doesnt really stand
    Maybe I didn't phrase my sentances right. I meant if she's hot then why not as I'm unlikely to do any better on my own.

ReputationRep:
    There have been many succesful and happy arranged marriages, I have no problem with it.

People confuse forced marriages and arranged marriages which is a shame. Obviously, I am against forced marriages but they are completely different to arranged marriages.

ReputationRep:
    I'm never getting an arranged marriage, just don't like the idea of my life essentially being decided for me. Unless any girl my parents find happens to be super hot....

ReputationRep:
    Yes, absolutely.

If we do not have the capacity to exercise free will, then what's the point? I would never accept my parents arranging a marriage for me, I'd rather do it myself with someone I love.

ReputationRep:
    Well there is no way I am going to have an arranged marriage - because my parents have poor taste :P...although im not against it, as in some cases it can work - however i'm totally against "forced marriages".

ReputationRep:
    Against arranged marriages, no. Against forced, yes. An arranged marriage doesn't include any element of making the male and female marry each other without their agreement, if it did it would obviously be better described as a forced marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Most of my family have had arranged marriage, there was nothing forced about them. However, I will not have an arranged marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Why do people confuse arranged marriage with forced marriages?

Arranged marriages have the consent of both people. Some people actually need to know what they are talking about before mouthing off.
    People who enter into arranged marriages are forced. They believe that they have to marry this person to make their parents/family happy and because if they don't they may be disowned.

I had a friend that is a Muslim and she has an arranged marriage to her COUSIN! Do you seriously think that if she had a choice, if her culture did not make her believe that she will be dishonouring her family if she doesn't marry him, that she would chose to marry her own cousin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srxjer)
    In some societies, there is no difference.
    Yes there is a difference. One is forced and that's final, but some parents arrange for you to meet a guy but don't insist on marriage. Stop generalising. Every family is different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    People who enter into arranged marriages are forced. They believe that they have to marry this person to make their parents/family happy and because if they don't they may be disowned.

I had a friend that is a Muslim and she has an arranged marriage to her COUSIN! Do you seriously think that if she had a choice, if her culture did not make her believe that she will be dishonouring her family if she doesn't marry him, that she would chose to marry her own cousin?
    Again, that's a forced marriage. Arranged marriages are like blind date, you are willing to participate, no force. Families like that end up forcing their kids to do what they want.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm just against people who can't spell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    Depends how hot the girl is. I'll take what I can get. :p:
    Well if you can have like 10 wives, the chances are at least one of them will be hot.

ReputationRep:
    I'm against forced marriages but I'm definitely not against arranged marriages.

ReputationRep:
    I am against.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.