Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am against marriage.period. but even more so arranged ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAURA459)
    No, I'm just against people who can't spell.

Me? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    People who enter into arranged marriages are forced. They believe that they have to marry this person to make their parents/family happy and because if they don't they may be disowned.
    No. :curious:

I had a friend that is a Muslim and she has an arranged marriage to her COUSIN! Do you seriously think that if she had a choice, if her culture did not make her believe that she will be dishonouring her family if she doesn't marry him, that she would chose to marry her own cousin?
    Dishonouring? Are you sure it wasn't a Hindu family or something?

And it's possible to actually like your cousin. I have a cousin who's pretty and has a nice character and I wouldn't mind marrying her. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like them, in some cases theres no difference between the two

ReputationRep:
    No - but first I would like to define an arranged marriage

To me it would mean my parents have found a few potential partners for me who they think would obviously be good for me - I would then have the option to meet/talk to them and then choose who I think I would fit with me best.. the process goes on until you find the right person. In a way it's kind of like chaperoned dating..You just don't have sex.

I think this is perfectly fine especially as in most cultures/ families where this occurs the girls are usually not allowed to date - so how are they meant to find someone? And also, no parent is going to want their child divorced or with someone who doesn't treat them right - so they will look very carefully to find the best match

When I was in highschool we had this debate in one of our lessons - and the teacher at the time was 30 something year old male christian who said he wished his family would arrange for him to meet some potential partners as he obviously had had no luck. 10 years later and he's still single.

I am for the fall in love route too, but for some people it's more 'you grow to love them' kind of relationship.

I don't see a problem with arranged marriages unless the options are limited to say extended family members and weirdos.

Forced marriages are completely different and not what the OP asked for so I won't get into that

Hope that helped :woo:

EDIT: i just read the above post - about the muslim girl that married the cousin - An i would just like to say :

she's muslim - so lets assume because of religious reasons she doesn't date, so her options are severely limited already.
    Then her parents have found her a cousin - who they have probably known there whole lives so they know his history, family, values, culture etc and they obviously think he's good for their daughter
    If its an arranged marriage she has the option to say no. But she didn't so she said yes. And now they're married if they have problems - because they are cousins the strain of divorce would impact more than just them - so they have more of a reason to stay together to try and work it out.

FYI, most people marry cousins for a sense of security and out of fear of 'not' getting divorced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steeler4life)
    I'm against forced arranged marriages. If the 2 people involved are quite happy to be married, then let them be.
    I agree, forced arrange marriages i'm against but those where the people involved are quite happy (someone i knew once reckoned it to like a glorified dating service) then I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    If I had to end up marrying then it probably will be an arrange marriage.
    I don't believe in love, don't believe in emotionally connecting with *****es, don't believe in committing to relationships...so it'd be pretty much impossible for me to choose to marry a girl.

My mum pretty much knows my taste in girls inside out anyway, exotic latin look, brunette, big boobs, high sex drive etc. so if it did come to that she'd choose a good one.
    Arrange marriages are only a problem because emotionally it's hard to connect with somebody you don't know, fortunately for me I only regard the physical looks important.

It won't ever come to that, because I'd rather kill myself than commit long term to a girl. There are far, far more important things in my world than girls, relationships and all that nonsense. Besides, as an investment marriages are a complete waste of money, time and effort. Chances are with my complete disregard for committment she'll end up divorcing me anyway, trying to steal all of my money in the process.

Arrange marriages are okay, especially for those who only care for the physical appearance....forced marriages are horsecrap though.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not against it at all. Not for me, but I think there's alot to be said for it in some instances.

Not everyone can have it all, you know in a way our grandparents had arranged marriages. In the past, people settled for someone they got along with, was a cool person and who they could live with. There wasn't so much emphasis on love, it's nice but not 100% necessary. That's partly why there was so little divorce; you get with someone you like alot, get married, have kids, always looks after each other. Though our grandparents may have chosen their own spouses, they still didn't wait forever for love. I think some people expect too much from life.

I don't think there's anything wrong with arranged marriages, provided neither partner is coerced. Arranged is not forced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    If I had to end up marrying then it probably will be an arrange marriage.
    I don't believe in love, don't believe in emotionally connecting with *****es, don't believe in committing to relationships...so it'd be pretty much impossible for me to choose to marry a girl.

My mum pretty much knows my taste in girls inside out anyway, exotic latin look, brunette, big boobs, high sex drive etc. so if it did come to that she'd choose a good one.
    Arrange marriages are only a problem because emotionally it's hard to connect with somebody you don't know, fortunately for me I only regard the physical looks important.

It won't ever come to that, because I'd rather kill myself than commit long term to a girl. There are far, far more important things in my world than girls, relationships and all that nonsense. Besides, as an investment marriages are a complete waste of money, time and effort. Chances are with my complete disregard for committment she'll end up divorcing me anyway, trying to steal all of my money in the process.

Arrange marriages are okay, especially for those who only care for the physical appearance....forced marriages are horsecrap though.
    You speak like such a little kid, you really do.

ReputationRep:
    People who enter into arranged marriages are forced. They believe that they have to marry this person to make their parents/family happy and because if they don't they may be disowned.

I had a friend that is a Muslim and she has an arranged marriage to her COUSIN! Do you seriously think that if she had a choice, if her culture did not make her believe that she will be dishonouring her family if she doesn't marry him, that she would chose to marry her own cousin?
    Wow you meet one case of forced marriage and you end up thinking all arranged marriages are forced marriages.

You shouldn't generalise like that. I'm Muslim and 99%of marriages which have occured in my family, which is a massive family, have been arranged and no one was forced. Funnily my male cousin who is looking for a bride had been turned down numerous times and yet no one forced the girl to marry him.

Parents in arranged marriages just tend to introduce the couple and if they have a connection then they continue on to marriage. If not, they go on there seperate ways. Your friend who was forced to marry her cousin is an exception, not the norm. There are some very cultural people who force their children to marry, however they are few in number fortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    No. :curious:

Dishonouring? Are you sure it wasn't a Hindu family or something?

And it's possible to actually like your cousin. I have a cousin who's pretty and has a nice character and I wouldn't mind marrying her. :dontknow:
    No she is Muslim. And marrying your cousin is ILLEGAL and just plain sick tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Actually it's not illegal in Britain. Each to their own but naaah no thanks.

ReputationRep:
    And to the original question, I've no objections to an "arranged" marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    You speak like such a little kid, you really do.
    and yet this little kid sees no reason to take you or anything that you say seriously.
    :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    No it's not and why is it wrong?

ReputationRep:

Uh, no. No it's not. It's completely legal. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, the short answer is it can be good and bad, it makes some people happy and others sad - so you can't really lump it into "good" or "bad".

ReputationRep:
    and yet this little kid sees no reason to take you or anything that you say seriously.
    :yawn:

:eyebrow: I, erm, I care. Really. Mature response. Bravo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    :eyebrow: I, erm, I care. Really. Mature response. Bravo.
    and you think I care of your quote to my post?
    Are you done now? you're incredibly boring and typical...it's always the same horsecrap with you :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    and you think I care of your quote to my post?
    Are you done now? you're incredibly boring and typical...it's always the same horsecrap with you :yawn:
    When did I indicate that I think you care? What's led you to that assumption?

And typical of what exactly? And this is the first time I've spoken to you, so your defamation of my character won't keep me up at night. It was also a pretty **** rebuttal.

kthnx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.