Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    When did I indicate that I think you care? What's led you to that assumption?

And typical of what exactly? And this is the first time I've spoken to you, so your defamation of my character won't keep me up at night. It was also a pretty **** rebuttal.

kthnx
    Well when did I ask if you care? what's led you to that assumption?
    Because you went on and said 'I, erm, I care.' - I didn't ask whether you cared or not.

Typical of exactly this, and you have an awfully short memory (which isn't really surprising). Besides, you don't have to talk to a person directly on here to know if they're a *****.

I just pitty those who have the displeasure of knowing you in real life. Your attempts to act all clever just fail, it's like you come on here a miserable cow to take out the frustration you experience in the real world.

I sure do hope this doesn't keep you up at night, jackass :mfing:
    ...and that's the bottom line.

ReputationRep:
    Your mixing arranged marriage with forced marriage

They are very different. In my culture when yoru a young adult, you are happy with arranged marriages and dont mind it. If you cant find a suitor, then your parents will.
    When an aranged suitor is accepted. The two are allowed to talk, meet socialize etc and see if they like each other or not. If they dont they are more than welcome to reject each other.

It isnt FORCED. Dont mix the two together. This is just a bad example of imposing other cultural behaviour over others and just trying to be superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    People who enter into arranged marriages are forced. They believe that they have to marry this person to make their parents/family happy and because if they don't they may be disowned.

I had a friend that is a Muslim and she has an arranged marriage to her COUSIN! Do you seriously think that if she had a choice, if her culture did not make her believe that she will be dishonouring her family if she doesn't marry him, that she would chose to marry her own cousin?

Thats a forced marriage, not just arranged. As muslims my sister accepted an arranged and is getting married at the end of the year, she rejected many other sutors cos they didnt really get along and she didnt like them. They are more than allowed to reject if they want to.

But this guy she totally loves him and they are always together so they agreed to get married. As for your muslim friend she is unfortunate to be born in a family that is so strict and doesnt respect her feelings. Not all muslims are the same so dont assume they are.

Thats just pure ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steeler4life)
    I'm against forced arranged marriages. If the 2 people involved are quite happy to be married, then let them be.
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    Well when did I ask if you care? what's led you to that assumption?
    Because you went on and said 'I, erm, I care.' - I didn't ask whether you cared or not.

Typical of exactly this, and you have an awfully short memory (which isn't really surprising). Besides, you don't have to talk to a person directly on here to know if they're a *****.

I just pitty those who have the displeasure of knowing you in real life. Your attempts to act all clever just fail, it's like you come on here a miserable cow to take out the frustration you experience in the real world.

I sure do hope this doesn't keep you up at night, jackass :mfing:
    ...and that's the bottom line.
    :rofl: I feel sorry for people who know me too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    No it's not and why is it wrong?
    Ok fine it appears it is legal.

I always thought it was illegal but it is still wrong. That is your mother's niece/nephew. Your auntie's/uncle's child. They have the same blood as you.

In a lot of cases people grow up with their cousins like they are siblings.

Would you think it was ok to marry your great uncle/aunt? Which is the same thing in reverse (I think)

ReputationRep:
    Arranged marriages were incredibly common in England, especially the Monarchy that’s why if you look at our Monarch today she shares blood with the Romanovs – now dead, and the German royal families – abdicated. They did it to keep the wealth in the family... and until recently it was seen as perfectly normal.

In regards to arranged marriages there are different types, also, they differ across Cultures, East Asians may do it differently to South Asians, Muslims who follow Islamic law – MINUS CULTURE will do it completely differently with the people in question being allowed to meet three times before a decision is made.

Also, we assume that relationships in western societies do not work on the basis of the same principle, women on average go for men who are financially secure and who has similar interests to them, men look for younger attractive women. To me the only real differences between ‘love marriages’ and ‘arranged marriages’ is that in an arranged marriage a ‘well wisher’ narrows down your ‘field of available’ to your ‘field of desirables’ and then allows you to pick... it’s different in a forced marriage obviously but they get so much media attention that people are unaware of the millions of successful arranged marriages that have taken place throughout the world. Also, some people are blatantly too ignorant to realise the difference!

No. Love comes after marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarn)
    I am absolutely in favour of arranged marriages. They should be the only kind of marriage and I think they should be actively encouraged by the government. As long as those involved fit certain conditions, of course. They should be intelligent, thin, have fair skin, have nice teeth and not be disabled and ginger. Wealth shouldn't be a factor as the government should give these people vast amounts of money for helping to make the future of the human race a brighter one.

ReputationRep:
    OK. I'm aware of the distinction between an 'arranged' and a 'forced' marriage. I still can't see what anyone would have to gain from a 'forced marriage' though! - I assume it's just a contract - can't it just be signed but the two parties just live apart if they don't get on? I'm assuming it's about consecrating an alliance between two clans/dynasties.

Anyway, onto 'arranged' marriages. Do you basically submit a list of criteria (e.g. height, weight, BMI, hair colour, education level, income bracket etc. to your parents/family) and then wait for suitable candidates to be shortlisted and then get them to come round and semi-interview them? I'm assuming this kind of stuff is helpful if you're quite a busy person - but what I am curious about is how there must surely be websites that do this stuff more efficiently than one's parents could. Isn't that the case?

Also, what if you just keep rejecting everything your parents manage to shortlist? Might they not get a bit cheesed off at their lack of success?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    OK. I'm aware of the distinction between an 'arranged' and a 'forced' marriage. I still can't see what anyone would have to gain from a 'forced marriage' though! - I assume it's just a contract - can't it just be signed but the two parties just live apart if they don't get on? I'm assuming it's about consecrating an alliance between two clans/dynasties.
    There is absolutly nothing to gain out of forced marriages. Parens who force their children should be ashamed of themselves. It'll just result in divorce.

(Original post by effofex)
    Anyway, onto 'arranged' marriages. Do you basically submit a list of criteria (e.g. height, weight, BMI, hair colour, education level, income bracket etc. to your parents/family) and then wait for suitable candidates to be shortlisted and then get them to come round and semi-interview them? I'm assuming this kind of stuff is helpful if you're quite a busy person - but what I am curious about is how there must surely be websites that do this stuff more efficiently than one's parents could. Isn't that the case?

Also, what if you just keep rejecting everything your parents manage to shortlist? Might they not get a bit cheesed off at their lack of success?
    I can't generalise all arranged marriages but in Asian families, parents just ask around family and friends if they know anyone who is looking for a bride/groom. They also specify some things like 'he must have a degree' or 'he must be religious' etc. Sometimes it can get ridiculous as some parents end up getting very superficial and materialistic in these things.

If both people who are getting married approve of each other on paper then a meeting is arranged where they see if they get on. If they do then its good and there may be further meeting between the families resulting in a wedding. If the meeting goes sour then they leave it at that and keep on the search for a spouse.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind an arranged marriage to be honest (unless I find someone I like myself)

The only way I think I'm ever going to find someone who would even be willing to marry me is through arranged marriage :o:

ReputationRep:
    Ok fine it appears it is legal.

I always thought it was illegal but it is still wrong. That is your mother's niece/nephew. Your auntie's/uncle's child. They have the same blood as you.

In a lot of cases people grow up with their cousins like they are siblings.
    But not in every case. A 1st cousin is only half you dads or mums blood and even then that half is not identical to your mum or dad so it's not like she's my step sister or something. Besides now that we established that it is possible to like your cousin your story packs less of a punch. Surely it's up to the individual to decide whether its right or wrong rather than your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    But not in every case. A 1st cousin is only half you dads or mums blood and even then that half is not identical to your mum or dad so it's not like she's my step sister or something. Besides now that we established that it is possible to like your cousin your story packs less of a punch. Surely it's up to the individual to decide whether its right or wrong rather than your opinion?
    Doesn't pack any less of a punch. If you did a poll asking people if they thought it was ok to marry their cousin I guarantee it would come out on the side of no.

And of course it's possible to like your cousin; it's possible to like your Dad doesn't make it right.

Statistically speaking, arranged marriages seem more likely to succeed because people are forced to accept each other and work through things. So would arranged marriages result in happier marriages, even if they were initially not the result of (often) going to a bar and meeting someone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    If I had to end up marrying then it probably will be an arrange marriage.
    I don't believe in love, don't believe in emotionally connecting with *****es, don't believe in committing to relationships...so it'd be pretty much impossible for me to choose to marry a girl.

My mum pretty much knows my taste in girls inside out anyway, exotic latin look, brunette, big boobs, high sex drive etc. so if it did come to that she'd choose a good one.
    Arrange marriages are only a problem because emotionally it's hard to connect with somebody you don't know, fortunately for me I only regard the physical looks important.

It won't ever come to that, because I'd rather kill myself than commit long term to a girl. There are far, far more important things in my world than girls, relationships and all that nonsense. Besides, as an investment marriages are a complete waste of money, time and effort. Chances are with my complete disregard for committment she'll end up divorcing me anyway, trying to steal all of my money in the process.

Arrange marriages are okay, especially for those who only care for the physical appearance....forced marriages are horsecrap though.
    Christ, you sounds like a total ******* loser. I think the most entertaining part of your little spiel was the section about your mother knowing the ins and outs of your sexual desires. What, do you share masturbatory tastes or something?

And as I previously said, I am against the culture that proliferates the acceptability arranged marriages. I would much prefer people to have the confidence to chose for themselves, to fall in love with on the basis of their taste.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't pack any less of a punch. If you did a poll asking people if they thought it was ok to marry their cousin I guarantee it would come out on the side of no.
    So? If the person wants to marry his or her cousin I don't see the problem with that. Why should it be subject to what everyone else thinks? Again, why is it wrong?

And of course it's possible to like your cousin; it's possible to like your Dad doesn't make it right.
    Well in your original post you made it sound like it was impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Christ, you sounds like a total ******* loser. I think the most entertaining part of your little spiel was the section about your mother knowing the ins and outs of your sexual desires. What, do you share masturbatory tastes or something?
    Can you not read? I pity you if you think preferring brunettes or an exotic look is a 'sexual desire'. I'm guessing you don't actually know what the term means, probably because you have yet to explore that little world :rolleyes:

She knows my preference in girls, which isn't really uncommon...perhaps it may be for you, your parents probably havn't seen the day their son has a girlfriend.

Just because I don't believe in love/committment/marriage makes me a loser does it? You may be in desperate need for a girl and probably crave that sort of stuff, but I've got far, far more important and better things to concern myself with.

The very fact that I can do without it and have the luxury of getting involved in more important things means that it is you who is the loser. I'm sure once you do get some though your level of desperation may go down a bit.

Also, your pathetic attempt to be funny is just a fail....I'm insulted that's the best you could come up with, would you like to think something up and try again? :dry:

:laugh: some of the pathetic people on here, so desperate for girls and relationships they think saying anything against it is all of a sudden blasphemy :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    And as I previously said, I am against the culture that proliferates the acceptability arranged marriages. I would much prefer people to have the confidence to chose for themselves, to fall in love with on the
    basis of their taste.
    Why are you talking as if you have that sort of luxury? Don't kid yourself dude, you'd be lucky to have an arranged marriage at best...actually a forced marriage, poor girl (or guy)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.