Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone doing English language or know anything about transcripts? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is 'ffff' regarded as a filler?

Because my teacher highlighted that but the person actually says that..they say ummm ffff

I know it's not a big deal but for me it is i don't know why

Secondly, in a transcript, if a word is unclear do you do [unclear] ? because she highlighted that a couple of times too but I don't know what to do....

Lastly, and this is most annoying because it's all over my transcript,, the (?) shows it's a question doesn't it? because apparently it's wrong according to my teacher and i don't know how it's possible to write something down and not mark it as a question like that...then what do you do if it's an interrogative?

Thanks a bunch
    Ala xxx

ReputationRep:
    If it's an interrogative we've been told to just include a question mark, otherwise if a person was reading it they would read it as a declarative or something. If your teacher is being really picky, then include the rise and fall in intonation markers. (The intonation would go up seeing as a question is being asked)

Things like 'ummm' 'ermmm' = filled pauses. Different to fillers, as these are more things like hesitation. If a pause is silent, you call it an unvoiced pause.
    Fillers = things like 'like...' 'you know' 'I mean' 'sort of' etc. Things that have very little meaningbut are often inserted into everyday speech.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.