Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Terry Pratchett's speech on Alzheimers and assisted suicide watch

ReputationRep:
    I was quite surprised no-one had written anything about this speech before, but i just thought I would ask what people thought about the issue of assisted death.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...icide-tribunal
    I for one think that such a great man deserves a dignified death on his own terms and I can't believe we live in a country that puts animals out of their misery yet we will not allow humans the same choice. If I was ever diagnosed with this horrible diasease I would like the option of peacefully ending my life after spending time with family and friends, rather than loose my dignity and identity and becoming a burden on others. What are your thoughts on this subject?

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for it. I'm pro-death to use Bill Maher's phrase. (at least, I think it's his).

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for it - the system Pratchett describes is ideal, and he refutes the arguments against brilliantly. I don't know why people would be against allowing people to end their lives.

ReputationRep:
    because people would argue tht religion stops one frm endin their life as it is god himself who decides upon ones death, however personally i think if one is sufferin so much they should have a right to end their OWN life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guess Who =])
    because people would argue tht religion stops one frm endin their life as it is god himself who decides upon ones death, however personally i think if one is sufferin so much they should have a right to end their OWN life.
    We live in what is essentially a secular state - people shouldn't have their lives impacted by religious doctrines adopted by the state if they do not wish it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm for it.

Edit: Just to add that to force a human to live who is 'trapped' inside thier own body seems a bit like mental torture to me.

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know pointed out the problem of relatives 'helping' their loved ones to die just to get their inheritance. But surely they could legislate to stop this from happening, cases would have to be properly investigated ect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    I'm all for it - the system Pratchett describes is ideal, and he refutes the arguments against brilliantly. I don't know why people would be against allowing people to end their lives.
    This is the strange thing though, most people agree it is the right thing to do but the government just isn't getting the message. What possible benifit could they gain from this??
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I'm against assisted suicide for many reasons, two of which are people will encourage people to request assisted suicide in order to get rid of them so they don't have to bother caring for their family or to get their inheritance. The other reason is that it will lead to some people who want to live to feel they have to end their own life so they are not a nuisance or so they are not in the way.

People have a right to life and should never ever feel they have to give it up. Nor has anyone the right to encourage or pressure someone in to feeling they have to end their own life.

Not matter who you try and legislate against such things, it will happen. It's human nature. And it would never be right to make it legal in any way whilst ever there is such a risk.

(I would also be against it in other reasons, such as God being the one to decide when someones life should end, but for many of you those arguments sadly mean nothing, but those reasons above are also held very strongly by me and my biggest worries for the general population when it comes to the idea of making assisted suicide (or whatever you wish to call it) legal.)

ReputationRep:
    I am all for legal, voluntary euthanasia.

Nobody else has the right to control my life or death. Nobody. Especially not people who object to voluntary euthanasia on religious grounds. Since when do I care what your God thinks?

I intend on moving to The Netherlands anyway, where I could die with dignity should I slip into a vegetative state, or a state where I can no longer communicate my wishes, or a state where I am so far removed from my life as an able-bodied person that I would wish to end it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    I'm against assisted suicide for many reasons, two of which are people will encourage people to request assisted suicide in order to get rid of them so they don't have to bother caring for their family or to get their inheritance. The other reason is that it will lead to some people who want to live to feel they have to end their own life so they are not a nuisance or so they are not in the way.

People have a right to life and should never ever feel they have to give it up. Nor has anyone the right to encourage or pressure someone in to feeling they have to end their own life.

Not matter who you try and legislate against such things, it will happen. It's human nature. And it would never be right to make it legal in any way whilst ever there is such a risk.

(I would also be against it in other reasons, such as God being the one to decide when someones life should end, but for many of you those arguments sadly mean nothing, but those reasons above are also held very strongly by me and my biggest worries for the general population when it comes to the idea of making assisted suicide (or whatever you wish to call it) legal.)
    I'll run you over, leaving you paralysed. You can't move on your own, or talk. Someone has to wipe your arse. You have a machine to help you breathe. You're in constant pain and can't take painkillers because they're thinning out your blood too much.

Then tell me its up to God.

The only people who should decide are those who know what its like to be in that position i.e. those who are in it.

Your arguments are valid, of course. That's why it'd have to be monitored very strictly. Not banned.

ReputationRep:
    My grandmother has dementia, she has a form called Lewy Body dementia which is not as "press friendly". She does not agree with assisted suicide, not just because of her religious beliefs, but because she could not put our family through it.

I totally respect people who want to have the right to die, but the legislature it would require is mind-blowing and probably unfeasible to implement for quite some time in this country.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=RK]I'm against assisted suicide for many reasons, two of which are people will encourage people to request assisted suicide in order to get rid of them so they don't have to bother caring for their family or to get their inheritance. The other reason is that it will lead to some people who want to live to feel they have to end their own life so they are not a nuisance or so they are not in the way.

QUOTE]

"We have the right to live"
    What right have you to decide for anyone else? You are against it, but why force your belifes on the rest of us?
    The slippery slope argument is use to back up alot of rubbish. Its like saying we souldnt give out any benefits because there are people who will feel they deserve it, so we give out more and more.
    If people feel depressed or that life isnt worth living, hey will commit suicide - Euthenasia requres investigation into the person applying, It is in the case of extreme pain when close to death.

ReputationRep:
    I saw it, his speech had to be read out by Tony Robinson and it made me cry. Terry Pratchett is truly a brave man, he wants to take responsibility and "shake hands with death" as he put it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)

It should be monitored in the way of the person having a doctors certificate ect and also they would have to be of seemingly sound mind or able to express their wishes. I just cant see how you could allow someone to endure a living hell, as has already been said, you would'nt do that to an animal, so why allow a human that pain and suffering?

I'm all for the right to have an assisted death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardine92)
    I saw it, his speech had to be read out by Tony Robinson and it made me cry. Terry Pratchett is truly a brave man, he wants to take responsibility and "shake hands with death" as he put it.
    I agree the speech was beautiful, a true testament to the genius of the man I think. His description of how he would like to die was very peaceful, much better than what would happen when the Alzheimers takes hold.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    To sum up my views:

I'm pro-choice. Saying I'm pro-death implies that the person who you assist in dying didn't give consent.

And I thought that Mr Prachett was very wise to make that speech (also Tony Robinson read it out brilliantly)
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    (Original post by RK)

"We have the right to live"
    What right have you to decide for anyone else? You are against it, but why force your belifes on the rest of us?
    The slippery slope argument is use to back up alot of rubbish. Its like saying we souldnt give out any benefits because there are people who will feel they deserve it, so we give out more and more.
    If people feel depressed or that life isnt worth living, hey will commit suicide - Euthenasia requres investigation into the person applying, It is in the case of extreme pain when close to death.
    Much is wrong with your post here. Your analogy with benefits is weak as benefits are not permanent unreversable changes. The death of someone is not reversable so you have to take so much more care when talking about such things as ending lives.

Euthanasia also wouldn't happen when people are close to death or in extreme pain. People want to have the write to use it when they are not close to death nor in extreme pain as they do not wish to risk ending up there. It's these situations I'm worried about - where people could have a year or two's good quality life left ahead of them free from pain and suffering, yet know that could be coming and so feel forced in to ending their life now by the people around them so the family do not have to bother looking after them in the future. Or that they feel they should end their life now so they do not become in need of care from their family. These people could end up feeling forced to end their life before they wish and well before they are in any pain or suffering.

No matter what safe guards one tries to put in, the society in the UK could not guarnatee that these things will not happen. If just one person is forced in to dying like this when deep down they do not want to, then it is wrong and we allow too much. It's like the death penalty - the risk of killing just one innocent person with the death penalty (which happened countless times) is more than enough justification for banning the death penalty).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlisquigs)
    we live in a country that puts animals out of their misery yet we will not allow humans the same choice.
    I never thought about it like this. Well said :yes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.