Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I was just wondering whether people thought that it would be possible to manage to do well in these considering there would be loads of work involved ?

Current options I'm thinking of taking
    Triple Science
    German (Asset GCSE equivalent)
    AS religious studies
    History

or would you advise to do something else?

ReputationRep:
    No sounds great I think, guessing you're doing Maths and two englishes as is compulsory as well?

I'm doing Triple Science, Germnan, Phil/Ethics, Geog, French and Statistics as well as norm and coping well (though do have the odd stressy moment, as does everyone).

The AS RE thing will take up a hell of a lot of effort ! But if you're really good at it (which you must be) then I'm sure you'll do fine.

Really, I think just go for it and see how you do, you can always drop something I guess. You've chosen good options that unis will like

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    Compulsory subjects are 2x English, maths, core science, RS short course, btec PE, ict, and statistics (as i'm in top set maths)
    The only one I'm really unsure about is triple science - would you say it's worth doing it instead of double ( it takes up the same amoun of option blocks)?

ReputationRep:
    Triple science is definitely worth it.

I'm in Year 11 and take German, Spanish, triple science, geography, history and an FSMQ on top of the compulsory RE, maths, English lit. and English lang. Workload is fine, although geography does have some tedious coursework -.-
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ro96)
    Hi

I was just wondering whether people thought that it would be possible to manage to do well in these considering there would be loads of work involved ?

Current options I'm thinking of taking
    Triple Science
    German (Asset GCSE equivalent)
    AS religious studies
    History

or would you advise to do something else?
    Sounds like a good mix I did AS RS whilst doing GCSE's and it's a lot of fun, triple science is great, a language is really good, plus who can have a problem with history? :dontknow: very sound choices :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Only do AS Religious Studies if you have a good teacher! I did the GCSE short course, and with only half an hour a week on a Friday lunchtime and a not so good teacher to listen to (he was a funny guy, I must admit), the only way I managed the A* was by revising religiously a week or so before the exam. It was as though God had smote me, and then immediately forgave me afterwards. God is a mysterious Being.

Basically, I probably wouldn't have got an A had I'd done an AS in Religious Studies in the same circumstances. In fact, I would have probably failed. Either way, if you enjoy Religious Studies, and feel you can do well, then go for it! It will look impressive on your UCAS form if you decide to apply for university.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the support
    Because most of my friends are really creative and seem to think my options are a bit ridiculous... :L
    I really like RS/philosophy and all the teachers for AS are really good at my school.
    I've done well when we've been doing philosophy in RS this year, but i'm more doing it for enjoyment, as university seems so far away.

ReputationRep:
    I think they sound good.
    Triple Science - It's no problem really and we hardly ever got homework. It only gets difficult in the third unit, but even then you can drop down to double science if you want, so you're pretty safe of getting a good grade if you try.
    German (Asset GCSE equivalent) - A foreign language is always good.
    AS religious studies - Will probably be more difficult than your other subjects, but if you like it then great! Good for when you apply to uni too.
    History - A LOT of coursework it seems, but I think you'd manage it.

Good luck with GCSES! =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusty12)

Depends which exam board, really. My history coursework is piss easy, it's basically just copying up notes that the teacher has dictated to us in class.. my kind of coursework :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Depends which exam board, really. My history coursework is piss easy, it's basically just copying up notes that the teacher has dictated to us in class.. my kind of coursework :yes:
    Really? My school must just be unlucky. WJEC really seems to give a lot, like over 20 pages of essays. =S
    Still, I don't do History myself so I don't really know. =P

ReputationRep:
    Really? My school must just be unlucky. WJEC really seems to give a lot, like over 20 pages of essays. =S
    Still, I don't do History myself so I don't really know. =P
    Yuppers. I'm not sure which exam board we are, I think it's OCR :dontknow:
    I'm not complaining, though xP

Geography is the one that gets me. A 55 / 60 page essay on sea defences in Sheringham D:<

ReputationRep:
    Lots of subjects are changing from cousework to 'controlled assessments' - But I'm not sure how different that'll be...
    For History they've introduced a new module where we will do some independent research and then write it up in class instead of coursework
    at least I think...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's true. I had to do 6 pieces of RE coursework this year, and the people in the year below don't get any RE coursework. And I think they're getting rid of the awfully long and difficult coursework for WJEC Business Studies that I had to do. The next Year 11 will have way less!
    I suppose talking to your future subject teachers is the best way to find out about coursework and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I am working on a project at the moment looking at encouraging people to take modern languages at GCSE. We have to do one (French, German or Spanish) at our school but can take two if we want to. I think this is a good idea - modern languages are going to be helpful whatever career you go into. Much more useful than RS or drama I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are a number of important considerations. You need to try to work out what your enjoy because you are more likely to perform well in subjects that you find congenial. Also, try to work out what you will need for any future career plans, but bear in mind that these may change. In order to aim for your peak, it is first necessary to try to establish where this is. Your current results will provide some indication of this.

As you will know, much of the curriculum is prescribed. Options are then selected in such a way as to ensure that a balanced range of subjects is maintained. Languages will certainly stand you in good stead because these are in decline. History and English work well together, and you will use essay writing skills in Religious Studies too, even though you will probably find this more difficult. With science, you can always transfer to the Core and Additional option, if this is permitted at your school because the Triple version only requires an additional unit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.