Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Because it's hard to do any of those while simultaneously cooking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberone-outkast)
    the g forces are so great that if you are not trained you can pass out, you need to be strong enough to turn the steering wheel when the bends come which isn't as easy as it sounds and you need to do it for 2-3 hours in a race. your neck needs to strong enough to take the forces acting on them.
    I understand you need strong neck muscles.

I was contesting her saying that women could 'never' have neck muscles strong enough. Which it appears they do if they actually race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    My boyfriend's in a snooker league and also is the manager of a snooker club. There's not a single female in the snooker league (there's probably about 30-40 teams in it). I don't think there's ever been a woman who's played in the club while he's worked there, either.

If a woman did play, she'd have as much chance of being a good player as any individual man who played -- so not a very high chance at all. As it happens, loads of men play these games, so a fair few good players emerge.
    But is that really the case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsThisLife???)
    But is that really the case?
    Obviously I have not done a scientific study, but then neither have you, and I see no reason to believe that men would be inherently better at those games. Can you offer one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Why does everything have to descend into the same petty "if I actually wanted to do it I could do it better than you" argument.

There's plenty of valid reasons why it could be - reduced numbers due to social stigma and other commitments, lesser spatial awareness, etc. etc. - so why make such a childish statement as that?
    Funny, because I think I also said that " I imagine its just the social convention that more men play these sports" and consequently that is the reason why they are better. - Also implies a social stigma don't you think?

How is it a childish statement to suggest the possibility of equality amongst sexes? Or even the possibility that woman may out perform main in the aforementioned sports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Obviously I have not done a scientific study, but then neither have you, and I see no reason to believe that men would be inherently better at those games. Can you offer one?
    Likewise I am as knowledgeable as yourself which doesn't help. However, I believe that women simply don't have the ability to be as effective as males in terms of control and co-ordination of thier body parts such as hands for throwing etc. although I am more than likely to be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    I understand you need strong neck muscles.

I was contesting her saying that women could 'never' have neck muscles strong enough. Which it appears they do if they actually race.
    give me a good counter comment to argue against your comment, i cant think of anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberone-outkast)
    well then who is going to do the cooking and wash the dishes, while she is out there crashing the formula one car.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Because men aren't jealous.

Look at the X Factor. Girl groups who just want to show tits and ass never get far. Matter how good they are at singing. The truth is women are jealous of other women who do well for themselves.

Look at Cheryl cole. Loaded with cash, lives in a stunning house, can buy what ever she wants, gets black **** every night. She has it all. Women are just jealous c*nts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keithzor)
    Because men aren't jealous.

Look at the X Factor. Girl groups who just want to show tits and ass never get far. Matter how good they are at singing. The truth is women are jealous of other women who do well for themselves.

Look at Cheryl cole. Loaded with cash, lives in a stunning house, can buy what ever she wants, gets black **** every night. She has it all. Women are just jealous c*nts.
    Huh? What is your arguement here?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Huh? What is your arguement here?!
    Women who do well for themselves can buy what you can't have. Women hate this. Men aren't as bad when it comes to this.

Women should just get back into the kitchen and start cooking and going back to what they know. Now men have taken over as the best chefs. Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    oh no, not another one of these threads where everyone posts something sexist

ReputationRep:
    Women who do well for themselves can buy what you can't have. Women hate this. Men aren't as bad when it comes to this.

Women should just get back into the kitchen and start cooking and going back to what they know. Now men have taken over as the best chefs. Pathetic.
    you're pathetic. i've heard the "go back to the kitchen" thing so many times, can't you think of something else to say? :rolleyes:

gtfo, woman-hater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    How is it a childish statement to suggest the possibility of equality amongst sexes?
    Because the sexes aren't equal. A point which is often forgotten.

It is true to say that Snooker and Darts do not involve much physical activity but there are nevertheless aspects to them which I believe favour men. They were invented by men after all.

In Snooker, one has to be able to calculate angles and speeds in one's head. This is a mathematical problem which suits a male mind. In darts, there are similar angle calculations but also quite complex numerical manipulations in order to develop a strategy to acquire your points. There is also, as has been mentioned, an element of spatial awareness which is said to be easier to overcome with a male mind.

I accept the argument that, by and large, women do not seem interested in these games and do not like them. They are often regarded as pub games and we all know pubs tend to be associated with the working class male. I believe if women played these games more they would become more prominent in them. However, I also recognise the point that there are a few women who do play these games and to my knowledge not a single one has really been spectacular or has competed favourably with the men. On this point it might be advisable to remember that the opportunites for women to play men may be limited.

In this response I have tried to assimilate arguments from both sides. I agree that women are not very numerous in these sports and this disadvantages them but I also reject the theory that an equal number of participants would result in an equality of the result.

I think it is a bit silly to assume that men and women are exactly the same.

ReputationRep:

Why did she dump you? I'm sure it wasn't meant to be, just take it easy, one day at a time.

ReputationRep:
    In designated social roles, each are superior to the other, yes. We are not equal.

ReputationRep:
    Because they have 3 legs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    In designated social roles, each are superior to the other, yes. We are not equal.
    Having said that, men have excelled to an equal or better standard in cooking, fashion, hair etc. Is there a field where women completely dominate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsThisLife???)
    Why did she dump you? I'm sure it wasn't meant to be, just take it easy, one day at a time.
    I can have you killed..

ReputationRep:
    Formula 1 racing is one of the most physically demanding sports in the world :dry: To put it into perspective, a record breaking 7 time world champion hailed as the best racing driver in history failed to get back in a formula 1 car because his neck couldn't stand the forces and the abuse of a F1 car.

For the reference to motorsports, there is one big female star in america, danica patrick so it's not totally unheard of. Some things are more related to culture.

For example more girls like pink than boys do...not because pink is a femanine or non-masculin colour itself, but because culturally that's how it's percieved. It's the same with sports, there are just some things the majority of girls dont tend to get involved in...but I'm sure over the next few decades there'll be more females in the sports you've mentioned.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.