Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'd like some advice on studying postgraduate medicine. I'm 23 and a first year PhD student studying Immunology. My undergraduate degree is a 1st class BSc in Molecular Medicine. I have a good academic record: lots of awards, publications, etc.

Despite enjoying my PhD, I really want to abandon medical science and study medicine. I've wanted to study medicine for a while but I've always discouraged myself. With increasing exposure to clinical medicine,however, I've decided it's the path for me.

If I arrange some clinical work experience, would I be a suitable candidate for a 4 year medical degree provided I get a decent UKCAT score? My main concern is that an unfinished PhD will work against me. The interview panel might worry that I'll flake out on the medical degree.

Anyone have experience in a similar situation, or some advice to give? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you have funding for the rest of your PhD, why not finish it if you're enjoying it?

That way you'll have a very useful qualification to talk about at interview, you won't burn any bridges with those who are funding you now (and you might want to approach in the future for funding) and there's no chance of it counting against you.

ReputationRep:
    Could another option be to complete just one year of the phD & walk away with an MPhil / MSc by research type qualification?

The why not finish is all very well but if you know you want to do medicine now then another 2-4 years of phD could be frustrating AND then 4-5 of medicine before you start work. Depends how you find the phD lifestyle I suppose?

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna say can you leave it at a masters if you don't want to finish the PhD? One of my friends has done that.

You will need to get yourself some good work experience but otherwise I'd say go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I think getting your first class clearly shows that you're hard working and clearly not a flake out - as long as your able to clearly put across your strong desire to pursue medicine and ur reasons for choosing this path over finishing ur PhD the admissions team won't hold it against you

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion you should continue studying your PHD and apply for medicine at the same time. That way if you dont get into med you can at least finish off your PHD or quit depending on the outcome of your applications.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for it if you want it. It's obvious you put some thought into it, so there's no point pursuing immunology if you don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    I'd say go for it if you want it. It's obvious you put some thought into it, so there's no point pursuing immunology if you don't want to.
    Well applying for medicine isn't quite as intensive as studying medicine.

EDIT: Author of quote edited post before my post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    Well applying for medicine isn't quite as intensive as studying medicine.

EDIT: Author of quote edited post before my post.
    Sorry, realised what it said as I posted it :o:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.